Biggest Band Drop-off After One Quits/Fired

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Aug 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

that may be so, but there's nothing epic about "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" or "Division Bell". We all bought them. We all like them, but I think even just the slow song "The Final Cut" is better than anything on those other 2 albums...

Zoot Marimba, nedison and MortSahlFan like this.
  2. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

Here's another sort of strange one. Morrissey solo had a songwriting partner and lead guitarist named Alain Whyte. Alain wrote most of the music for albums like "Your Arsenal" and "Vauxhall and I", his two best albums in my book. In 2004, Alain Whyte wrote the comeback album "You Are The Quarry" and then left. Morrissey enlisted a replacement named Jesse Tobias and things went way south. Amateurish music and low artistic quality. All albums have been a drop off since 2005. Really bad ones in there. I know the Moz diehards will say "He can't make a bad song!" - oh, yes he can!

3. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Pink Floyd is my favorite band ever, but I don't like AMLOR and TDB at all

peskypesky and StevenC like this.
  4. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Fair enough mace. I am a big fan of the Smokin album so maybe not fair of me to say there was a huge drop off immediately but I think their albums were spotty after that release with Marriott starting to drift into a more soul type phase with the backup singers. I just don't think the post Frampton material is as strong but as you said YMMV. I will say I do also love the KBFH 1973 San Fran Live release especially the slow bluesy Road Runner. My first concert ever was the Clem version of the band in 1972 and they could still bring it live.

mace likes this.
  5. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Eleven pages and no one has mentioned
    Chicago after Cetera left.

Terrapin Station and MortSahlFan like this.
  6. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

to me, ultravox officially began when john foxx left.
    that's when they were in the peak commercial and critical success.

so i can't agree with them dropping off. nobody remembers any hits from their
    first few albums. but 'vienna', the album and song will be a classic.

later

pwhytey likes this.
  7. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

yeah, that's a good point, after nick heyward left, they struggled with the next album,
    and the singles.

although a lot of it sounded very similar to the first album.

later

8. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Not really. "Up", "Reveal", "Accelerate" and "Collapse Into Now" are up there with any of their other albums to me.

9. johnny 99

Yes it was. "Blood, Sweat & Tears" is a really good album. David Clayton Thomas had a fantastic voice back then.

You need the 1st two albums of theirs to fully appreciate that band for what they were.

Vic_1957 and Terrapin Station like this.
  10. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

I agree that they still had some great songs in them. I think Up is their lost masterpiece. But I still think they lost a lot when Berry left.

11. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Jason quit

12. johnny 99

No way.
    "Share The Land" and "Rockin'" are 2 excellent albums. They were still really good right up to and including "Flavours".

13. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Not that clear.
    [​IMG]

ARK and classicrocker like this.
  14. Zoot Marimba

And it was better than Stormbringer.

Deek57 likes this.
  15. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Bingo.

The closest thing to Alan Wilder’s presence for Depeche was having the incredible Tim Simenon as producer, who stayed for just one album and one single.

pwhytey likes this.
  16. Zoot Marimba

No

17. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

Sparks was never the same after Adrian Fisher left.

18. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

so, if you're picking one member, you think it's mick macneil. because they still had
    a ton of success with the next 3 albums (two number 1's, and a number 2 in the UK)
    even after he left.

i don't agree with derek forbes leaving making a big impact either.

jim and charlie have managed pretty well, and had several lineup changes even
    before that. so no one person leaving impacted the band, it was just the style
    of music that they played.

they disbanded in 1991, so that doesn't count, because they didn't haven an album afterwards.

the heads was just a one off album with guest vocalists, so it was a different band.

they had more success, and much larger appeal after he left. so how is that a drop off.
    they seemed to be pretty consistent in their releases.

i personally don't like anything after black celebration even when he was there, but thats just because of the
    style of music, and not a band member leaving (although they have some decent
    singles here and there during that time).

abc has just been martin fry for quite some time now. (and it was mostly him and mark white
    most of the time)

flock of seagulls has been mike score for ages too. (granted not a duo)

i do agree about curt smith leaving leading to a huge drop in quality, although there
    was still some good singles coming out.

later

19. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

I think Pink Floyd had bigger drops with the departures of Richard Wright (The Wall --> The Final Cut) and Roger Waters (left after The Final Cut) than they did with the departure of Syd Barrett. The departure of Syd Barrett meant the arrival of David Gilmour, and in my opinion, all of the best Pink Floyd albums were released in the '70s, when the lineup had Gilmour/Waters/Wright/Mason.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  20. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Clearly you're allowed to think so. I think that AMLoR and TFC are similar in quality, but have quite different strong points. The songwriting is, on average, better on TFC. The production and performance better on AMLoR. The two albums show why Rog & Dave, as Rog himself said, made such a great team.

21. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

As I pointed out in the post, PF were not just about songwriting. Arrangement and performance is a very major part of what they were about.

Zoot Marimba and Billy Infinity like this.
  22. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

i saw them around then. found it pretty disappointing. no fire.

23. muddlehead

muddlehead Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of Other Voices Doors album w/o Morrison and Be a Brother Big Brother album w/o Janis. Check 'em out if you haven't heard them.

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  24. peskypesky

couldnt agree more

Oatsdad likes this.
  25. peskypesky

Agreed.

Gilmour is almost surely a more friendly fellow....while Waters seems an insufferable mix of egotism and misanthropy....but there's no doubt that Waters' songwriting genius is levels above Gilmour's.

That being said, Waters' solo work is levels below his Pink Floyd work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.