Settings for dynavector 10x5 and mofi ultraphono

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pmccaffrey, Aug 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pmccaffrey

pmccaffrey Forum Resident Thread Starter

Title says it all. Just got my modi and wanted to verify the optimal settings for the switches. Thanks.

2. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Most likely, you'd need to choose the 60db setting.

3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

The Schiit Modi? It doesn't have an analog input. It's a DAC not an amp.

bluemooze likes this.
  4. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Not that many selections, but with a 2.5 to 3mV cartridge you'd probably be good at 46dB and 10K load, but could try it at 47K too. Usually can't go too low on the loading with high output MC carts, though you could try down in the 1K range but I'd expect it to sound better at 10K. I'd be inclined to start at 40dB gain if your system has enough gain otherwise, that would give you a higher overload margin for hot records. It's your system, so experiment and set it where you think it sounds best, but I'd start at lower gain and work up, don't make quick decisions, try to compare at same volume, live with each setting for awhile.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  5. pmccaffrey

pmccaffrey Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks guys and sorry for the lack of specificity. I just got the mobile fidelity ultraphono and wanted to be sure I set the 12 switches on the back correctly. Thanks.

6. Combination

Just to put your mind at ease, I was definitely talking about the Mobile Fidelity. :) I only took a quick look at it, and just saw the different gain adjustments. Having been with Dynavector in some form another for a real long time, I don't think you'd want to ever go lower than -54db, but in this case, your closest choice is -60db, so...

7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

No. It's a HOMC so around 35-40db should be all he'd need.

8. Combination

Well, just going off my own experience with years of listening on that cartridge, I never went that low with things. YMMV.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  9. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Remember, this isn't a mathematical exercise - it's whatever sounds best to you and is very system dependent. I have no idea what the gain is on your amp or preamp or what you're running at all other than the phono stage or and cart. So here is what you do: 1) first set the gain setting on the Mofi so that you produce a comfortable volume level between 10 and 2 o'clock on your volume dial. You don't want volume blaring at 9 o'clock but you also don't want to have to turn it up to 3 o'clock just to be able to hear music. 2) Next adjust the loading so that it sounds good to you! I see DV recommends a loading at >1K so I'd probably start there and incrementally go up and see how it sounds to you. You can't screw anything up by putting in a bad sounding loading. All these recommendations above on specific settings are guesses - only you can decide what sounds loud enough, zippy enough, enough bass extension, etc. With DV carts I tend like a load setting just slightly higher the manufacturer minimum recommended but that's in my system and to my ears. Enjoy the new gear!

10. KounterFitz

KounterFitz Member

Hi pmccaffrey

I have the Dynavector 10x5 mk 2 & have just purchased the MOFI ultra phono stage...What settings have you for the 12 switches please.
    Regards
    Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.