MoviePass Drops to $9.95 a Month For a Movie a Day

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 15, 2017.

1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Oh, it makes sense that you'd avoid films you aren't likely to enjoy (I try to do that too!). But I still find them. Or I find films I'm very underwhelmed with.

I recently saw "The Art of Self Defense", for example. The trailer looked like a terrific black comedy and there were elements of the movie that lived up to that for me. However, there was a lot that just didn't connect, or fell flat, IMO. I might be able to give it a 3-star review, but I couldn't recommend it.

In recent months, I saw M. Night's "Glass" movie (was part of a friend's birthday celebration). I thought it was awful, though the previous (linked) film was fairly entertaining. Ditto "Venom" (again, a big group selected the film). But Vickie liked both, and they rate 37% and 29% on RT.

I would just expect her to wander into more films that she finds underwhelming but - admittedly - I haven't perused her twitter feed that much yet.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. Ah ol' snowy. I think he got booted from the forum.

Oatsdad, mrjinks and RayS like this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

She is also somewhat phobic about spoilers, so after seeing a trailer tends to avoid reviews until she has had a chance to see it herself.
    We both thought it was a decent exploration of "toxic masculinity" and getting too far into a situation than you intended. A bit like the 2010 film Super in that way - you don't expect to see one of the main characters head blown off. Not as much of a dark comedy as the trailer presented, but remember what Roger Ebert said: "The trailer is the film the studio wishes they made."

We saw Glass together. I hated it, she liked it.

If anything, she will tend to error on the side of "You might like this" rather than delivering a verdict from the top of Mount Olympus like some. But on the other hand, she can clue you into a lot of tiny films that you might miss.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

My post didn't discuss my opinion of the film - it discussed the mass of critics' opinions of the film.

You tried to make this a "boys vs. girls" thing, with the implication women "got" the film and men didn't.

The reviews don't support that.

Also, as I noted, the "sexist males don't like female empowerment movies" concept still doesn't explain why "Widows" - a very very very similar film - got great reviews last year.

Feel free to change the subject so you can insult me, but that doesn't relate to the discussion at hand...

5. Oatsdad

Snowy started to turn on MP eventually, though. I felt shocked that he finally saw the light! :D

Shawn and mrjinks like this.
  6. Oatsdad

"The Kitchen" isn't a bad movie because of its supposed feminist themes.

It's a bad movie because it comes with crummy storytelling, underdone characters and cliches galore.

Some people - ahem - may want to convince us that it's just male chauvinist pigs who dislike the movie, but that's a crock.

It's a watchable movie - I didn't want to slash my wrists at any point during my screening - but I recognized it was a poorly constructed film that didn't work...

Crimson jon and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I want to see Dora The Explorer.

As I'm currently around the vicinity of Knoxville, where Regal Cinemas are headquartered, I think I will take up their unlimited pass offer. All of their theaters up in this area are the ones that you can attend with the $18/mo. pass.

I discontinued the A-List before the beginning of July, due to there not being any theaters in the areas that I have been in.

I could drive to Knoxville once a week to do a movie day.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  8. SandAndGlass

After my previous post last night, I joined the Regal Unlimited.

I drove to Knoxville earlier today and watched Dora the Explorer and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

I liked them both. Did have to pay 57¢ each for online booking fees, but I found out that you can book them at the box office also.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

Yeah, Vickie is perfectly fine with doing everything at the booth or kiosk for free.

10. mrjinks

Are they letting you use kiosks? I thought they wanted to verify ID in the Regal plan.

11. Chris DeVoe

Oh you're probably right. She's home in Chicago while I'm down in Kansas City and she got it after I had left.

12. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Hey! I just deleted the old MoviePass app off my iPhone and installed it again, and now it works! Seems like they don’t want you to tell you to do this so they can charge you without you using it.

13. mrjinks

Yeah, the inability to use kiosks - if I read that part right - is a big disincentive for me. I don't want to pay an additional fee (even a measly 50 cent fee/movie) to book in advance. The principal of it irks me.

But I also don't want to wait in line when I shouldn't have to. Having viewed the lobby of the big Regal multiplex here over many years does not speak well to the intelligence of my fellow citizens. I'll routinely walk in to buy a movie ticket and see 20-40 people waiting in line for a cashier to buy their tickets while none of the kiosks are occupied. DUH!!! Why would you wait in line for 15 minutes when you don't have to? If I have to stand in line on a regular basis with idiots who can't figure that out, I'd likely go postal...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

Since the card is a virtual one that's done by the Regal app, in theory they could produce a specific QR code that is serialized to that phone, and use that in conjunction with the scanner at the kiosk.

At least that's how they do it but they didn't hire me to design it.

15. SandAndGlass

When you install and activate the Regal app for the unlimited plan, you use your phone to take a photo of your face that the system stores to use as an ID.

Being new, I spoke to the people at the Regal in Knoxville yesterday and they confirmed that I could use the kiosks in the lobby or get my tickets at the box office.

I will try this the next time.

While the Regals' plan provides unlimited movies, vs. the three movies a week for AMC's A-Plus, either plan would probably be sufficient for most movie goers(other than Vicky!).

The other main difference, is that the Regal does have that 50¢ online booking fee that AMC does not.

And, the Regal Unlimited plan only applies for regular "standard" movie showings, where the AMC does not place any movie or venue limitation.

You can still see other "special" movies, like 3D, IMAX, RPX, ScreenX and foreign language films.

You can still view these films but there will be an upcharge for doing so, sort of like the upcharge that the AMC's charge during $50 Tuesdays.

brownie61, Chris DeVoe and mrjinks like this.
  16. mrjinks

$50 Tuesdays! That is quite an upcharge.

:winkgrin:

Shawn, brownie61 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

It's a $45 "convenience fee". Apparently they have a vice president who used to be with Ticketmaster.

18. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

What happened to talking about MoviePass?...which seems to be up and running again for many...

19. Chris DeVoe

No idea. Between AMC's A*List and Regal's Unlimited, Vickie is seeing about as many films as she can. The original pre-$9.99 MoviePass would be useful to cover all the art houses like Gene Siskel, Music Box and Landfill.

Edit: I just checked and their web site says:

Big Changes are coming.
    For the past several months, MoviePass™ has been working hard to improve our groundbreaking subscription service to ensure it meets the vision that we have for it. We are temporarily not accepting new subscribers as we work on these improvements.

Please enter your email below and you will be notified when we are accepting new subscribers to our improved service.​

Technically speaking, bankruptcy would be a "big change".

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

We need to wait to find out what Vickie thinks. That’s what this thread has become...Vickie’s thoughts on things filtered through Chris.

Crimson jon, Oatsdad and Stanley1970 like this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

She canceled her MoviePass account. You snark, but she was a MoviePass subscriber before the $9.99 price and loved it when she was paying $45 a month. It was sustainable at that price but couldn't reach "escape velocity" and acquire millions of customers.

Jrr and SandAndGlass like this.
  22. SandAndGlass

Just F.Y.I.

In select theaters, Regal is showing Woodstock, the Director's cut, tomorrow 8/15 only.

trumpet sounds and Chris DeVoe like this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

Many thanks!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Yes the kitchen is horrible. It's like the Ghostbusters reboot but set in the goodfellas universe. Watched it free still couldn't even finish it.

25. mrjinks

SandAndGlass and RayS like this.