Language question: Why has "vinyls" become a word?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TMegginson, Aug 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

In the UK, "maths" is correct and "math" incorrect, such as in "I didn't do well in maths."

Greg Gee and PopularChuck like this.
  2. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Why don't they speak English, dammit.

3. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

The English way makes sense. I would naturally say “I failed my stats course” rather than “... stat course.” And I’m American.

Dave Decadent and ParloFax like this.
  4. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Darnit! I did see it but forgot to highlight it!

5. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I have several friends who collect vinyl, and I frequent record stores and often people watch ha, and I have never heard someone say "vinyls" in person. Is this a phenomenon that people are encountering online perhaps? As in people are typing "I collect vinyls" instead of "I collect records"....?

6. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

Especially on internet news sites. They seem to be more concerned about getting an article posted than having it proof read and/or edited.

7. Greg Gee

I think sometimes Americans forget that English originated in England. And, if you want to get technical, English actually has a German heritage.

8. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

It actually originated in what we would now call Germany, as I see you’ve updated your post to acknowledge.

9. Greg Gee

...before I saw this. ;o)
    It was an after thought expecting to hear about it.

10. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Before the Angles and the Saxons colonized the island that we now call England, the people who lived there spoke either Latin or Celtic dialects. And didn’t say “vinyls.”

KeninDC, DeRosa and Greg Gee like this.
  11. Greg Gee

LOL!

12. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

"Vinyls" irritates me. Really.

13. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Since you are clearly educated or trained in language, I'm very curious why you've posted so many responses in this thread
    with either technical or historic language usage explanations, yet somehow seem to be refuting the basic point that it is quite common to place
    an "s" on a "countable noun" to make it plural. Certainly you're not arguing "vinyl" when used as a noun referring to an LP record is a mass noun?

Just to be clear, you obviously understand the difference between using "vinyl" and as an adjective rather than a noun, yes?
    Or are you making the argument that it's incorrect to use "vinyl" as a noun? Do you accept "CD" or "Cassette" as nouns?
    We're not biased by format, correct?

There are a vast number of irregular plural noun examples, perhaps you prefer 'vinylen', 'vinylves', or
    or some other exception to the normal plural noun patterns?

NaturalD likes this.
  14. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

Vinyls bugs me. Its just wrong. Even if you insist on calling a record 'vinyl', your entire collection is still 'vinyl', not 'vinyls'.

The other one that really bugs me is 'colorways'. "Our new turntable is available in a number of attractive colorways". No. It's available in a number of attractive colors. Period.

sunking101 and Eric_Generic like this.
  15. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I’m 42 and when I was growing up, LP, plural LPs, was a term people older than me used to refer to records. My generation would have probably needed to come up with our own term, but vinyl had fallen out of fashion when we started to build our record collections so we were spared the bother. Nowadays, vinyl is popular again but no self respecting millennial is going to want to refer to it by a name that was passe in the early nineties, hence vinyl, plural vinyls. I don’t have to like it but things move on.

16. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It does me too, but i'm trying to understand the reason why, other than it wasn't what we said back in the (before Record Store) day.
    "Cassettes" doesn't bother me at all, so it's a curious thing.

17. hhjack

hhjack Forum Resident

18. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

They're records. Or albums. Or LPs.

Not that I am interested in the format anymore!

EG.

19. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Or colours if you live in the UK.:p

Dave Decadent and Eric_Generic like this.
  20. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Honestly what’s the big deal? It doesn’t bug me one way or another... and not nearly as much as the incorrect use of their/there or your/you’re!

Markyp, lc1995 and NaturalD like this.
  21. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

thats a good point

22. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

I don't see why it's any different from a colloquial terms like "rubber".

23. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

When CDs first came out, my roommate and I referred to them as "tapes" because we couldn't bring ourselves to utter the word "compact disc" or "CD".

24. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

Of course it's French. It's "des vinyles" here, which means records, either 7" or 12".

25. stevenson66g

stevenson66g Hand me my Revolver

Vinyl is a material and as such it has no plural. You refer to wood or metal, not woods or metals (unless talking about the different types - when talking about the material it's only referred to as a collective singular). Records and cassettes are talking about specific products and therefore are referred to in the plural. But vinyl is the material from which records are made, and as such I never heard records referred to as vinyl when I was younger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.