Parting with CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam9, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I don't know how I've made this far in life without dinosaur taco holders, I need some!

*googles*

2. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Yep, the following prized possessions...

Jimi Hendrix on Dagger Records.

John Tefteller's Blues Images CD's included with the calendars.

MFSL and Analog Productions hybrid SACD releases.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Andrew Smith likes this.
  3. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Well, they came and went, and I never noticed them. Guess I was not listening to the right radio stations, and hangin' out with youngsters then. Did I miss something?

4. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

The itunes store will still be available to purchase music. The itunes app on the mac is being retired.

itunes app/store will remain as it is on windows until further notice. The market for buying digital music may be shrinking but it's still there.

5. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Some good tunes/albums!

Being in the US I can see why you missed them, over here in the UK it was all Oasis and Blur battling it out in the charts back in the 90s.

Nowadays all we get is the two brothers bickering in the press about one another.

Chris Schoen likes this.
  6. Chris Schoen

O.k., I will take your word for it.

Guy E likes this.
  7. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

In relation...I bought a used polaroid camera the other day.

What is wrong with me!

The MEZ and mark winstanley like this.
  8. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Several musicians have told me that the only money they've ever made from the sale of recordings was through Bandcamp. They never received a royalty check during the entire course of their careers. "Bandcamp has been really good for us" is an oft-repeated line. Bandcamp takes 15% of digital sales and 10% on merchandise sales, so 85-90% of the money that you pay goes directly to the artist... or label and artist, depending.

9. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

You can find the company's address on-line and send them a retroactive royalty check for your purchase. If you consider yourself a solid citizen you will proceed with this course of action, posthaste!

10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Oasis were pretty good, but I don't think the world will end if you never hear them :)

Chris Schoen likes this.
  11. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

I ENVY YOU.

12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I'm not certain what the exact percentage is, but I have a number of albums and singles that don't exist on streaming services today, and likely never will. And I mean actual content, not a first pressing of an album versus a remaster (number will be much higher, if I add that also).

One thing I used to like about OneDrive / MS's setup was they did integrate their streaming service with your local storage and even items you uploaded to their cloud. Gave my listening experience a more "seamless" setup between the two.

They killed that off and although Apple seems to have done something similar, I know that MS allowed for more format options including, as I recall near the end, FLAC. Apple's formats are tmk still few and far between and more walled garden so I generally listen to my own music via local storage and then if I want to stream I'll just use Tidal.

Also not a fan of voice commands, for security reasons. I'll use it sparingly in the car (self-explanatory) but Siri / Cortana / Alexa are all off in my home.

Guy E, Eric_Generic and anorak2 like this.
  13. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

I’ve seen you state this several times on this board as if you’re proud of the fact. You should maybe hang with the youngsters more often. They were a good band.

Also find it extremely hard to believe you’ve never heard Wonderwall or Champagne Supernova, either.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  14. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Oasis were pretty easy to ignore in the USA. I don't expect brilliant originality from rock bands, but they didn't add much to their influences. And from the few interview snippets I've read, the lead singer was an unlikeable twat.

Somerset Scholar and Man at C&A like this.
  15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I mainly use Alexa, Cortana, Google Assistant, etc. type of devices in bed for streaming OTR, Radio Margaritaville, jazz and classical streams, "online radio" stations that are kind of freeform AOR 60s-70s oriented, 70s-90s Contemporary Christian Music oriented, etc.

16. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Most rock stars are pretty unlikable, I would say.

Lost In The Flood and DME1061 like this.
  17. Chris Schoen

Probably did hear "Wonderwall", but did not take notice of what band it was. It's not actually hard to "miss" popular things if you don't hang with people who are trendy.
    There are maybe lots of things I have missed, but most are not that important. The "never heard of Oasis" thing (although true,) is just kind of an inside joke.

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

If you heard Oasis, you probably thought that you were listening to Lenny Kravitz. They shared the same "one obvious influence per song" philosophy.

19. The article is really nothing more than recycled Marie Kondo ("ideally, you should keep no more than thirty books") applied to music.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure most people who love music and want to "simplify their life" may purge their CD collection...but keep digital copies of all their CDs on their computer (and probably backed up elsewhere). Which is, legally speaking, piracy - if you get rid of your CDs, you are supposed to also delete any copies you have kept of them. How many people (especially here) are willing to do that? Precious few, I'd bet.

Lost In The Flood and broshfab4 like this.
  20. SKOT_FREE

SKOT_FREE Active Member

I personally stopped buying CD’s regularly 11-12 years ago. The point in which I stopped is after I found an iPod and downloaded most of my CD’s to iTunes and that’s when I realized owning CD’s was pretty useless And that’s even more so now a days because you can stream music from Spotify or any number of sources. So I basically have Spotify and buy vinyl, that’s it. I’m not getting rid of the CD’s I own but I’m not buying any more either.

21. RicB

RicB Certified Porcupine Tree Fan

You're right, but I just can't feel guilty for keeping my digital copies - I spend enough money on music...

22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Not if I do it this way

[​IMG]

23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

She said that?! :realmad::realmad::realmad:

Lost In The Flood and RicB like this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

He mostly is in the media, but every now and then he'll come out with something hilarious in interviews. I know a couple of people who've met him and both say that he was a really decent guy. He's good with the fans but not with the media when they're hassling him, or his brother as far as I'm aware.

25. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.