Most confusing/convoluted plots of all time

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rocker, Aug 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I was mostly lost with the book, the movie and the recent tv series!

2. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

Beat the Devil

R. Totale and Regginold31 like this.
  3. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

Once Upon A Time In America

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  4. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Recently watched an early '60's B&W movie I bought several days ago on DVD that was really hard to follow but I ended up liking it because it had such a unique way of unfolding the story in a spirited way with a surprise ending that I felt was one of the best homage to the craft of film making, the art of stage make up and what defines a star quality actor.

It's "The List Of Andrian Messenger". It has a long list of '60's A-list actors and celebrities according to the opening credits you won't be able to spot in the movie.

I'm having to read the wiki just to understand the investigation into this list and all the murders. Fascinating movie by director John Huston.

Darn good soundtrack, too...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  5. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I just don’t understand that weird accent :)

6. california_roll

california_roll Memento Mori

I remember folks being very confused with The Matrix when it first came out...
    I'm intimately familiar with the series and can confirm this.

Same with Assassin's Creed.

7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Matrix 2 and 3. Afwul mess

8. It's like watching a two-hour perfume ad while listening to someone talking to themself.

wayneklein and Ginger Ale like this.
  9. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

Thanks for saving me the trouble! :wave:

John B Good likes this.
  10. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Back to the Future 2

Parts of the later seasons of Fringe got a bit out there. I still forget how the big machine etc. that bridged the universes came about. I loved the show but must have got confused of fell asleep for just 10 minutes.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Is that one that falls in the "convoluted" category alone, or "confusing" as well?

It's definitely convoluted, but I don't think it's all that confusing.

Though I may have felt differently 30 years ago - I've seen it so many times that any confusion would've long dissipated...

daglesj and supermd like this.
  12. Complier

Complier Senior Member

Star Wars prequels

13. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Being simple, I think it would take me more viewings than that. Perhaps many more. :)

14. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I liked this movie. However, I LOVED this response when seeing it in the theater. When the top at the end keeps spinning, someone shouted, "Awww, come on!"

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Inherent Vice

16. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Until that guy directed SOUTHLAND TALES. I mean, have you seen SOUTHLAND TALES?! :D

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Mad magazine's version was appropriately called "The Mess of Adrian Listinger."

Vidiot and Ginger Ale like this.
  18. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I honestly love when an ambiguous ending actively upsets an audience. John Sales' Limbo is another example.

vegafleet and Pinknik like this.
  19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

The first game in the series is pretty straightforward, but after that, they lose me, which is a shame, because the games are so fun to play. I am increasingly less inclined to play the games when I don't know what's going on in the story.

A video game series I'll mention is Kingdom Hearts. Again, the first game in the series is very easy to understand (stop the darkness), but when they add in nobodies, vessels, three 'versions' of many characters, fifty characters with very similar names all starting with the letter "X"... just stop. I tend to focus on the Disney stories, as that part is the more enjoyable aspect (and the only reason I play).

Just saw this. Yeah, very difficult to follow, which is a big detriment to an otherwise fun-to-play game series. Play it for the Disney worlds and fun gameplay, not for the overarching story.

20. Subtitles!

My wife and I have worked our way through a BUNCH of them, but only after deciding that we had to watch with the subtitles on (and frequently look things up on an "English Slang" website). :D

Currently on Season 4 of Ripper Street and will soon be looking for something new to Binge.

razerx likes this.
  21. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

I had to watch it about 5 times to really get the intricacies of the whole thing. Great acting, good story line; it can be hard to follow (especially for a Yankee) as the accents make it hard to understand, as well as the fact that everyone has a secret code name.

Dinstun and Greg Gee like this.
  22. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The one with the pedophile financier who was found dead in his prison cell, who was buddies with both the current and a former POTUS.

23. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My brother and I got suckered into being test viewers of that tripe when we were in Las Vegas. I thought it was gibberish and that this pilot would never get made into a series.

24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Even though I enjoyed it every single time I watched it, I didn't get every single bit of the complex plot of L.A. Confidential until my most recent viewing - the Nighthawk Diner, all of the dirty cops, why the young Black men were being set up, the crooked DA...

25. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Yeah that takes at least a second viewing to get all the characters and motivations straight. Almost an overabundance of great acting though. Ditto The Usual Suspects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.