Most confusing/convoluted plots of all time

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rocker, Aug 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Wiki says Get Smart did an episode of the same title.
    Wiki is sometimes wrong so I'll just leave it at that, but thanks for the feedback.

2. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

One of my favorite films! Love it!

Jazzmonkie and Chris DeVoe like this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It was remarkable. Everyone in it was excellent, many of them doing some of the best work in their careers. And the amazing thing is that it was so enjoyable even though I hadn't gotten every last little bit of the plot, the tale was told so well that I didn't mind.

Tim Lookingbill and Greg Gee like this.
  4. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

It's one of those films I can watch over and over again and it just never gets old. As you say, the acting is incredible. Guy Pearce and Russell Crowe are as good as they get. I've always felt that anything Guy Pearce does is usually worth watching.
    Have you seen The Proposition? I've recommended that a few times to friends and they've come back to me scratching their heads. I don't find it convoluted but others have.

5. Chris DeVoe

Definitely!
    No, missed that one. I'm pretty sure my wife Vickie has seen it - she pretty much sees everything,

Greg Gee likes this.
  6. I really really hated that movie. Not because it was convoluted it was just boring and a poorly told tale. Twice twist but a twist is only as good as everything that comes before and how good it is st telling the stories.

7. Chris DeVoe

Yeah, I saw that as a sneak preview with the directors... and obscurity was sort of a refuge for them. What was interesting is that they made the entire film using leftover ends of unexposed film reels that they got at a great discount. So they plotted out every scene to occupy that exact amount of film, after having endlessly rehearse each scene over and over. From what I understand every scene is literally the only take.

So what I'm saying is it's a more interesting idea than execution.

wayneklein likes this.
  8. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

9. I actually enjoyed the series but the show seemed planned on the fly with Syfy interfering just as they had with BG.

10. And a homage to a movie (On Her Majesty’s Secret Service) that Nolan loved. Personally, I enjoyed the film although the ending made me sad...

11. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Another contender might be The Tree of Life with Brad Pitt. Either convoluted or simply pointless...not sure which. Maybe both?

GodShifter and Chris DeVoe like this.
  12. Luckily I had read the book. Lynch’s film is like a weird Reader’s Digest version of the film. On acid.

Ginger Ale and eric777 like this.
  13. I vote for pointless and pretty.

Vidiot likes this.
  14. It’s compressible. After lots of drugs.

15. It was on a The Black List when I read it so I could follow it pretty well. Likewise, I thought the film was comprehensible to me just a lot of mysterious things that kept you guessing. I thought they did a good job but felt at the t8me it could have been a very good one hour episode of The Twilight Zone or even Night Gallery (or the 80’s reboot of TZ).

Tim S likes this.
  16. It definitely was an influence on lots of commericals particularly this one

Chanel No.5 #5 Share the Fantasy

From Ridley Scott.

Love this scene though at 1:40 with the people generating shadows while the rest of the trees, etc do not.

"Last Year at Marienbad"

Dudley Morris and Vidiot like this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh, I loved Dark. Terrific show. Short description: "I'm my own grandpa." :laugh:

I got a couple of episodes in and said, "well, the only way this makes any sense is if time travel is involved." Boom!

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I love Inception and have watched it twice in a theater and twice on home video. Liked it every time. Terrific film, and the story is not that hard to follow if you pay attention. But the sound mix is atrocious, a primo example of dialogue buried by a hundred layers of music and sound effects. Awful. If you can overlook that, the acting and story and VFX and art direction and cinematography are phenomenal. Nolan is a difficult, very opinionated filmmaker, but I think he often does good work.

But I hated The Prestige, because I felt a lot of it was a cheat, plus Nolan diverged drastically from the novel on which it was based. There's a lot of goofy crap in that film -- and I discovered all my objections were the script changes he had altered from the novel.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  19. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I don’t know much about British accents but after watching Mike Leigh’s Life is Sweet and not understanding half the dialogue we wished the movie had subtitles. Seems the more “international” crop of movies from the UK have more understandable accents for universal consumption? Sorry if I am being insensitive.

20. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

Chinatown may not have the most convoluted plot ever but I doubt that anyone ever made sense of the whole thing on the first viewing. According to Robert Evans, paramount was initially reluctant to release it, because much of it was so confusing.

I think I finally got it all on the 5th or 6th try.

Saint Johnny, Jimmy B., Tim S and 3 others like this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naw, I can't buy into a movie like that -- too many plot holes in that idea.

22. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Godfather Part III

23. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yes, well I've never cared to watch it since I saw it at the cinema.

Seen 1 and 3 many times.

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Plot-wise, "Tree" is actually very simple. It's just not told in a straightforward manner!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.