Rolling Stones 2019 U.S. Summer Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

The crowd has nothing to do with it, it will be what Mick chooses, lol.

2141 and footlooseman like this.
  2. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Half your list has never been played live, so we are all in the same boat there! Looking at your list, I have caught the following:

Time Is On My Side - 1982 (2x)
    The Last Time - 1998 (2x)
    It’s All Over Now - 1995 (3x); 2013
    Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man - not played since `65, so I missed this one!
    Can’t You Hear Me Knocking - 2002 (5x), 2003 (4x)
    Hand of Fate - 2002 (3x); 2003 (2x)
    Crazy Mama - 1998 (2x)
    All Down the Line - 1998, 2002 (2x), 2003, 2005, 2013
    Soul Survivor - never played
    Time Waits for No One - never played
    Parachute Woman - 2002
    All Sold Out - never played
    Miss Amanda Jones - never played
    Flight 505 - never played
    Sitting On a Fence - never played
    Moonlight Mile - 1999 (2x)

For all the criticism of the Stones' setlists (including from me), one has to applaud them for the sheer number of deep tracks they did perform (some only once!) in the years 1989-2003. Of course, the setlists have gotten shorter in recent years and so the warhorses now represent a far greater percentage of the show than they did previously.

3. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

all 4 worthy

Matthew Tate and footlooseman like this.
  4. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Do you have an example of this? I think they usually do the deep cuts justice. They always seem fairly well-rehearsed.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Different people like different parts of the show. I went to the second New Jersey show and loved hearing You Got Me Rocking, Harlem Shuffle, Dead Flowers, Let it Bleed and Monkey Man. My sister’s 14 year old son came with us and I asked him how he liked the show, and his response? “I liked it, the second half more than the first.”

6. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Just my personal opinion I think She's A Rainbow from this tour is a good example. The Ontario and NJ performances were well rehearsed and well performed but lacked energy. I realize the song itself is not a "rocker" but both times it seemed to stop their momentum. It has always been high on my list to see live but after seeing the videos, there are many more songs (even if they are performed much more often) that are a better fit for the flow of the show.

7. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Wasn't it still well-received, though, given its recent commercial exposure?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I definitely agree it was well-received but as Hot Ptah said, though he may not have been referring to this specific song, it was probably the least memorable performance of the evening. It's not really a song that translates well in a stadium or arena setting (again just my opinion) and that is probably why it probably isn't played more often.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  9. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

But that's one of the things making this tour different and better (IMHO) -- the rarely played gems and one-offs are being put across solidly, and you've picked two of the best examples for 2019. Historically, that has not consistently been the case. Often, they've been wobbly and are notable only for being notable (I'm not saying that's a hard and fast RULE, just a rough guide. Sometimes they'll stick with it and improve.) and "Hot Ptah" has a point. IMHO, it just doesn't apply to the current tour so much.

I dunno. They have to do SOMETHING to break up the Hot Rocks Jukebox Experience. That's just the nature of putting on a concert and show, not the chatter of someone who has maybe gone to a few too many shows personally. What they're doing this year is a bigger challenge for them than the audience. Everybody wins, seems to me.

10. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I thought it was well done. Better than Chicago2 1997, where it won the fan vote. Others will have to comment on "well received". I'm sure it was not the takeaway of the evening for every last fan in the audience.

As for the current tour, I appreciate that they're breaking up the tempo and sonic assault with songs like "Rainbow", "Ride 'em on Down", "Mercy", etc. For me, they've been welcome for the change in the No Filter mood and overall coloring, not for the fact that they hardly ever get played. Who cares about what hasn't been played at a show one has never been to??

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I wish they would add a Chuck Berry cover for this tour.

12. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

For the 50th anniv. of Abbey Road, they should bring back Come Together! They need to think of the cross-promotion angle! :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

That is what I mean. The deep cuts seem to stop the momentum and to not have as much energy. This year I would put "Let's Spend the Night Together", "Sweet Virginia," and "You Got the Silver" into that category. With each song, I would initially think, "oh wow! they are actually performing this one!" But then the idea of hearing the song turned out to be somewhat better than the execution. In each case the energy level seemed to really drop.

I love the Exile recording of "Sweet Virginia," and did not ever expect to hear it performed live, but it was less of an earthshattering experience than I had expected. I realized as I heard them perform it live that Bobby Keys' tenor saxophone playing added a whole lot to the studio recording.

Keith was rather halting on "You Got The Silver," to the point where Ron Wood walked briskly over and took over the guitar parts, which seemed like a spontaneous decision. Again, when Keith started singing I thought "holy cow! It's 'You Got the Silver'!" But it definitely brought the energy level way down.

