Okki Nokki vs Record Doctor V vs Squeaky Clean

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Positively Vinyl, Aug 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Positively Vinyl

Positively Vinyl Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I know I have been posting a lot but I need your guys' expertise on this. So essentially I think I have come down to these three. Okki Nokki is a little out of my price range and the thing is I want a vacuum-based machine. So which one would you recommend I get? I think I will go with Record Doctor V but I am willing to hear everyone out. (Someone is offering me a used Okki Nokki for 385$

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  2. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Of these three, I've only had the Record Doctor V, and just got it recently. One of the best purchases in a long time. Highly recommended. It is manual, so if that's an issue, you'll have to pay more, at least double. But otherwise it works great. I thought about the Spin Clean too, and I see some folks using both. It's a decent low budget option, but it still doesn't have the vacuum part of removing the debris, and I think that's key to cleaner records.

CCrider92 likes this.
  3. Positively Vinyl

Positively Vinyl Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Do you use the fluid that comes with Doctor V?

4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It's a personal decision, really. Was I happy to spend hundreds of dollars on the Okki Nokki? No, of course not! I'd rather spend that money towards actual records. However, the end result is that I was able to enhance my playback experience of most of almost all of my LPs with the help of that device and I appreciate its simplicity and straightforward operation.

Fortunately, unless it dies, it's a device that will only need to be bought once. Plenty of people have used this and other vacuum-based RCMs for many years and those who've experienced problems are in the minority so reliability of the design is pretty solid.

You haven't filled your profile so we have no idea whether spending X amount of money would be as beneficial in your case but there's no denying cleaning records makes an immediate positive impact on the listening experience.

CCrider92 likes this.
  5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I’ve owned both. The Omni has been a big disappointment (see the thread about warping arm tubes), if I could do it again it stick with the manual-turn machine.

(Well, if I could do it again I’d get a VPI, but...)

CCrider92 likes this.
  6. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Yes I do. I actually bought the unit with additional concentrate, smaller bottle than expected, and you mix it with a gallon of distilled water. That should last me years I think. I believe Record Doctor also recommends the Audio Intelligent fluids as well.

7. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

I just replaced my Record Doctor II with an Okki Nokki for just about the same price. No regrets. I use a computer all day with work, photograph holding the camera with my right hand so turning the record manually became more and more of a strain. Besides the Okki Nokki looks a lot nicer!

By the way, I bought L'Art Du Don concentrate on sale. I use it without a rinse look others on this board. It works well and should last me several years.

8. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Ive only used the Project RCM and Cadence Okki model.
    I really like the platterless Project but the Okki turning speeds are slower which I prefer. Both have steel arms.

The RDV is manual as you know and requires records to be cleaned upside down which is a hastle. But if you want to save the cadh its probably nearly as effective if you maintain the machine well.

9. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I've had an RD III for near 16 years now. I bought a batch of disgustingly filthy 45's last week and the RD made them look and sound darn near new!

classicrocker likes this.
  10. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Not sure how it's much of a hassle. You just turn it over, and let gravity help with the suction, actually seems to make more sense to me. I wonder how much "liquid" actually accumulates in the machine. I keep the plug pulled out, and nothing comes out. But I only do 1 or 2 records at a time.

classicrocker likes this.
  11. Leonthepro

It is when you apply a lot of liquid and some drips off on the machine for example. I use a lot when cleaning with my Okki so I can see that happening needing cleanup. You should also fill your machine with water after a dozen or so records, let it rinse out the stuff you suck up.

12. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Gotcha. I don't use a ton of liquid, pretty much follow their video, so when I flip my record over, nothing is really just falling off, but I can see how it would if you do. I didn't even think about filling up the machine with water to clean it out, makes sense though. Most of my records that I've used it on so far are often new, so there isn't much that's really getting sucked into the machine. But that will change with me adding more used records in the future.

13. Leonthepro

Trust me, even new records that look clean will have lots of stuff coming off. You can try it now, fill it up with a lot of water, let it soak a bit and empty it in a cup. It will likely have a lot of dirt in it, unless its already cemented in the machines fluid tank.

I hope you clean your velvet strips at least.

14. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

IMO you don't need so much fluid that it drips down for the RDV to be effective. But then again since I do preclean in the Spin Clean and give it a quick wipe with a microfiber cloth to get off the excess fluid maybe I don't need as much fluid with the RDV.

Even if I don't wipe the LP off after the Spin Clean it really does not drip and make a mess. I do it as it speeds things up.

15. Leonthepro

You might be right, Im just in the habit since my first mistake using RCMs was using too little fluid and effectively making my records very static.

16. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I've owned both the Record Doctor and an Okki Nokki. I still have the Okki Nokki. Mine is the older MkI design with the aluminum wands. I will state that both work. While the RD is much cheaper, it also has many disadvantages. So let's start with whether or not you want to add a rinse cycle into your cleaning process. The RD makes it awkward because you have to flip the record back and forth. It's feasible, but still awkward. Manually turning the record is also awkward. KAB sells a replacement needle bearing that is larger than the stock bearing, I think spending money on this upgrade makes a lot of sense to reduce the awkwardness. The motorized turntable of the Okki Nokki completely removes the awkwardness.

The other advantage of the Okki Nokki is the vacuum itself. As thing go, the Record Doctor is a lot louder. It's tolerable for a few records as you don't have the vacuum on the entire time, but it does get annoying if your are cleaning large batches.

Ultimately, the decision of one over the other is cost. If you can afford the Okki Nokki, it's a better experience. But it's also over double the cost of the Record Doctor. It's hard to recommend one over the other without knowing how much $300-$400 will affect someone financially. These are both luxury items, but how much luxury can someone afford? If you want a higher quality of life, spend the extra money. If you have less means, the RD is a better than not having a vacuum solution. I personally don't think any of the cheaper vacuum solutions are better than RD. It's cheap and you have a single device. You other option is going into the garage to get the wet vac. I guess if you already have one, it makes sense to go with something like a Squeaky Clean. But if you have to purchase one to get it to work, just buy the RD instead.

CCrider92 likes this.
  17. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

18. Gary Karczewski

Gary Karczewski Active Member

No one mentioned the Squeaking Clean Record Cleaning Machine? I had a friend of mine who is into vinyl who swears by it for the following reasons.
    1. Well built.
    2. Easy to use
    3. Comes with a great surfactant to make your own cleaning solution up to one gallaon
    4. Very compact and easy to store in a drawer or cabinet.
    5. Utilize a simple inexpensive shop vacuum. (Walmart has a great one for $20.00)
    6. Cost $125 plus shipping, vacuum cost is extra but as stated a good one can be had for about $20. Total cost is about $165.00 for me.
    7. Reviews are excellent per results.

Arliss Renwick likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.