1000 Concerts! Whereby Oatsdad Praises Himself

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oatsdad, Aug 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

Saw Aerosmith on Tuesday, and that officially qualified as my 1000th concert.

I don't know if I should be proud of this milestone or ashamed that I spent so much time and money on concerts over the last 42 years! :D

To make this not a wholly self-serving thread, I'm curious to know lifetime totals of other folks here.

Who else is with me in the 1K club???

SITKOL'76, Ted Bell, ponkine and 47 others like this.
  2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

3. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Good god, man! I'm probably under a hundred.

....... you gonna post your list?

4. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

I never kept a count but probably somewhere around 125.

footlooseman likes this.
  5. Wow! That is a concert every 2 weeks. Superb. I doubt i ever have been to more that 50 concerts in the last 42 yrs.

6. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

So you've seen Springsteen about 995 times. And Aerosmith. What are the other 4?

:D

7. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Don't have exact records. The ones between about 1980 and 1999 are not really recorded. Probably near or over 1000 though.

BeatlesBop, Fullbug and Oatsdad like this.
  8. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Pics of every ticket stub or it didn't happen:)

9. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

About 300 concerts by national/international acts since 1974. (My finances have allowed only 2 or 3 per year in recent years.) Probably close to 1,000 shows if I include local bands.

Bob Dylan
    51 times since 1974 (last 11/11/17)

Bruce Springsteen
    25 times since 1977 (last 9/9/16)

David Johansen/Buster Poindexter/New York Dolls
    15+ times since 1978 (last 1/17/13)

Richard Thompson
    14 times since 1983 (last 7/1/05)

“X” band/Doe solo/Cervenka solo/Knitters
    15 times since 1983 (last 8/28/14)

...and about 180 more. :tiphat:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  10. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Once upon a time I kept a list, and was closing on 300 performances. That counted opening acts and main acts separately. My pace slackened later due to work, travel, kid, mortgage and so forth, but I'd guess I'm around 500? Which is maybe 300 concerts or so. The bands I've seen most would be Iron Maiden, Rush, The Grateful Dead not necessarily in order. I never saw the Dead after Jerry Garcia died, though I hear the John Mayer shows are very good so I might have to check that out...at least download a taped show or such.

Tops on my "how have I managed to never see them over all these years" list are The Doobie Brothers and The Eagles (which we WOULD have seen if my wife's m@r@n coworker hadn't filled her head with "the main guy is dead" so she didn't want to go:realmad:, I was HUGELY wanting to see them with Vince Gill-actually more than with Glenn Frey!-our friend went and later told her how fantastic it was. :().

Tops now on my "Wow, how do they put out so much energy after so many years?!?" list is REO Speedwagon who gave a fantastic hometown show in Chicago a couple of weeks ago. I was truly astounded. Rush and Maiden are on that list, but are younger...well, not by much in Rush's case, though it's now a few years since their last show.

footlooseman likes this.
  11. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Local bands definitely count - in fact, I think that counts MORE.

12. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Hmm, is that a record for this forum? I went to a Los Lonely Boys show where they announced a lady there had seen them 62 times. Are his tours the same setlist every night? Because that's one reason I don't go see Rush and Maiden (and Priest and others) more than once on each tour. While I realize different nights with the same songs can come out differently, it's just a matter of time and money and so on.

joy stinson likes this.
  13. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Very impressive - good for you, @Oatsdad, for supporting live music. I have no idea how many concerts I've attended - I've often forgotten shows that someone who went with me reminded me about!

14. How do you know? Do you have 1000 ticket- stubs? Have you been keeping a journal for 50 years? Break it down for those curious.

joy stinson and GoodKitty like this.
  15. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

I would have to assume that it's not even close to a record for this forum! :tiphat:

Sluggy, arthurprecarious and philly67 like this.
  16. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I'm definitely missing a couple dozen or more shows from the 90s that I don't have dates/stubs for in my listings, but according my data I log in at Setlist.fm I've seen 433 concerts of 232 different artists. So probably getting close to 500 for me. Kudos to 1000!

Fullbug, LivingForever and Oatsdad like this.
  17. Oatsdad

Of all 1000? No, but I'll put up some significant stats! :)

18. Agerst1574

Agerst1574 Forum Resident

I am at over 1000 shows as well. First show was on 12/10/76 (Foghat, Rush, and Mother’s Finest). At 60 (and retired), I still average 3-4 shows a month.

Next show is John Fogerty at Radio City tonight.

19. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Congrats! I've hit at least 1,000 concerts and we'll over 3,000 performances (I always go early to see all opening bands). That's an extremely conservative/low estimate.

From 1991-1999 (inclusive), I'd go out 2-3 times a week, sometimes hitting up to 3 places in a night. Since the year 2000, I've slowed down to about one concert a month. But on special weekends, like this last one at Tiki Oasis, I've seen probably 15 bands. (Fleshtones were a blast).

20. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

I can’t say I don’t envy you, but I congratulate on such a huge milestone.

joy stinson, footlooseman and Oatsdad like this.
  21. Oatsdad

You have a much broader array of artists than I do! I could count the number of headliners I've seen - might not pass 200, though!

BeardedSteven likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

Some stats across 42 years and 1000 concerts:

First concert: Kiss with AC/DC opening - 12/77
    100th concert: Prince, 10/88
    500th concert: Pixies, June 2005

Top 5 artists:

Springsteen: 130 shows
    U2: 90 shows
    Bowie: 73 shows
    Madonna: 65 shows
    Rolling Stones: 57 shows

My top 5 accounts for 41.5% of all shows.

My top 10 accounts for 59.4% of all shows.

6: Pearl Jam: 49 shows
    7: McCartney: 42 shows
    8: Gaga: 37 shows
    9: Elvis Costello: 26 shows
    10: Spice Girls: 25 shows

SITKOL'76, RubenH, Zeki and 22 others like this.
  23. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Phrased like that, it seems perfectly rational . . . People eat out at restaurants and drink in bars way more than that.

24. Oatsdad

I kept my ticket stubs for years, and sometime in the mid-90s, I put them into a Word file. I've just regularly updated that since then.

As such, the list is likely not perfect, and in truth, Concert 1000 was probably Concert 1001 or 1002 or 1003 - maybe even Concert 1005!

My list's very close to correct, and it may well be totally correct, but I'll never know for sure. There are bound to be a few shows in the 80s/90s where I lost the stub and simply forgot I went!

Zeki, Fullbug and DangerousKitchen like this.
  25. Oatsdad

My new goal is to get to an average of 20 shows per year of life.

If I get to 1040 by next May 9, I'll be there, as that'll be 20 shows X 52 years.

Unlikely I'll hit 40 between now and 5/9/20 - but possible. I think I have 18 shows planned for the rest of 2019, so I'd need another 20 in the first few months of 2020...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.