New Peter Himmelman "Press On" (Oct 2019) - Kickstarter project

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

One of my favorite under-appreciated songwriters has almost reached his Kickstarter goal for his new album (11 days to go), so I thought I'd post here and see if we can't get a few more contributors to push it over the edge.

I've done a few threads on Peter in the past - he's a very literate songwriter (think Costello/Dylan/Graham Parker) with a bluesy rock sound. Tom Petty fans ought to dig him, too.

Anyway, I'm gonna alert the same people I did last time he had a new disc - that was an EXCELLENT release! Here's the kickstarter page, and you can hear samples of the songs (either demos or finished versions - I'm not sure):
    Press On. The New Recording By Peter Himmelman

Hopefully some of the following - who've commented favorably in other threads - might still be intrigued enough to consider chipping in: @kwadguy, @strummer101, @AKA-Chuck G, @poidog, @grbl, @nojasa, @tcj, @Thesmellofvinyl.

Here's a song from the last album. When people bemoan that there's no good new rock music around, it's because they aren't exploring enough.

Here's an old thread of mine on Peter, if anyone wants to check him out:
    Peter Himmelman - if you like Costello, Dylan, etc, give him a spin...

2. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Thanks for the heads up. Just made my pledge. Peter is an automatic buy for me. I love everything he’s ever done.

mrjinks and AKA-Chuck G like this.
  3. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

Thanks mrjinks for the heads up. I will check it out for sure.

Anyone interested in checking him out I would suggest starting with "From Strength to Strength". It's my favorite with my favorite song.

4. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I would give money if I could.

5. Isitquiex

Isitquiex Forum Resident

he's still one of my favorite songwriters and live performers ever - thanks for the alert!

6. mrjinks

I love hearing people say Peter's an "automatic buy". :)
    There are certainly albums I like better than others, but there are always some amazing songs. If I had to pick five, I think I'd go with:
    From Strength to Strength (1991)
    Flown This Acid World (1992)
    Imperfect World (2005)
    The Mystery And The Hum (2010)
    There Is No Calamity (2017)​

I love that I can pick two of his most recent three albums as being among his best. :righton:

7. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Totally agree. There are definitely albums I like better than others, but overall he’s been remarkably consistent. From Strength to Strength and Flown This Acid World are probably my two favorite albums of his, but I like his last few albums almost as much.

8. mrjinks

Pat yourself on the back, my friend, as the Kickstarter project was fully funded today (with 8 days to go).

We done good!
    :cheers:

strummer101 likes this.
  9. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Thanks. I have Synesthesia but kind of lost track of him.

mrjinks likes this.
  10. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Awesome! Thanks again for the heads up.

mrjinks likes this.
  11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Peter just released a new song...really good...I think any fan is gonna like this one:

Shelter in Peace:

12. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

@mrjinks , where does Love Thinketh No Evil fit in for you? I'm guessing not exactly essential?

13. mrjinks

Yeah, it’s a bit of a miss for me. My first time seeing him live was in 1994, supporting Skin. The follow up was a long wait after that. In the intervening years, I saw him live about 2x/year in Seattle and he played a lot of then-unreleased songs in concert. I couldn’t wait to hear the next album...

Then, iirc, it was announced for a 1998 release and shelved. I managed to get a promo copy (which had a slightly different tracklisting than the finished album):
    [​IMG]
    But my most-anticipated of his new songs (Racing Off To Nowhere) didn’t even make the cut. Nor did a couple others I’d quite enjoyed live (Still Don’t Know, Discipline of Rain) - I’d have to wait ANOTHER five years for those studio recordings (and be somewhat underwhelmed by the first two, upon hearing the finished product).

Some of the songs that did make the cut (Lifetime Too Late, for example) lost a lot of spark in the studio version, IMO. Add to that, the finished album kicked off with the new addition “Eyeball”, which I thought was just an idiotic song... I’ve grown to like the album, but don’t think up I could ever love it or recommend it for the (very few) folks that seem to show an interest in Peter.

manicpopthrill likes this.
  14. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Thanks. Sounds like the late 90s, early 00s were not the best (at least on record). I'll just stick with Flown and Strength for now.

mrjinks likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.