Biggest Band Drop-off After One Quits/Fired

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Aug 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

The Platters-after Tony Williams left it was six years between hits for the group.

2. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Losing James Dewar was a big blow to Robin Trower.

3. mfidelity

mfidelity Senior Member

10,000 Maniacs - Natalie Merchant
    Talking Heads - David Byrne

Vic_1957 and Plexiclone like this.
  4. sddoug

sddoug Music Aficionado

Gin Blossoms - Doug Hopkins

5. grouploner

grouploner Forum Resident

Um... OK, I suppose it's technically correct.
    Actually, he's correct, they're not touring as "Queen", they're touring as...

QUEEN + Adam Lambert

6. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

By the ageless and universal standards of good taste, artistry, originality and Rock-n-Roll, baby!

unclefred likes this.
  7. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Uriah Heep when David Byron left, although they were slowly declining after Sweet Freedom IHMO

Kingsley Fats, Greg Gee and sddoug like this.
  8. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Depeche Mode - Alan Wilder. Occasional gems abound but they never made a really strong end-to-end album again.

9. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

God no. Those two DIO albums were far far better than the last two Ozzy albums. (And, to be fair, so were Ozzy's first two solo albums).

10. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

:laugh: Glad you see it my way. ;)

Honestly, I do think it's a bit too close for comfort for me at this point, as with Lambert it's become more of a Queen tribute show.

I've said this a number of times in other threads, but I feel like Paul Rodgers, being a contemporary of theirs with a catalog of huge classic rock hits himself -- at least four of which were performed nightly when they toured with him -- brought a lot more legitimacy to this being a joint venture. Bringing Lambert in kind of turned it into something that the Paul Rodgers tours weren't.

I still don't think they're trying to pass it off as a true continuation of Queen -- that plus sign is important enough so that history's not going to show that Paul Rodgers or Adam Lambert were ever "members of Queen".

Cosmic_Equilibrium likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's really only half a tomato anyway! :D

12. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

They should be called Queen + Adam Lambert -(Freddie Mercury + John Deacon) =

Polyphenol likes this.
  13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Wasn't she MIA due to pregnancy from one album?

14. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Well, "HALF OF QUEEN + Adam Lambert" would look silly on the marquee. :shrug::laugh:

I can't help but give those guys a pass in referring to themselves as the "Queen" part of the equation. With one guy dead and the other completely uninterested, they're the only ones left.

15. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The band had actually gone on hiatus before Octave, with the Blue Jays album coming out in the interim. It was supposed to be a bit of a reunion, but it didn't work out, at least as far as Pinder was concerned.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Vic_1957 likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

I like it! :D

Oh, I don't care, honestly. I don't think they are "real Queen" without Freddie, but if people wanna buy tickets, that's their choice.

Same thing as Eagles sans Frey. The band died in early 2016, IMO, and I won't pay to see them, but if others choose to do so, that's their option.

I just think it's weaselly that the "Queen +" thing tries to imply their "not touring as Queen".

This may all be semantics, but if they really wanted to call themselves "not Queen", they could've chosen a different name.

They want to have their tomahto and eat it too, so they went with the sneaky "Queen +" thing...

17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Curt Smith leaving Tears For Fears. If your band is a duo and one member leaves, should you really go on using the name? I guess it worked for Marc Bolan.

18. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I can't really tell whether Ian is claiming he's Tull or just playing Tull music, and the loss of his voice is certainly a major contributor to their musical diminishment, but replacing Martin with a coverband guitarist in 70's Martin costume is a bigger blow, because it was self inflicted.

19. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'm a fan but not an expert: did he contribute to PLEASED TO MEET ME? That is, did anything end up on the actual record as released?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  20. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

Velvet Underground after Lou Reed quit in 1970 was horrendous

ti-triodes, Jimmy B. and rockerreds like this.
  21. Oatsdad

Steely Dan is still out there with just one original member!

Vic_1957 likes this.
  22. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

I agree that Waters leaving Pink Floyd was huge, but the real trouble started after Waters fired Wright and demoted him to employee status. After that, a split between Gilmour and Waters was innevitable. One led to the other.

Vic_1957 likes this.
  23. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

This would get my vote but for the fact that Jim didn't quit or get fired. Death of band members ended some awesome bands (Queen, Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Joy Division, the Minutemen, etc)

Off the top of my head I'm mostly thinking of metal bands, who IMO went down a notch when singers left: Black Sabbath (Ozzy), Rainbow (Dio), Van Halen (Roth).

Pink Floyd without Waters was a pretty big step down in greatness.

24. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

"Yes" is still out there with no original members!

25. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Yes, thanks, I know, I remember the looooooong wait between SS and Octave. We did get "Live +5" which was underwhelming, there was one decent studio track I can't recall the name of.

seed_drill likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.