Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

Is that your motto?

While this has its advantages that I do share in some form in general I do prefer the physical product, especially with regard to books. I don't have an e-book reader because no matter how good these things have become for me it isn't the same.

I started selling DVDs when the BluRay was on the horizon and I made good money with box sets but stopped when the prices hit rock bottom. I am glad that I kept most of my collection because I bought movies from all over the world and it is still nice going through the shelves and choose a movie once in a while.

unclefred and Pussycat like this.
  2. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Most of the time the rights to publish those discs are given for a short duration and then it goes back out of print until someone else pays for the rights again.

3. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Warner Archive Streaming went bye bye. So, if you didn't buy the DVDs or don't have off air recordings of all of their detective shows, tell me, where do watch them? Steaming is for the birds.

4. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I bought two DVDs recently Bitter Moon and Top Secret, using a Panny 820 and LG OLED DVDs look better than ever.

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Got a half dozen DVDs the other day 3:10 to Yuma (1957), Cat Ballou ..Lee Marvin got a Oscar.

Al Kuenster and Jazzmonkie like this.
  6. Dr_Robt

Dr_Robt Member

I still have hundreds of them. Probably the last DVDs I got were A Wizard, a True Star live and the Star Wars trilogy DVDs with the original editions as bonuses. 4K UHD rocks.

Carl80 likes this.
  7. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

The VUDU promotion going on at Walmart right now was the incentive for me to buy more DVD's. I bought six $5 DVD's & got the rest as
    digital copies. A great deal! I prefer buying physical copies of movies & use VUDU to store my digital copies. When I travel or if I want to
    watch something I don't have a physical copy of yet, I can watch them on VUDU.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PhantomStranger and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I have too many.

It's strange, because I never liked VHS as a format and had very few videos. But the DVD format was so much more user friendly and value for money with the extras, etc, that I found it easy to become a collector.

I mainly acquire them from charity shops nowadays, but will only buy things that REALLY interest me. The last DVD I bought was a Region 1 of Barton Fink. I didn't realise its as Region 1 until I tried to play it! Oh, well, that's 50p I'll never see again.....

LeBon Bush and Eric_Generic like this.
  9. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

If you have a standalone DVD player, as opposed to a BD player, you may be able to perform a simple remote control hack to make your player region-free.

This forum is a good starting point:

DVD Player and Blu-ray Player region codes - VideoHelp

10. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Thanks! :) I converted my DVD player to region-free a long time ago, but now I only have a blu-ray player.

stepeanut likes this.
  11. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Streaming/cloud services doesn't stop piracy. If your computer stores it in its cache, then you can copy it.

12. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I'll still buy a DVD if it's cheap enough and something a bit different. Found the Special Edition of Escape From New York at the weekend for £1, which means I can upgrade on the basic DVD edition (I didn't bother with the Blu-Ray release due to the mixed reviews it got for picture quality).

Upscaled DVD via my Blu-Ray player is fine for me. My TV was HD-ready 5 years ago but isn't cutting edge and nor do I mind that.

EG.

13. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

With Half-Priced Books right in my town, it's my first option. Their Clearance section offers numerous quality titles for $2-3. Even some complete seasons of TV series' for $3-5.

I strive to be as minimally Internet-dependent as possible regarding entertainment options.

PhantomStranger and Eric_Generic like this.
  14. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Coming To America / Fatal Attraction / The Set-Up / The Topper Collection. CTA & FA are part of the VUDU promotion "Buy DVD & get three
    digital movies". My free digital movies are He Said, She Said / Intersection / The Out Of Towners / The Evening Star / Sabrina / The Saint.
    [​IMG]

Planbee likes this.
  15. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I hope that you get to see the original 1970 version of The Out Of Towners, with Jack Lemon and Sandy Dennis.

[​IMG]

PhantomStranger likes this.
  16. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I plan to because I love old movies.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

The Set-Up is a great little movie...

18. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Nowadays, I will buy a DVD only if I can't get the title on blu-ray or (better yet) 4K.

Larry Sanders
    , that sort of thing.

Or, if it's like a special edition or something for pennies in a charity shop (think I paid 30p for Sucker Punch at a car-boot sale - still too much :D)

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i am not a DVD collector, but i have to say that i notice a plethora of used DVD and blu-rays in every store i ever go into that carries them, and they are always always always having a sale to get rid of them. just today 2 store:

1 - buy 2 get 1 for a dollar

2 - buy 3 get a 4th free.

i've always said that i can listen to an album 1000 times doing 1000 different things, but after a couple times how many times can you watch a movie and do nothing else but sit there and watch....or knit or play solitaire

20. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

You can most likely also do this with your blu-ray player's DVD mode. I did this on my Philips unit to watch Region 1 DVDs. You can't do it for blu-rays, of course, but the players should still be hackable for DVD playback.

Siegmund likes this.
  21. Vanguardsman

Vanguardsman Forum Resident

Been worried about DVD rot (CD rot is killing me). So I ripped all my DVDs to a rugged SSD drive using Handbrake. I plug the SSD into the back of my Oppo UDP-203. That thing upscales really nicely!

SSDs are pretty cheap so I use SyncToy to manage the backups.

When I go down to the southern command center in November I just throw the SSD into my hand luggage. Been thinking about copying the files up to Google Drive but I don't believe you can cast from Google Drive.

22. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Which Warner has just announced will receive a Blu-ray release next month.

Planbee likes this.
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

A good movie is like a good album, both deserve repeat plays.

Saying that, I sold 30 titles for $30.00 bucks the other day. Space saver incentive.

24. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

Yep, same basic idea here. Warner Archive is great for things like DVDs of Lon Chaney's films (which in most cases are nowhere on BR), but I don't trust the longevity either. Keep disc, put on our server (plus backup storage) and stream via the Oppo 203. Looks as good as a (well-mastered) DVD can on a 65-inch screen.

25. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Just got these earlier this week. 42nd Street / Bullitt / Cool Hand Luke / Lady Sings The Blues / Sabrina / Sling Blade / Standing In The
    Shadows Of Motown / We're No Angels. Other than SITSOM & LSTB, I don't think a Blu-Ray version would make any difference for enjoyment.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.