Amazon “On Demand” CDRs?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by crookedbill, Mar 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Forum Resident

My latest example above would show that this isn't true. I pre-ordered a brand-new release and received an on-demand CD-R, even though a regular version is available from other etailers.

Matthew Tate, Eric_Generic and Dave like this.
  2. Rocky's Owner

Rocky's Owner I Don't Rent Air

I mentioned this in another thread I started, but there is a way to tell if you're getting a crummy CDR from Amazon, even though they aren't listing it as a CDR anymore. After you put the item in your cart, and after you choose your shipping address, you come to the Choose Your Shipping Options page. On this page, there will be a list of all items you are ordering. If Amazon intends on sending you a crummy CDR, it will state Sold By: Amazon Digital Services, Inc. underneath the item. This will let you know that Amazon is making a CDR for you. If it's a real silver CD it will state Sold By: Amazon.com. However, if the label themselves are in the habit of selling CDRs, such as Smithsonian Folkways, it will say Sold By: Amazon.com, and the only way to tell is to check Discogs.

For example, I put the Now That's What I Call Yacht Rock disc in my cart, and at the Choose Your Shipping Options page it shows Sold By: Amazon Digital Services underneath the item, so I know Amazon will send me a crummy, virtually worthless CDR.

3. aperfecttool

aperfecttool Ænimic \m/

It has a Note on the item page as well:

[​IMG]

4. Rocky's Owner

That's strange. It's not showing that note regarding being manufactured on demand when I look at it on Amazon. On my page, above "Report incorrect product information" there's just a blank space.

5. Rocky's Owner

When I'm signed in to my Amazon account, and look at the page for Now That's What I Call Yacht Rock, it doesn't say anything anywhere about it being manufactured on demand. But I'm signed out of my Amazon account on another browser, and on that page it does state Note: This product is manufactured on demand when ordered from Amazon.com
    I wonder if Amazon is doing some testing, and not putting that note on some people's pages on their accounts, to see what they can get away with, and if people will squawk if they send them a CDR even though it doesn't state CDR. Anyway, you can still tell what you're getting by following the method I stated above.

6. Michael Chavez

Michael Chavez Forum Resident

seems pretty clear that this distribution method isn't that far removed from beta testing - if not still so, at least as far as marketing
    as for amazon product descriptions and listings? - consistently inconsistent (as well as error ridden) has been the name of the game from day one and will only get worse as this behemoth continues to grow and absorb all things retail
    I've logged in, found my item (SOLD and FULFILLED) by amazon, checked out and paid and then gone back to the same listing within a day and the price had change - just that fast
    you're paying for a service, this is a largely service based economy "on the ground" (still, for now)
    if you're unhappy with the product and the pricing structure return the disc
    take the "if I had known" route instead and source whatever the title is you want elsewhere
    people are going to miss record stores more and more as time goes by I think
    nowadays even the big box stores are dropping their catalogs
    : - (
    Is anyone having this issue (amazon playing this game) with mainstream new and big name releases or just niche K-tel type stuff and oldie goldies?

7. It's exactly what they are doing. Amazon does extensive A-B testing, which changes elements on the web page for a select few customers to see how they respond. Amazon isn't the only company doing A-B testing, but they are probably the most aggressive of the big outlets.

8. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

9. Rocky's Owner

Probably will lead to Amazon cracking down on sellers, like they did with DVD sellers, because there were so many counterfeits being sold. Now they make you jump through hoops if you want to sell DVDs on Amazon, maybe same thing will happen with CDs.

I wonder if these counterfeits are obvious CDRs or are they glass-mastered silver CDs? Many buyers would probably not even notice if they were sent a CDR.

10. uzn007

Pure speculation, but it seems like the added expense of glass mastering and pressing would be unnecessary for today's modern counterfeiter.

11. aperfecttool

aperfecttool Ænimic \m/

A lot of times I get that "fake" feeling on the CDs I have purchased online from ImprtCDs and DeepDiscount or any of the sellers on eBay (that I eventually notice when the package arrives that they were from China) - the cover and the text printing looks "runny" or "shadowy" - but if you just look at the disc itself one can not tell the difference as they are not a typical CD-R! My "conspiracy theory" is that they all want us to "stop" buying CDs eventually one way or another.

