Poll - Do you like drum solos?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cgw, Aug 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Drum solos in and of themselves can be good, pertinent music, when that happens it is a plus.
    But I chose yes in the survey because I like the role they play during a well-paced rock concert.

First it gives the ears a few minutes to reset themselves, the mid-range roar of electric guitars can be (and often is taxing.) So long as it is not a cymbal crash fest, I view solos as a break from sonic assault.

Next, it makes whatever follows it, very exciting. This is a gimmick for sure, but when the band comes back and hits a loud chord - well that's almost as exciting as the first song of the night.

Singer gets a break. Lighting and production crew get a few moments to prepare for the big effect of the band returning.

Finally, this is a topic for another thread, but most of us ask for nothing but songs from our artists. It is refreshing to hear something in a different structure. A well composed instrumental can be a rondo, or better yet in sonata form and other forms too. For me, at least, it is a treat to get past song form every once in a while.

2. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

Bill Bruford.

And the current lineup of King Crimson - their live solos are totally lacking in the typical drum solo cliches.

drobo likes this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Generally, no, I do not like drum solos, especially in rock music. They're just a excuse for the rest of the band to leave the stage and snort coke. Exceptions are Neil Peart and Ian Paice, who are just so good that I enjoy it. If I were a drummer I'd just keep it to an extended break of a minute or two at some point, just to shake things up.

4. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Gavin Harrison, sure.

Lars Ulrich, no thanks.

trickness likes this.
  5. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

I like this, its a very interesting piece of music. However, I think it's a stretch to call any part of it a drum solo when there are so many other instruments involved. At no time does the drummer just wail away by himself, at least in the parts you have highlighted. The piece is certainly percussion driven though.

6. Jocko

Jocko Forum Resident

I’m glad you went there. Im a long time drummer too, and I don’t like drum solos! I have another drummer friend
    that can’t get enough of them? I like melodies and grooves. No doubt, the rhythm section is super important. No
    argument there, just keep that bass thumpin’.

7. No. I'm the guy that edits-out 90% of the drum solo in Cream's Toad for my own sanity and enjoyment.

Bless you Keith Moon for never subjecting me to a drum solo.

8. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I don't think it's that bad, he's trying to keep the melody going which is very difficult.

9. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

I never did until I saw Carl Palmer’s drum solo a few weeks ago at the Royal Affair Tour.

10. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I once read Moby Dick....TWICE...during that solo!

PJayBe, Jocko, YardByrd and 1 other person like this.
  11. Never.

12. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I love the full half an hour John Bonham solos from New York`73!I wished Page put out the official multitracks.
    Jim Gordon on the live Derek And the Dominos.
    There are plenty of cool jazz solos.

13. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

If it's Danny Seraphine, Joe Morello, Hal Blaine, David Garibaldi, and the like.

jwjeffrey likes this.
  14. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

The first 2 minutes are the drumsolo, in this version by ensemble musikfabrik its performed by the drummer and several other percussion instruments. The original version on the album "Zappa in New York" the drumsolo is played solo by terry Bozzio.

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I usually say no, but I've played Cream - Fresh Cream and Sweet - Desolation Boulevard in the last day.

16. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It's an opportunity to display the chops. Yeah, the obvious names are Bruford, Palmer, Collins, Peart, Harrison etc. Prairie Prince has a solid reputation, but you wouldn't know how good he is until witnessing him in a drum solo.

17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

A washboard maybe?

18. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I remember my first Jean Luc Ponty concert, years ago

The drummer from that line up was Damien Schmitt. It was simply the most incredible drum solo I've ever heard. It was jaw dropping and inspiring. The level of musicialship and musical sense at the same time was just insane. He received standing ovation at the end.

For the ones who've missed it, Jean Luc Ponty is playing his 2019 gigs back with Damien on drums!

Jocko and Mook like this.
  19. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

Whatever it was, it was custom made and had some electronic component to it. I was on the floor, but in the last 10 rows of seating so didn't get a close look at it. The top of it was curved to hang over his shoulders and had an opening for the neck. It looked ribbed, horizontally, all down the front and split down the middle, so there was a left/right component to it. Mick would beat on it with his hands like someone would play on a beat box. It kind of had a washboard look to it but formed somewhat to the body like a breast plate, and it had a tonal quality to it such that as he moved his hands from top to bottom, the tone of it got deeper.

carlwm likes this.
  20. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Sounds extraordinary, whatever it was!

21. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

And I forgot to mention that it had a metallic look to it. It had to have been somewhat heavy and/or delicate because his drum tech helped him into it while he maintained the solo with his feet all while still behind his kit.

carlwm likes this.
  22. Jocko

Jocko Forum Resident

I saw Luc Ponty live in the later 70’s. Absolutely incredible. I’m not sure of the drummer that night, but each band member was way advanced. (I’m thinking it was Steve Smith?). Also, Alan Holdsworth on guitar! Unforgettable these many decades later.

ponkine and Mook like this.
  23. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Holy ****.

George P likes this.
  24. Jocko

Jocko Forum Resident

I remember a particularly long outrageously burny Enigmatic Ocean at that 70’s show.

25. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Umbari likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.