Rolling Stones 2019 U.S. Summer Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Ticket lotto then. Stadium shows are for the birds. No offense to birds reading this.

All Down The Line likes this.
  2. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

We all have different perceptions of the same show. My girlfriend hated the opening "Street Fighting Man" while I loved it. She was bored during "Midnight Rambler" while I was transfixed. One thing about the Rolling Stones even today at their advanced ages, their concerts make you react strongly. You care about what you are hearing. It is a strong experience. It is not just a muddled wash of mediocre sound wafting over you like some concerts I have been to by other artists this year.

3. WhoAreYou

WhoAreYou Soul Survivor

Or, for that matter, the Stones shows I saw in the ‘2000s. I completely agree with you, though. I had far more visceral reactions (mostly positive) when I saw them at MetLife last week than in 2002 and 2006. It seemed less...phoned in (even if, by objective standards of what and how they practiced, it wasn’t actually less so). “Midnight Rambler” took my breath away, because it felt like a BAND playing it, one where the musicians were in tune with each other, and not just figureheads there to collect a paycheck. And when it trainwrecked, like at the end of “Monkey Man,” whatever...I just laughed. The physical experience of hearing it didn’t translate to the same level of disappointment one might feel watching a YouTube clip of it. And besides, I’ll take a performance of ups and downs over a mediocre one any day.

Whereas 2002 and 2006 felt like I’d get a glimpse of the feeling of ‘69-73 Stones in the sonic shadows between notes, 2019 felt like I was hearing complete songs with that gusto. I chalk a lot of that up to Ronnie and Mick- they were at the top of their game. Charlie too (though, man, that guy looked gassed). Keef has sort-of rescinded into grandpa mode and makes the most blunders of anyone, but you could still hear the intricacies of how his mind works based on what his fingers were doing.

I was happy with it all.

4. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

I was hoping for a 'Jumpin' Jack Flash' opener myself. But once you're there and they're right in front of you, rock n' roll history in the flesh, all expectations melt away and you're just along for the ride. Even 'Like a Rolling Stone' winning the vote couldn't break that wave.

5. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

To add to your list (all of which I caught live), and ignoring songs rarely played (including one-offs) during their album-tours (so no MSG `98), here are some others that have thrilled me over the years (some became regular parts of the show at the time, others did not):

2000 LYFH
    Ain't Too Proud To Beg
    As Tears Go By
    Connection
    Dance
    Doo... (Heartbreaker)
    Factory Girl
    Heart Of Stone
    I Got The Blues
    If You Can't Rock Me
    Little Red Rooster
    Love Is Strong*
    Loving Cup
    Monkey Man
    Moonlight Mile
    Parachute Woman
    Shine A Light
    Sister Morphine
    Some Girls
    Stray Cat Blues
    That's How Strong My Love Is
    Torn And Frayed
    Undercover Of The Night
    Walk And Don't Look Back
    Worried About You

* - exception to my tour rule because, while it was played at all US VL tour shows, it was only played twice in Europe (where I was living at the time), so I consider it a rarity!

I'm ignoring stuff like Live With Me, Let It Bleed, Love In Vain, etc., which crop up from time to time.

6. Hot Ptah

Another impression of seeing the Rolling Stones in Denver. We stayed in downtown Denver, on 16th Street, which is a trendy area, with lots of young people, restaurants and bars and shops. We ate and drank at a microbrewery, Rock Bottom Brewery, on the night before the concert. The young man, probably in his late 20s, who greeted us at the door, asked us what we were in town for. He said, “I have heard the name Rolling Stones but I have never heard any of their music. I don't know the titles to any of their songs. I listen to today's music."

The Steve Hoffman Forum immediately came to my mind.

2141, Randy5554 and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

You make some excellent points HP. I am not surprised if some of the deeper cuts sapped some of the energy from the crowd as the majority of the fans, IMHO, at these Stones shows are there to hear the warhorse hits not some deeper cut they really don't know. Us hardcore fans love hearing the more deep cuts. and in my case the more deep and obscure the better, but average Joe and Jane want to hear what they know.

