Parting with CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam9, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I wouldn’t blame any of this nonsense on liking music. Most people enjoy music just fine without twisting themselves into knots over it. It takes an audiophile perspective to achieve the hassle and headache.

2. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

It's not just that he has different views, he used the term zeitgeist, for Heaven's sake!

Papi Hipbone323 likes this.
  3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

This is a very interesting subject, at least for me. I'm Argentine and let's say I'm not fond of my country due to many reasons I will not mention here since we are not allowed to discuss politics in the forum (and rightly so!). One of the reasons I'm still living here are, believe it or not, my cd's. I know it would be impossible to move all my collection to another country without expending lots of money or jeopardizing its integrity. My collection consists of 1860 titles, and dozens of them are box sets, many of which feature very large packagings (Grateful Dead, I'm looking at you).
    My brother emigrated to Spain in 2002 and took with him a hundred or so of his cd's in one of those cases with inner wallets, a procedure that implied carrying the booklets separately and leaving the jewel boxes behind, of course. He had to leave many of his cd's here, anyway.
    I know I don't need all 1860 titles, but I don't imagine myself making a selection and trimming the quantity down to a hundred, it's absolutely impossible.
    Lately I've been avoiding box sets as much as possible, since I feel I should stop adding further burden to a potential emigration (being unemployed for the last three months has helped, but not that much, though :laugh: ).
    First world problem? Probably, but I know music fans will understand me.

4. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I was lucky when we relocated overseas; my wife was a returning national so we could bring a full container into the country, duty-free. I had designed a shelving unit for my music room in our apartment here. I knew how much space I'd have, so I gave about 800 LP's to a friend who does eBay auctions. Before leaving the US, I bought three Can-Am metal drawer units for my CD collection and I shipped it all over here, nearly 10,000 in number.
    [​IMG] ...not clutter. Definitely not clutter. I mean, what good would a few empty drawers do for anybody?

5. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

And people here aren’t ever over the top?

6. BluesOvertookMe

After reading this article, I'm not ready to call him a writer just yet.

7. BluesOvertookMe

Those people get put on the ignore list, if need be.

8. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Back in the robust brick & mortar music shop days, the sale of Used LPs and CDs was often the most profitable part of running an independent music shop. It allowed the stores to discount the retail price on new product to compete with the big chains, while simultaneously keeping their businesses afloat.

Nobody's blood pressure should go up fretting about used CD sales. It's silly. Taking a $4.99 punt on a CD often led to my buying multiple CDs by the same artist.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  9. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

Fantastic article! I felt as liberated as this man did when I greatly paired down my collection. All killer no filler as they say!

schnitzerphilip and Greenalishi like this.
  10. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Exactly. It's a whole economy in itself, since the shops have to pay tax on the buying and selling of used items, places like Amazon take a cut from the sale of all used media on their platform, and the availability of OOP and rare titles on the second hand market keeps websites and indie shops in business. The majority of these CDs are no longer in print, or if they are they are in a different version.

And this is before you also factor in the use of couriers and Royal Mail to send out used media, the interest in generates in often long-marginalised and forgotten artists, and so on.

But no, let's just hand over the entire history of recorded music to a select few corporations to provide for us, dependent on internet connection, granted access and monthly fees.

EG.

no.nine and Guy E like this.
  11. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

sounds like you just don't like an opinion that differs from yours....me personally I like hearing all sides and angles. Even some of the ridiculous comments in this particular thread

J Alesait likes this.
  12. LloydTheVoid

LloydTheVoid /ˈrez(ə)dənt/ Denizen

After reading the article and the posts on this thread, I'm headed out to get some more CDs for my collection. Happy listening everyone! :wiggle:

13. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

What do you do when you've pared your collection down to the bare minimum of nothing but killer and you still have about 13,000 CDs?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  14. BluesOvertookMe

Hopefully, you LISTEN to it!

15. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

I bought my last CD in 2008 and started selling them off soon thereafter. Haven't played a CD in years. I enjoy vinyl at home and mp3s in my car.

Rodz42 and schnitzerphilip like this.
  16. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

the people on this forum take everything personal. I can't imagine how they do on facebook or twitter

17. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Reminds me of this bit:

18. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

ANALOGUE OR DEATH Forum Resident

Agreed,minimalism is the scourge of the 21st century.

Man at C&A and Guy E like this.
  19. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

Yeah, I'm fairly similar in my disposition on CDs. I have em all on hard drive (backed up on an additional drive at home and on a 3rd drive off-site). I didn't believe I had any particular attachment either and had them boxed up for a few years after a move. But after a while, I missed them too much. So, after the purchase of several CD shelve units - out they came. Hence, I no longer think about getting rid of even those that have some value. The back up thing you mentioned is big along with the low resale value. I still play them on occasion in a 1961 Fisher console system I refurbished replacing the turntable with a 5-disk player.

action pact likes this.
  20. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I thought he sounded more like a person sharing his perspective on the article- I would assume the OP wants our perspective.. Apparently, you may not actually like "hearing all sides and angles."

Dave S likes this.
  21. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

I've read about half of this thread so far.Think the grief the guy who wrote the article is getting is a bit rough.

Seems that people are a bit unhappy because he seems to have fallen out of love with the medium,and that has touched a nerve with many.

Myself,I'm mainly a vinyl nut but I have a good few hundred CDS and enjoy owning them.

From what I understand of the article he is downsizing due to a move,which seems sensible.His choice of which albums he values over others is his personal musical choice,nothing to get bent out of shape by anyone else.

J Alesait and Greenalishi like this.
  22. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I've been doing this over time. Even gone through my few classical music cd's, soundtracks and comp cds. It's really a fun process. And liberating as well. Enjoyable to hear stuff you haven't heard in years and just cull stuff you don't like.

If i only like a couple songs i'll put 'em on my i tunes and get rid of the cd. My i tunes is like a mix tape of songs i dig.

mr. suit likes this.
  23. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

My heart bleeds for Axel Rose!

24. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

This Garth Brooks idea is foolish. What, no more Goodwill? No antique shops? No used appliance stores? No used book stores? These have been staple shops for years. A copy of Appetite For Destruction used ain't a sin. No matter what Garth says. There are used tractor auctions, should these be banned too , Garth?

25. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Sure they did.

Greenalishi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.