I also have been seeing a lot of "live", "broadcast" or "FM broadcast" CDs being sold from artists like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, AC/DC, Foo Fighters etc on legit stores like Bull Moose for example: Foo Fighters - The Big Day Out are these legit copies wherein the profits are shared with the artists? This one always confuses me.

12. No, what it means is that a couple of US distributors have picked up those EU CDs for sale.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Possible, but the major labels are killing CD themselves. So take what they say with a grain of salt.

The more alarming sentence from that article:

100 percent of the CD box sets bought by the RIAA — 40 boxsets on eBay, 32 on AliExpress — were found to be counterfeit.

Matthew Tate and uzn007 like this.
  14. Michael Chavez

Michael Chavez Forum Resident

No one is making money off new, standard, off the shelf physical CD sales anymore except the used record stores

No one

The record companies could care less at this point except for being ticked that they didn't do a better job protecting their interests and getting with the times (10 YEARS ago)

(I LOVE the lady who was replacing the CD she wore out! : - )
    End of an Era: Dimple Records Owners, Regulars Say Goodbye to Sacramento-Area Staple

The founder of this store was allegedly one of the founders of Record Store Day

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Eric_Generic likes this.
  15. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

If you go bottom-feeding on eBay and AliExpress for inexpensive box sets, you're going to get counterfeits. It is indeed a major issue, but the "100% of box sets were counterfeit" claim is somewhat misleading, and I question the RIAA's methodology here - it seems like they rigged the deck to ensure a screaming-headline result.

PhantomStranger and Eric_Generic like this.
  16. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Yeah, nobody goes to Ali Express looking for a genuine product. That's like shouting "I'm carrying lots of cash" in Manhattan and expecting not to get mugged. And nobody buys a $160 box set on eBay at $40 expecting a genuine one. That's not to say it's okay - it's not - but this article seems to willfully ignore obscenely obvious red flags.

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Then how would they pass off a deluxe Pink Floyd or Beatles box as the “almost” real thing? A CD-R is not going to cut it for the buyer who wants something somewhat resembling the teal thing.

How does one avoid the glass mastering to get silver pressed discs?

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, one needs the 3rd party (used) sellers to get the real thing now-in-days. And not fulfilled by Amazon product. Oh wait, Amazon just kicked those sellers off the platform a couple of years ago. Never mind.

But it’s funny, the used CD sellers were likely to have the real things, Amazon’s fulfillment gets you the bootleg / counterfeits. You can’t make this stuff up!

no.nine likes this.
  19. uzn007

I think you're overestimating the percentage of buyers who are likely to check whether the CDs are real, or who even know how to tell the difference.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. BobbyH

BobbyH Forum Resident

It sucks that some labels aren’t putting out actual CDs of certain albums. I wanted to buy the soundtrack for It: Chapter by Benjamin Wallfisch and it looks like it’s only available on vinyl, as a digital download, or on a CDr. The first It soundtrack from 2017 was released on a normal CD, so why not the second one?

If I order the CDr version on Amazon will the files be the same quality as on a normal CD?

21. Movie scores are the type of niche fare unfortunately going all digital sooner rather than later.

22. uzn007

It's presumably from the same audio source as a normal CD, so it should sound the same. My concern would be the durability of the media.

23. Gene Parmesan

Got caught on another one. The new album by The Bird and The Bee: Interpreting the Masters Vol. 2. There's absolutely no indication on Amazon's page that I was going to receive a Manufactured-On-Demand CDR.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, on my Orders page, it's the same seller as other (non-CDR) discs I've purchased: "Sold by: Amazon.com Services LLC."

[​IMG]

The only "clue" that I should've picked up on is that no other etailers are offering this on CD: only digital download or vinyl. EDIT: looks like there's a Japanese CD (with bonus track) available.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    PhantomStranger likes this.
  24. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

Anything listed as "Sold by: Amazon.com Services LLC" is going to be a CDr. I guess burning the cd for you is considered the "service". They definitely need to be more upfront about it on the product pages.

I also don't understand why they are offering new releases on CDr that already exist as pressed CD's (and that they also sell) such as Lizzo's "Cuz I Love You" album. Makes no sense to me.

25. Gene Parmesan

Not true. I have other CDs purchased recently that are definitely not CDR. They all say "Sold by: Amazon.com Services LLC." There is no rhyme or reason to it.

uzn007 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.