Neil Young's lead guitar playing...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by coot, Aug 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coot

coot Forum Resident Thread Starter

There's somewhat of a small sample size but he can rock..His leads on "Like a hurricane" and "Powderfinger" although unorthodox are awesome:righton:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  2. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

... peaked in 1967 with Buffalo Springfield.

3. jfire

jfire Forum Resident

He does a helluva lot with essentially one note on "Down By the River."

4. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

His playing is very inspired!

5. Suncola

Suncola Possibilities

"Cinnamon Girl", too!

6. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I love watching him play and wrench those notes out of his guitar. His live tone is unreal. I could watch him play for hours.

7. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Somewhat small sample? :confused: The guy's been bringing it for 50 years.

Rat Salad, linklinc, Ray29 and 12 others like this.
  8. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

"The Whizzer" is in full effect here.

pexie, linklinc, groundharp and 6 others like this.
  9. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

I love his guitar in Cortez The Killer plus it’s just one of his greatest songs and the extra length to it really makes it all so special.

10. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Fairly common knowledge...

Smith, gonz and tkl7 like this.
  11. drumandguitar

drumandguitar Forum Resident

Just go and listen to Cortez the Killer as an example. It doesn't get more real. Give me that over a Yngwie Malmsteen widdly solo any day.

12. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

And one note on "Cinnamon Girl" -- only Neil could pull something like that off and make it sound so cool :righton:

Pa sent me money now
    I'm gonna make it somehow
    I need another chance
    You see your baby loves to dance
    Yeah...yeah...yeah.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  13. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I love his lead guitar playing — it zeroes right in on the part of my brain's pleasure center where I get moved emotionally by lyrical beauty — but I'm also mildly obsessed with the fact that George Harrison thought he was a terrible guitar player.

14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I used to think he was awesome. Upside: there's no denying the explosive creativity of something like the solo in Cinnamon Girl. But CG is a great song soDownside: I think most of his better solos are attached to be better songs. His playing doesn't elevate lesser material. (See the American Dream album, for instance). The more I study guitar the more intentionally primative he seems.

Upside: That's not a bad thing: anyone can practice scales and built up speed, and use pedals to sound impressive. He clearly intends to communicate in some emotionally primal manner, and its refreshing to hear that.

Downside: when he runs out of ideas, his lack of technical ability doesn't carry him very far.

Upside: he's capable of surprise. I only recently learned he played the solo that opens CSN&Y's 'Woodstock'. Always thought that was Stills. Downside: Haven't heard much like that from Neil. IMO, he needs a catalyst or a foil or a kick in the ass or a Briggs-like producer to help him hone his better instincts. And too bad Crazy Horse tour with Nils (who is approximately 10,000 times better than Poncho) is canceled. Check out Mark Howard's new 'Listen Up' book for what it's like to be in the studio with the Neeler.

mooseman, pexie, zphage and 8 others like this.
  15. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Nobody plays Neil Young guitar better than Neil Young.

16. coot

coot Forum Resident Thread Starter

beat it troll...even you wont' take down this benign topic:waiting:

Skydog7, keyse1, conjotter and 4 others like this.
  17. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

Duane Allman didn't like his playing either.

"I don’t like that cat’s stuff, especially his guitar playing. He should stick to rhythm work. Maybe it’s the guitar playing that makes me not like the songs. Seems like he just uses the guitar as a vehicle for his songs. It’s just a craft. For me it’s an art."

THE LAST INTERVIEW WITH DUANE ALLMAN

chrisblower, Skydog7, zphage and 6 others like this.
  18. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

His lead playing is almost as recognizable as his singing.

peskypesky, pinkrudy, KariK and 13 others like this.
  19. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Be careful going down this road. I was an English major in college until I realized it was sucking my love of reading -- everything I picked up I started to critically analyze and mark up. Took the magic entirely.

When the critical analysis of technique starts to limit the emotional magic of the playing itself -- there is a problem. This is a balance that must be sustained. (And yes -- I know we all analyze the hell out of everything on this board -- I'm well aware of my hypocrisy -- especially as a Dead fan.)

This isn't really directed at you, just an unsolicited, unwelcome, general observation.:laugh:

20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

. . . Sounds like he is tripping his face off - passionate, expressive, primitive and sloppy

He is one of a kind and very moving at times

peskypesky, Jimmy Jam, Zack and 8 others like this.
  21. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

The definition of RAW energy. Love how he jumps around when doing his solos.

22. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

The Joe Cocker of guitar playing.:winkgrin:

23. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

That is his art, at least it seems like it to me anyway. In a song like Cortez the Killer, a song that's explicitly all about anguish, by using melody and also his great guitar tone and skronky noise-driven feedback, Young crafts a guitar solo that emotionally matches that anguish.

24. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

He does crap on even the most harmless of threads...

Skydog7 and coot like this.
  25. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I love Neil Young and have always been a fan of his lead work. As a musician I’m very influenced by his style (which is both good and bad).

Not everything he plays lead on is a home run; it indeed helps when the song is a great one (hello, Powderfinger). It is rare that his playing elevates a poor song (though his playing on the unreleased Gonna Rock Forever is an exception to this rule. Hella dumb song; great playing).

I think the sweet spot for a memorable NY jam is anywhere from 5-8 minutes. I guess that is why I’m such a fan of studio versions of Cortez, Hurricane, Powderfinger, Over and Over and Country Home. Long enough to take you to a different place; short enough to leave you wanting a bit more.

When I hear other Neil fans crow “he played a 22 minute version of Love and Only Love!!!!!” I don’t get very excited as it’s rare I’ve heard Neil sustain the zone for that long.

Aside: he’s got some cool, taut short solos too that are cool: Barstool Blues, Lookout Joe, Mr Soul (BS and Trans,) Stupid Girl, Bite the Bullet)...he doesn’t get too much credit for the short solos, but they can be pretty awesome.

And how about Sedan Delivery? Pretty brilliant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.