Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

A complete song for a change. :)

Yayastone likes this.
  2. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

I don't hear too much difference. A bit more reverb and a bit brighter but that suits the overall context of the mashup mixes.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  3. Contact Lost

Contact Lost Forum Resident

I think that whatever version of Something 2019 is available now (YouTube, Vevo, Streaming etc) is possibly based on the CD version with some limiting applied (DR value is around 8.2). It is overall, a louder mix than the 2009 stereo, especially vocals in the beginning. IMO, it means that drums might be even less dominant than previously, but there are other variables too.
    Let's see if BluRay will have unlimited files with higher DRs like 10-11, who knows. It might give slightly different perception of drums. So far, I think that 2019 mix is better than the 1+, but I really like the tenderness and rhythm section of the original.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  4. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Their reasoning is “we are selling you something new, a new stereo mix, plus outtakes”.
    I suspect that including the mono Pepper in that 2017 box was just to give the uninitiated a chance to hear what Giles was going for, a stereo-ised mono version.

As for including the original stereo versions of WA and AR in the 2018 and 2019 boxes, it only serves to give everyone yet another copy of something they already bought on cd twice before, and have heard a million times past memorization, and further it drives the retail price of the boxes up even more.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  5. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Well it was George’s synth, and if he had strings on the track there probably wasn’t much room for anything else on the eight-track master.

AFOS, vonwegen and Lewisboogie like this.
  6. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

The original mixes are not going out of print. They never will! So buyers have the option of getting the original mix or the new mix in the anniversary package in a variety of formats. If one doesn't have the original mix but wants both the original and the new mix, they can buy the original mix on CD and the 2CD anniversary edition, and have the original mix, a new mix and a disc of outtakes all for about $40 or less.

7. beatleroadie

The Moog and the band's interest in it and use of it on four AR songs will probably receive attention in the deluxe book, and I'm looking forward to reading about it for sure!

pablo fanques, audiotom, AFOS and 4 others like this.
  8. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

You seem pretty confident about that. Are we sure?

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  9. beatleroadie

While at some point it's possible the new mixes may be the only ones available on streaming services (but as of now, that's not the case), I really don't think the original mega-selling mixes of these albums will go out of print in physical format. There would be no need to do that. It's really not that complicated to have two versions of every album, with one clearly marked as "Anniversary Edition" and "New Mix" etc...Apple would be giving up $ if they kill the originals. We'll see, but I have all the original mixes on CD safe and sound, so I don't have a stake in the game going forward I guess.

Maybe Apple will be diabolical once all the remixes are out, and let the originals go OOP. Then a decade later they'll have a revival campaign and reintroduce the "Classic Mixes" (original Help and Rubber Soul mixes re-canonized, too) LOL. Whatever. I think it's best for fans not to stress about it. Just enjoy this amazing music.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  10. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

Take all your money you saved up for this upcoming box set and spend it on the Toshiba Black Triangle cd. I guarantee the sound quality will never be topped!

11. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Yes, and having a space-burble sound in the background would've sounded cheesy and very out of place on that song.

The sounds they did get out of the Moog do work well on "Heavy", "Maxwell" and "Sun" though.

mbleicher1 likes this.
  12. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I'd rather buy the new single LP and enjoy the new mix elements.

Got the original mix on my vintage Apple LP from back in the day, and it still plays great.

13. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Speaking from my own experience with Cool Edit, start with the drum roll, then do a cross-fade.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  14. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

Eh, I'd rather have the 2019 mix.

:-popcorn:

15. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Gimme more of that centered drums & bass :edthumbs:

16. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

And the bonus tracks and book.

17. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I think anyone who wanted to find the original mixes would be able to find them somewhere. 50 years of sales and all that.

18. beatleroadie

Yes exactly. Worst case scenario is you have to order them from TheBeatles.com. But I don't even see them ever being that "hard" to find even.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  19. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Don't forget "Because"! That momentary horn-like burble thing the Moog does on that track is fantastic.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  20. beatleroadie

I wonder if take 1 of Because will have Moog or what instruments will be on it? Maybe just harpsichord, guitar and bass?

21. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Seriously? Why is there such paranoia regarding the future availability of the original mixes? Don’t all of you have multiple copies of the original across several mediums already?

22. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

:rolleyes:

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  23. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

1. How does Apple know how many copies of any given album I've bought on CD? [Hint: They don't.]
    2. Adding 49 minutes of audio to the Bluray can't drive up the retail price very much if at all. Once it's coded on the master, there is no additional replication cost. It's not like they're including an additional disc for it....
    3. It's not just another copy if it is a flat transfer with minimal-to-no compression.

24. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

Paranoia? Just wondering what my future grandson will be likely to hear in 20 years' time when he decides to check out what all the hype was about with this ancient rock band.

MPLRecords likes this.
  25. Radagast

Radagast Forum Resident

I think what people are asking for, certainly what I'd like to hear, is the original mix in high resolution on the blu-ray. Abbey Road on original LP sounds very good. The CD not nearly as good, and I suspect that is a 16-bit issue.

vivresavie and jmxw like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.