"Let's Spend the Night Together" is not exactly obscure, but it is one of those Brian Jones era songs that does not seem to translate to live performance all that well with the 2019 edition of the band. It was performed as the second song in Denver, right after the opening "Street Fighting Man," and it sucked the energy right out of the stadium.

In 2015, they performed "Doom and Gloom" early in the show and it threw the momentum off. They also performed "Kansas City", which Mick said they had not performed since 1962. They were performing in Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City so I guess they thought it would be a cool local reference. It just wasn't that great. The concert had opened strong with "Start Me Up," "It's Only Rock and Roll," and "Tumbling Dice." Then the energy and momentum went down with "Doom and Gloom," a guest appearance by Ed Sheeran on "Beast of Burden," and "Kansas City." The momentum and energy went way up again with the next song, "Bitch," and never went down again.

Quincy and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Agreed. I have no complaints about my own experience wrt rarities. "Route 66" may have been played every night in 1999, but what matters is what I got to hear, done competently and blowing my mind.

Others in that category for me over these years (trainspotters don't consider them RARE, but they're rare enough, and thankfully well rehearsed and played often enough to make them remembered for their performance and not the spreadsheet totals)...

Route 66
    Little Queenie
    Crazy Mama
    19th Nervous Breakdown (1997)
    Wanna Hold You
    It's All Over Now
    Mannish Boy
    Emotional Rescue
    No Expectations
    CYHMK
    Rip This Joint
    Can't Be Seen
    Thru and Thru
    Rain Fall Down

(Anyway, I'm sure I could double the list with 5 more minutes of digging in my brain, and I'm sure someone who saw exactly the same shows I did could come up with a different list...)

But yeah, as time and tours have gone on, they developed this thing where the tail end of the show (I say tail end, but it was really getting to be half the evening) was loaded up with the same old same old. People are allowed to find that boring and pointless (if economically necessary).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  15. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Ah, that sweet combination of rare AND horrible. DOUBLE RARE! OMG!

pablorkcz, NaturalD and Hot Ptah like this.
  16. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

I worked with her on that record. She was a sweetheart and had legs for days lol.

17. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Of Keith's ballads "You Got the Silver" goes over the best live, hands down.

18. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I thought it killed at the opener in Chicago (in the #2 slot, also), and one other rendition since then came really close (and another was FAIL, but I can't remember which), but that specific performance was definitely a factor in my wanting to bother to see this tour.

19. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

If I were there I'd vote All Down The Line for sure! But must admit I'd be curious about how Emotional Rescue would sound. Can Mick still do a credible job with that falsetto?

Matthew Tate and JoeRockhead like this.
  20. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

It was great seeing them play “Around & Around” in Newark a few years back.

21. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

Mick sang well in falsetto at the Denver concert. I can't remember which song it was.

Matthew Tate, JoeRockhead and 2141 like this.
  22. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

The falsetto line in "Mercy Mercy" was strong.

23. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

But short.

But if MJ couldn't handle "Emotional Rescue", it wouldn't be up for a vote. He knows how the song goes.

24. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yes, he can. It (ER) was a highlight for me in 2013, and he was hitting the falsetto on Mercy Mercy a few weeks ago.

25. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

I dunno, seems a bit overly critical based on personal taste and expectations. The three songs you sited were highlights of the Denver show for me.

We all know we're gonna get Brown Sugar/Start Me Up/ Satisfaction/etc. every night and surely that's the stuff that draws-in and pumps-up the majority of the crowd. But it's great that they still throw in a few hidden gems for seasoned fans, as well. They're not big stadium anthems, but I didn't notice a huge drop in energy from the crowd, outside of what might generally be expected during acoustic numbers or Keith's set. And even if that was the case, the setlist can't be all bangers all the time. There's gotta be some sense of ebb and flow to things. People need beer and bathroom breaks at some point, even the band.

As far as execution not meeting expectations, these are guys in their late 70s playing songs they recorded 47-53 years ago. They're gonna sound a bit different at this point. I would never expect 'Sweet Virginia' to sound the same in 2019 as it did in '72, but I think the ragged charm was consistent in both versions. That's what the b-stage is for, right? Take these stadium megastars in the sixth decade of their career and put them back in a small space, huddled around Charlie's kit, strumming their way through a couple back porch/basement jams like the old days. It creates a sense of intimacy which is incredibly hard to do when you're surrounded by a football stadium's worth of people.

That said, I also geeked-out singing along to the chorus of 'Honky Tonk Women', lost my sh!t when Mick hit the "Well, you heard about the Boston..." bit in 'Midnight Rambler', and "WOO!"-ed along to 'Brown Sugar' with the rest of the 75k+ in the crowd. So it's nice that they give us a mix.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.