Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

I think the new version of AMLOR is to explore the what ifs...had the three remaining members contributed equally on the project.

I don't think it's to de-80's-ize the production values, I think that's a rather silly idea, considering all the PF albums have some style and production that ties them to the time they were recorded.

The technology was new at the time, and PF did what they always did-push new techniques and sounds forward. Wasn't AMLOR one of the first albums to use digital sequencing and recording?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Polyscias and mark winstanley like this.
  2. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Can't comment on sequencing, but Digital recording was around long before AMLOR.

From Wikipedia:

November 28, 1977: Denon brings their DN-034R to New York City's Sound Ideas Studios and records Archie Shepp's On Green Dolphin Street, making it America's first released digitally-recorded commercial album.[3] The following two days, November 29-30, Frank Foster and the Loud Minority record Manhattan Fever which is released April 1978.[3] Five other jazz albums are recorded with the DN-034R in New York before it returns to Japan in December.

July 11, 1979: the first U.S.-recorded digitally-recorded LP of popular music (with vocals), Bop 'Til You Drop by guitarist Ry Cooder, was released by Warner Bros. Records. The album was recorded in Los Angeles on a 32-track digital machine built by the 3M corporation. [27][28] Also, Stevie Wonder digitally recorded his soundtrack album, Journey Through the Secret Life of Plants, three months after Cooder's album was released, followed by the Grammy-award self-titled debut album of American singer Christopher Cross. Cross' album is the first digitally recorded album to chart in the US (coincidentally also winning 5 Grammys).

September 5, 1982: Peter Gabriel releases his fourth studio album (titled Security in North America and Peter Gabriel IV elsewhere).[36] When released on CD in October 1984 it becomes the first full-digital DDD release. It was recorded on Sony's Mobile One digital studio[37] and mixed with a Sony PCM-1610.[38]
    October 1, 1982: The Nightfly by Donald Fagen is released, recorded and mixed on 3M's 32-track recorder. When the CD is issued in 1984 it becomes another early DDD release.

3. kenanna

kenanna Well-Known Member

That would be juuuust fine with me. I agree with posnera about the dreck. Standalone blue rays & dvd audio would sell like hotcakes, but they market nonsense.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  4. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

I was listening to AMLOR again today in the car while driving through mountains (we are on vacation in Bosnia) and I realized that the album just gets better and better every time I listen. The song flow is really great especially the more experimental stuff. My least favourite track is probably One Slip as I don't think it really fits the mood of the rest of the album and it's the most 80s song IMHO, but I still enjoy it enough not to skip it.
    I will be really interesting to hear the new mix :)

5. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

I agree with this. My guess is that the AMLOR remix is not an overt attempt to "de-80's" the album, but as you say, see "what if" we had used less drum machines, more Rick B-3, more analog drums.... (which is kind of de-80's -ing the thing, lol!)

And, in the end, it may actually sound less "eighties" after all, though that may not necessarily be the goal. Not necessarily less 80's, but yes more Floydy!

St. Troy, enro99, RangerXT and 3 others like this.
  6. fluxkit

fluxkit Things that don't swing are meaningless.

The 70s and 80s were the two most adventurous and excellent decades in popular music. Many 70s artists just went through rough patches in the 80s, as some 60s artists did in the 70s. But I find no problem with AMLOR in that regard. About Face has more of the obvious question marks about trying to sound contemporary and pop at times. But so it goes. I still like About Face better than his first solo album, which sounds much more "dated" to me. Maybe it is just a matter of tastes.

7. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Everything music is.

8. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I suspect this opinion is based on your age. Someone 20 years older than you might say the same thing about the music of their formative years, and someone 20 years younger than you may say the same thing about their musical era.

Thing is, nobody is wrong, for their own particular taste and interest.

9. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

Sorrow is worth a listen as during the final solo the band miss the cue from David and play on as he starts the outro chords @34.18 -25secs

overall is a good show lots of energy and excellent playing from David and the entire band

10. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Cant remember if this has been previously shared here...

Runicen, drum_cas, mattazing and 13 others like this.
  11. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

Is that going to be included as an extra?

12. wilberforce55

wilberforce55 Forum Resident

BBQ tools?

How can David be so stoic in not wanting to mil the brand by going out on a tour (where he would make hundreds of millions) yet allow the brand name to be cheapened by crap like this

Brautigan, aphexj and rontoon like this.
  13. fluxkit

fluxkit Things that don't swing are meaningless.