Mick is a smart business man and he wants to give the average fan, who makes up the majority of the crowd, what they want to hear so leave satisfied and keep coming back for more.

Matthew Tate and Hot Ptah like this.
  8. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Well. My son is 25 and lives in Denver and he and 10 of his friends went to the show and they all agreed it was the best show they have ever seen and were amazed at Jagger in particular, his energy at 75 blew them away. Now they are asking what albums to buy. It's a funny ol world.

9. Hot Ptah

That is a great post. I am so glad that they enjoyed it. I liked the mix of audience members in Denver. There were many young people there, together with senior citizens who were obviously deeply into the most intense music.

btltez likes this.
  10. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

As my dad (only half joking) told me in 1994 when I was ranting nonstop about the Voodoo Lounge tour, "Get your own music."

11. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Stop attacking Baltimore 2006!!!!!

12. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Wow. Denver must have been one hot show.

FrixFrixFrix and Hot Ptah like this.
  13. WhoAreYou

WhoAreYou Soul Survivor

Meanwhile, my 34 year old self, 32 year old girlfriend, and her 33 year old brother knew every single word to every single song they played, while many of the older baby boomers around us seemed confused when they played “Dead Flowers”.

14. Hot Ptah

I love that. Directly in front of me was a man of about 85 who sang every word to Dead Flowers as it was performed. As I could have, but I don’t like to actually sing along.

budwhite, Matthew Tate and btltez like this.
  15. Hot Ptah

It was hot.

TonyCzar likes this.
  16. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

Public service announcement: gates open at 5:30pm on Sunday at Levi's. I had a difficult time finding this info online, and finally had to email the venue. Seems the gates typically have been opening at 6, per the usual message boards, but the all shows at this particular stadium need to end by 10. Because, you know, Santa Clara is such a quaint little town. I'd hate for the late-night customers at Pedro's be disturbed as they walk back to their cars.

2141, pablorkcz and GoodKitty like this.
  17. WhoAreYou

WhoAreYou Soul Survivor

That’s the beauty of the Stones!

18. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

Dude, surely you witnessed "All About You"? And weren't you present for their sole performance of "Don't Look Back"?

Meanwhile I was treated to the only concert performance of "Parachute Woman" outside the RNR Circus.

19. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Or play more stuff from the blues album. Europe got a pretty good run. I believe only Chicago #2 got something off the record.

Matthew Tate, Hot Ptah and John Fell like this.
  20. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

If my wife had that reaction she'd be sleeping on the couch.

21. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

They play the blues stuff better than the warhorses.

Hot Ptah, John Fell and The MEZ like this.
  22. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Yes! I forget which tour that was a regular Keith song on, but significance (to me) is that it did result in my taking a long-delayed revisit to That Track on Emotional Rescue which I always skipped as a foolish youth. I feel very differently about it today due to it being dragged out for regular airing (although I always loved that album overall, mostly).

So, it took 14 years? 17 years?

No. My only 2 theater shows on Licks were Roseland and the Tower, which no longer has a tower, because rust never sleeps:

[​IMG]

I raise you one "She Smiled Sweetly".

23. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

B2B.

I thought "Don't Look Back" was Tower -- so you got what, "Fool To Cry"? Bono?

I raise you "Mercy Mercy", and "Hot Stuff"!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Brian999

Brian999 SLY

Dont look back was at the Aragon in Chicago, I was at that gig.

Matthew Tate, vcpj and TonyCzar like this.
  25. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

No Bono. No FtC.

But "Heart of Stone", "Hand of Fate" and "No Expectations". I wasn't crazy about the Tower show in the immediate aftermath - ending an evening with "Tumbling Dice" is never a good idea; and it had to compete with the FUC and the VET, which were life-changing, and set the bar very high - but the boot has aged well.

TOPS!!!!

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.