Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. David B.

David B. Forum Resident

Please do report back -- highly interested. Thanks.
    --David B.

2. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's great. AN is sometimes difficult to make comparisons because they just male so many products that dealers have to make selections.

Don Parkhurst and Andy Saunders like this.
  3. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Phoned around my two nearest AN dealers and they were only stocking Transport/DAC combos... but got their in the end with a dealer who stocked both and not too long a drive.:D

4. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

I got to check something off of my bucket list today—I spent the day at @Warren Jarrett 's Audio Home, listening to three exquisite systems (2 of them Audio Note).

Today, Warren had our host's old AN-E SPx HE speakers set up with a pair of Audio Note Ginrei amps. I don’t think I’ve ever heard such an eloquent sounding system. The way these world class speakers and amps presented the music reminded me of watching a film shot by an expert cinematographer: well composed, balanced, with each element in the frame playing its part in service of the whole.

Then we changed rooms and listened to some records and tape reels using Empress Silvers hooked up to the M6 Phono and AN-E LX HEs. This room showcased Warren's expertise in pairing components together because of how much this system shone, even in comparison to the much more expensive setup down the hall. I especially loved the way the gear rendered instrument tonalities. And his Otari reel to reel is a gem.

To anyone in this thread who hasn't yet visited Warren--I highly recommend it!

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You had fun there. Good, it's a great place to relax and listen to music without a sales person breathing down your neck. Audio Note speakers and electronics are good for extended listening. No ear fatigue, just balanced tone; for hours on end. In fact, the more the system is on, the better it sounds (which of course can be said for just about any electronics..)

6. Chivas7

Chivas7 Well-Known Member

Absolutely, I’d be interested in your findings Andy

Andy Saunders likes this.
  7. Andy Saunders

Will do - just waiting for a couple of days off and then see what is what.:D

8. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

the zero is actually really quite good, shockingly so for the money. I use that and the 4.1x single box. both fun to listen to!

Richard Austen and Andy Saunders like this.
  9. Andy Saunders

Things are moving on.... been invited to a factory tour when l demo the CD players in Brighton- how cool is that....." and can listen to anything l want."

This could get a tad spendy………:hide::D

10. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Forum Resident

Congratulations, lucky you! And yes, this could become expensive...

11. Rob Hume

Rob Hume Forum Resident

If you get an invite to hear PQ’s system down in Hove you’ll be ruined Andy! :)

12. slcaudiophile

AN is awesome for sure!

Kimiimacman and Don Parkhurst like this.
  13. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

Just out of curiosity, if I'm looking to spend $10-12K on my next pair of speakers, about where would that put me on the AN scale?

14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

If buying new, I believe that lands you the AN-E SPE HE these days, which is a good place to be.

IGD Positive likes this.
  15. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I know I've asked this before, but I'm getting close to buying a DAC. Would you say the jump in sound quality is greater from the 1.1x Signature to the 2.1x or from the 2.1x to the 2.1x Signature? I'm torn about spending so much on my digital source, since I primarily listen to vinyl and don't really buy CDs anymore. So this is more for my static collection of current CDs and maybe some that I burn once every while. I also have a small interest in eventually putting everything on a hard drive and running music from my PC, but that is way down the line.

As long as I can improve upon my already great sounding Line Magnetic 515, I'll be happy.

16. IGD Positive

Noted. I'll definitely be looking for used as well once I get to that point but this is great to know. Thank you!

17. slcaudiophile

you have a couple different options actually (all based on retail pricing).

E series:

AN-E-SPE HE and you could even do the high gloss finish and include the stands at your high point. Level 3. LOTS of people have these.
    AN-E LX HE, which is a Level 2 speaker and priced just below your low point.

K series (sealed version):

AN-K SPX SE. Level 4. The top K model (High gloss is standard).

J series:

for a few thousand less then your low point there is the AN-J SPe HEMP. Level 3. But for a few thousand more then your high point they have the stunning AN-J SPE SE Hemp, which is a Level 4. With the Meishu or similar this will blow your mind!!

It really comes down to your room (basically the size), the amp you will be using, the music you tend to listen to. from there you can hone in the model.

Tlay, Encore and IGD Positive like this.
  18. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

For whatever reason, the SPE HE seems to be the most common model I see used. The guy I bought mine from was upgrading to a higher model, maybe that's common. There is a pair located in NYC on Audiogon at the moment for a great price.

IGD Positive and Fred Hansen like this.
  19. IGD Positive

Excellent. Thank you for the details. Reading all of this makes me really happy to know that I'll have a place to demo a few different models so I can see which ones I like best.

slcaudiophile likes this.
  20. IGD Positive

And those are absolutely gorgeous too. Wow.

21. slcaudiophile

yeah ... Rosewood is a beautiful finish ... in high gloss it is stunning!!

22. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

I just sold my AN-E SPX Al Nico's in that range. Be patient and Im sure more will come down the road. Audio Note is a VERY small Niche market so it keeps the "used" prices low. The higher value A/N ones don't hold their value regardless of what some fan boys on this page say. The Audio Note Dealer who I purchased my Jinro from sold his AN-E SPX Al Nico's With the External X-Overs for 11-12K about 2 years ago on Audiogon.

23. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Definitely worth waiting for a pair of Alnicos. They are fantastic music makers.

slcaudiophile likes this.
  24. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

When it comes to retaining resale value a few things are required:

1) time

2) the product not being discontinued

3) the price to rise over time.

4) the owner to keep the speakers long enough.

So if you buy speaker XYZ and pay $2500 for it and wait then over time you will get what you paid. Why?

Speaker XYZ has gone through several price increases over say 12 years. It is now $5500. You put your speaker up for sale for $3500 you get $2900.

This is what happened to my 13 year old AN J /SPE. No fanboy about it. It's a fact and a fact that certainly aids in me being a fan.

If you buy a $5500 AN J/Spe today and sell it in 6 nonths then yes you will lose and lose big just like doing that with ANY speaker. Time is the critical factor.

This will work with almost any luxury speaker. But most companies discontinue their products. Once that happens the product's resale is killed.

slcaudiophile and Kimiimacman like this.
  25. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

Unless. Unless the product: 1) has developed a cult following while still in production: or, 2) Becomes a legendary piece of gear within a relatively short time from production ending.