Well I was born in 1979. I only said this to counter the general 80s bashing.

14. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

Isnt that more down to the marketing department and management and not David when it comes down too branding products to sell worldwide. As those items i don't think are on the offical Pink Floyd website.

15. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

I think the problem that a lot of the artists that got big in the 60s and 70s and then tried to adapt new techniques and technology faced in the 80s is that they were, well, new to it. They tried to mix in what they were used to with something they weren't and it created a very dated sound that didn't age well. Compare this to bands like Depeche Mode or really any band that started out with this same technology. That was their thing, they honed their skills on it. It wasn't a gimmick or a way to try to freshen up their style for the kids of the 80s. That was their sound. I'm all for any artist to explore and experiment, but sometimes they should stick with what they know. Not always, but sometimes.

The 80s was a weird time for older acts. I'm certainly not bashing on it. I was born in 76 and grew up on the 80s music. I love so much of it. I just have to chuckle when I hear so many big artists from before trying to stay relevant during that period. Many of them just ended up putting out some embarrassing albums. Then the mid 90s hit and a lot of them kind of refound that thing that made them who they were and expanded upon it.

16. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

Pink Floyd Animals BBQ tools: For “Pigs on the... Grill”. Perfect.

17. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Grill tools are available, linked directly from pinkfloyd.com:
    Other Accessories | Shop the Pink Floyd Official Store

The buck stops with David and Nick when it comes to all of this stuff. Merchandise, artwork, everything.

Of course they don’t design everything, but they either sign off on the items or hire/fire the people who approve those items.

aphexj and Azza200 like this.
  18. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

true and we got marbles says it all really when they think its what we want in a box set for DSOTM :wtf:

Billy Infinity likes this.
  19. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

So you didn't don your DSotM scarf and head down to the playground with your marbles to win some cats eyes after your Immersion box set arrived?!

Runicen and Chip Z like this.
  20. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Silly, although I like the poker chips

21. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Keep Talking is such a great track. I hope a photo of Stephen Hawking is included in this new box, as a tribute to him.

BeatleJWOL and coffeetime like this.
  22. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Thoroughly enjoying hearing all of these Momentary/Delicate era versions of Welcome to the Machine. Appetite whetted for its ancipated appearance in TLY box.

I know the whole marbles & scarf thing has become something of a by-word for needlessly overstuffed SDE style box sets, or as an inadequate substitution for other worthier audio content. Given that the Immersion sets were hardly alone in this sort of thing (the GnR Appetite for Destruction SDE had temporary tattoo/decals included!), the Floyd sets have become the poster child, probably by virtue of being ‘first’. I do wonder what everyone made of the cut out/press out ‘goodies’ included with the Pepper LP gatefold back in 1967.

Personally speaking I’ve come to appreciate the ‘fiddle’ stuff in SDE style sets more and more. The scarves from the three Immersion sets have stayed in their wrappers, but the marbles are fiddled with along with repro ticket stubs, flyers & posters unfolded, cigarette cards checked out, repro handwritten interview questions glanced over when listening to TEY & Immersion sets. Guitar picks & postcards have made it into solo Floyd member box sets, so I think they generally approve of this sort of thing rounding out the core CD/DVD/BR & accompanying liner notes/photo books in their sets. I’ve spent so long with the Immersion & TEY sets over the past few years that I’d practically forgotten the Hipgnosis artwork book in the Discovery box I’d had. Cue a very pleasant half hour leafing through over a coffee last week.

While the core audio & video will decide whether a given SDE gets purchased or not, and on the basis of rumour, conjecture & leaks in this thread suggests that TLY years will be a no brainier purchase, I’m looking forward on seeing what ephemera and goodies they include alongside.

St. Troy and Billy_Sunday like this.
  23. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

It has to be said that well over 90% of what’s sold on their website (merchandise! not the music!) is terrible rubbish. I like getting the regular emails from the Pink Floyd Store just to see what cringe-inducing nonsense they’ve come up with lately.

24. Gary Harvey

Gary Harvey Well-Known Member

It's my birthday tomorrow and so I'm expecting the announcement please?

RangerXT and Gavaxeman like this.
  25. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

Some fans will buy everything that has Pink Floyd printed on it. I was like that for a short time but figured it was pointless and now I just collect the music and visual media and only rareties or new releases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.