Poll - Do you like drum solos?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cgw, Aug 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

... bathroom/refreshment break ;)

2. Backdrifter62

Backdrifter62 Forum Resident

I seldom like drum solos except the drummer being Bill Bruford or Phil Collins (Genesis era).

3. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Just if they are from guys like Max roach, Art blakey and Shelly manne..

davmar77 likes this.
  4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Eric's Carr or Singer yes
    Peter Criss no

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  5. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

Only really short, easy drum solos that end in a 3 way guitar battle and capped off with a poignant outro verse contemplating the nature of love

6. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

I actually enjoy an extremely long drum solo, especially if it’s part of a song that is jammed out to begin with....

for example check out Canned Heat’s “Refried Boogie” from their Living the Blues LP (1968)....that track goes on some 40 minutes over 2 sides of the double record. There’s a bass solo, then a guitar solo. Finally the drum solo. It’s such a thrill to hear so much jamming, I feel that the track would be lacking something without the drum solo.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  7. irender

irender Forum Resident

Only if they’re short and sweet like Ringo’s on The End, Bonham’s short solo at the end of Rock And Roll.

Other than that I’m not a fan. And I’d like to take this time to apologize to all who had to sit through mine when I played. Sorry.

8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Depends on the band/drummer.

9. Norman garriock

Norman garriock Forum Resident

I love the bass solo followed by the drum solo on RoryGallagher live in Europe 72. Short and sweet and perfectly integrated into the track.

10. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

Sure, as with all instruments, drums should lend themselves to the whole. But I enjoy well placed and nicely executed drum solos now and then. Drum solos aside, I always pay close attention to percussive elements in music. In my opinion and being mostly interested in vintage pop, creative and skillful percussion has been a dying artform for decades, especially with the advent and overuse of drum machines and computers. A favorite percussive instrument of mine rarely heard nowadays in pop is the vibraslap. R&B bands of yore often made good use of them. The band "WAR" used it to great effect.

11. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Was in a record store today and the clerk was spinning the Bluesbreakers LP... I was trying not to burst out laughing during that train wreck of a drum solo in What I'd Say but wasn't successful, much to the annoyance of fellow shoppers... even as a kid, that one annoyed me... 40 years later I have to wonder did the other guys in the group really think THAT was the performance?

12. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I voted "no" but

I love the "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" solo... and like Ginger Baker's on "Do What You Like" (on Blind Faith).

[​IMG]

Umbari and YardByrd like this.
  13. sddoug

sddoug Music Aficionado

The only use for a drum solo is to take a bio break. Otherwise they serve no purpose but to satisfy the drummers ego.

14. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

Typically, no. Soemetimes they can go on a bit too long. If I was a drummer, I'd probably get more out of the technical aspects of any given solo. But, there have been exceptions. I saw Fleetwood Mac during the time Rick Vito and Billy Burnette were with the band and Mick played the best and most entertaining drum solo I have ever seen. At one point he came out from behind his huge kit wearing this "vest" that he kept playing his solo on. I don't know what it was, never saw one before or since. Anyway, Mick put on quite the show that night. He's a hell of a drummer!

carlwm likes this.
  15. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

I prefer a good toothache :)

16. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Is that the LP with Clapton on it?

I'm sure I've heard the solo but can't remember it being particularly bad. What song is it on?

17. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

i prefer drum solos to bass solos

willwin likes this.
  18. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

I hate tambourine solos, I've walked out on a few of those

19. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

I dig this

GrahamBW likes this.
  20. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Yes, Clapton era LP... their cover of What I'd Say... Clapton comes in at end of drum solo with Day Tripper quote, trying to salvage it but the damage has been done...

Mook likes this.
  21. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Yeah, it's very seldom that live rock bass solos are very interesting . . . or musical.

22. Octavia

Octavia Forum Resident

My ideal kind of drum solo is like Brian Downey’s climactic end to Sha La La from Thin Lizzy’s Live & Dangerous. It feels like a justified continuation of the high-speed pummelling that has propelled the track from the start and doesn’t go on (and on) as these showpieces too often do.

23. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I think they're cool for about 2 or 3 minutes. A great drummer can make it work, but the greatest drummer can't do much more in 8 minutes that he couldn't do in 3. I mean, I've seen Neil Peart, Marco Minneman, Carl Palmer, Simon Phillips, Phil/Chester, Mike Portnoy, Eric Singer, Mick Fleetwood, and a bunch of others all do it. And I think it's cool they get a moment in the show, and it's fun to see some of these guys shred and do tricks...but that moment always goes on far longer than it needs to.

And I generally feel this way about any unaccompanied solo spot on any instrument...the part of live performances I love is watching musicians interact and play off each other and hearing how the pieces come together. A couple minutes for the rest of the band to take a breather is fine, but more than that and it just gets tedious, for the most part.

24. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Yeah, that was one thing I never liked about KISS live--the obligatory every guy gets a solo thing, where it was always obvious that the real point of them was to give everyone three breaks and to lengthen the set without needing more tunes. I would have rather heard three more songs for those 15 minutes or whatever it worked out to.

walrus likes this.
  25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah, in a normal band situation, I get it, because the singer needs a little break now and then, but with Kiss it never really made sense to me, since they always had 3 (if not 4) members who could sing lead, and if Paul (or Gene, I guess) was struggling a little vocally one night, they could've always swapped in an extra Gene or Peter/Ace/Eric-sung tune instead. Granted, Kiss was never known for mixing up their setlists, but that's their own fault.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.