Biggest Band Drop-off After One Quits/Fired

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Aug 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I still blame Yoko for the breakup of the Yoko Ono Band!

peskypesky likes this.
  2. zen

zen Senior Member

Roger Fisher was voted out of HEART by the other members...and history shows there was a drop-off.

3. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Reni - Stone Roses..

4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I didn't buy the second one, but the first seemed to me like a continuation of the slide which I agree with you started with "Hell's Ditch". Not that the Popes record was all that much better.

carlwm likes this.
  5. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Respectfully, I disagree here.

They were a wonderful band when he was part of it but the fab four era ratcheted the quality up a notch or two, to my ears anyway.

The band missed Timothy B. Schmit and George Grantham when they left, I reckon, but still continued to make worthwhile records up to and including the most recent studio album, All Fired Up.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    AppleCorp3 likes this.
  6. mace

mace Forum Resident

I think they were a better band after Clem came on board.

Same when DLR left Van Halen, they went from game show rock to a semblance of rock.
    Just my opinion.

7. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Judas Priest when Rob Halford quit (by fax)

8. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Journey after Steve Perry

Boston after Brad Delp (yeah he came back for Corporate America and the other one, but never handled all the vocals like he did on the first three albums).

9. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Maybe not a drop-off in commercial success, but certainly a different (not for the better IMO) band sound/style for The Doobie Brothers after Tom Johnston left.

10. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

The Cure after drummer Boris Williams left in 1993. The ten or so years that he was part of the band saw them create some (most?) of their most iconic and enduring work, nothing's really come close since.

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  11. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

True. But this was a bigger drop off.. (and yes, I know, Some Girls followed that.. their last dying gasp)

[​IMG]

Jimmy B. likes this.
  12. Indeed - Doug Yule brought in his brother Billy to sub for her on Loaded.

seed_drill likes this.
  13. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

I actually enjoy the swagger of songs like "Finish What Ya Started" and "Top of the World". Keep in mind, the keyboard stuff was 101% Eddie. It's why Dave left and Sammy doesn't even play piano or keyboards.

When they surprised the crowd by turning up for an acoustic set at Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit concert, Eddie explained that the first album was Eddie writing on piano or keyboard while Sammy wrote on a guitar...

I get your point but the artistic drop off wasn't to do with Sammy. I love Dave and his big persona, but artistic he wasn't.

14. StevenC

It's very fashionable to take Gilmour's side and snub Waters because Roger says stuff people don't like. However, "Wish You Were Here", "The Wall", "Animals", all those albums that you adore are the brainchildren of Roger Waters. Yes, Gilmour wrote the guitar parts over tracks, but everyone loves Money and that's Roger writing on his bass. But again, it's fashionable and almost cliche to favor Gilmour these days.

peskypesky and MortSahlFan like this.
  15. StevenC

times a million. Steve Perry was the heart and soul of Journey and everything since, and yes I've seen them live since, is like Karaoke.

negative1 and AppleCorp3 like this.
  16. zen

zen Senior Member

Noone looked to Van Roth for, artistic music. I've always been schooled that VH was fun party music, pre-Sammy. Nothing more! Now it's artistic rock? Hum.

17. StevenC

Here's one some may know and many may not know... And fans of this band may disagree, but the British band Suede. On their first two albums and the "Stay Together" EP, there was very strong artistic quality in every song. The b-sides, everything. Artsy and a bit dark and dangerous. When Bernard Butler quit, things were still great but things got very sunny... very poppy.... Both eras are very good but Bernard Butler was a musical genius and his back-fills were competent but it took 2 people to back-fill him.

twicks likes this.
  18. Murman

Murman Forum Resident

Same. Bought the first, played it a few times and that was it. Spider and the others who sang just didn't do it for me. Shane's first post-pogues album, The Snake, was fantastic. The Crock of Gold was a significant step down.

carlwm likes this.
  19. Murman

Murman Forum Resident

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds after Mick Harvey left

twicks likes this.
  20. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

I don't think people are discussing their thoughts on Pink Floyd to be 'fashionable' or 'cliche'. We're music fans giving our honest opinions. Roger Waters made a big contribution to 70s Pink Floyd, but the other band members contributed as well. Both to the songwriting and also to the arrangements, production, and performance.

We can see what Roger contributed to Pink Floyd by looking at The Final Cut, which is him minus the contributions of the others. And in my opinion it is a much lesser album than the classic 70s albums when all four were contributing.

Philo Beddoe, veloso2, RTZ and 2 others like this.
  21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Waiting For Herb really struck a chord with me for some reason. Along with Peace & Love, it's probably my go-to Pogues album these days. Just love the songs and performances.

I've got The Snake which I like, particularly the Gerry Rafferty cover .Never heard Crock Of Gold.

22. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

That sounds pretty selective, considering Roger wrote 100% of lyrics before, and a majority of the music.

23. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Keith returned from Planet Junk.

24. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

:shrug: I think that's at least as good as Goats Head Soup and It's Only Rock & Roll -- maybe better.

veloso2, twicks and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  25. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

98% of the fans buying tickets have no idea who John Deacon is.

97% couldn't name Brian May, hence Queen +.

People do not know the names of most individuals in bands.

zen and intv7 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.