Chris Rea

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by averica, Apr 9, 2019.

1. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

Yes! My favorite version:

AveryKG and curbach like this.
  2. Reeves Music

Reeves Music Well-Known Member

3. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

I wonder how Daughter 2, Julia, feels about Daughter 1's song being revisited so often while her one is ignored :)
    [Although there is a lovely version on the live album]

4. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Good grief! Another one. I'd never heard this one before. It's different to the version on the UK CD of New Light Through Old Windows.

5. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

Yes. If you want it in CD quality, you need to get the US Geffen edition of New Light Through Old Windows. I like this much better than the version on the UK CD. Dig that funky bassline in the chorus...very Chic-like.

AveryKG and Rockford & Roll like this.
  6. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

After years of seeing this guy's name and not hearing a note of his music, I recently got a used copy of "The Blue Cafe". After one listen, I was bored. After the second listen, I got it. There's a real warmth and depth to his style. I want to hear more.

4_everyman, Comet01, Carlox and 4 others like this.
  7. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

I've become fan after picking up " New Light Through Old Windows". I need to add a couple more to my collection.

F.U.B.B, Eric_Generic and rs4951 like this.
  8. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

I like the version with the classic guitar intro.
    Here's the short version (there's somewhere an other version with a longer intro. If you search on YT, i'm sure you'll find it) :

Comet01 and iloveguitars like this.
  9. julotto

julotto Forum Resident

...plus the "Symphonic Version" from 2018:

10. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

The track list for One fine day actaully excludes one track that had been listed by the Dutch site..Fascination is missing..

11. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Though the New Lights version of Josephine is good, I still prefer the original from Shamrock Diaries.
    My copy is on Magnet, made in West Germany (must have been a long time ago if there was still “West” Germany)

Dam and Eric_Generic like this.
  12. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Correct, that's the first CD version of the album, and it still has the original Josephine. It was replaced circa 1988 by a reissue on the EastWest label that has the wrong version. That one is still available up to this day.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  13. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Will the 2019 remaster/reissue restore the original version to the main album? I assume so.

EG.

14. George Cooke

George Cooke Well unknown member

New interview with Chris!

To celebrate the upcoming release of Chris Rea's 2CD Deluxe Edition sets, Chris speaks in-depth about each album and the stories behind them - kicking off with 'The Road To Hell'.
    The Road To Hell Interview

Comet01, Carlox, rs4951 and 2 others like this.
  15. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

As often happens when news breaks about a forthcoming release I have ended up on a CR binge for last few days...as much on some pre 1985 as those due for reissue.
    Currently asking " do you like Tennis" and waiting for the line about the disgraceful act of scratching where it itched..
    I remember taking a magnifying glass to the cover of the album and trying to see how far back the imagery made sense

Also listened to True to you properly for possibly the first time, passed me by before. Great track. Lost as a b side.

Eric_Generic and George Cooke like this.
  16. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

A second interview, this time about Shamrock Diaries. Great to see him so engaged and animated. Includes an interesting story about Josephine involving running from the police, a tranvestite bar, Chic, Stuff and Paul Oakenfield

17. George Cooke

Thanks for posting this.

Great to see Chris like you say, so animated. I thoroughly enjoy all his phases but looking back to this classic period, I realise how little I knew at the time about the music I was loving.

These tales of how songs came about are great. I'm just loving all this again...

Eric_Generic and rs4951 like this.
  18. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I heard "Fool (If You Think Its Over)" this morning on Zoomer Radio AM740 in Toronto ON.
    For some reason, I was drawn to the lyrics this time.
    Again, I was not disappointed.

rs4951 likes this.
  19. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

Another clip, titled Auberge but less about the album and more about the tour. Interesting.

Comet01, Rubberpigg and Sadcafe like this.
  20. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Water Sign next please.

Comet01, 2channelforever and rs4951 like this.
  21. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

Agreed..along with Wired to the moon and Chris Rea...but they didn't sell well in UK at all (moon did best reaching #35) so I would be (pleasantly) surprised to see them.
    I would like to see the unreleased Smile album too.

Jarleboy and Eric_Generic like this.
  22. nsm

nsm Forum Resident

I've just seen on Amazon UK that both Blue Street ( Five Guitars ) & Hofner Blue Notes are being re-released on CD 8th of November. Already have both from 2003 when they first came out & love them both.....how I wish they were gonna get a vinyl release, but doesn't seem like that's happening, they could sound fantastic.

George Cooke likes this.
  23. George Cooke

For some reason I've only just spotted this - on Chris' official YourTube channel:

Josephine (Symphonic Version)

24. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

New video interview about Dancing with Strangers including how he used multi tracking for first time.
    Just a pity these are so short...really interesting stories. Hope he does a biography soon.

25. serj

serj Forum Resident

Nobody got remasters yet?