Biggest Band Drop-off After One Quits/Fired

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Aug 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’m not confusing anything in either case. Pink Floyd’s post-Barrett albums were extremely strong in terms of “artistic importance” and are what almost everybody thinks of when the name Pink Floyd comes up. Hotel California is at least as strong an album as the Eagle’s Bernie-era albums (none of which, to be fair, are front-to-back masterpieces without flaw...).

Billy Infinity likes this.
  2. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I agree (about Pink Floyd) to an extent. But Saucerful and Piper are so next level that I can’t help but wonder if they would’ve reached such great critical heights without them... and him.

DTK and Big Blue like this.
  3. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

Eno getting fired from Roxy Music.

4. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

Still not over that delicate adult contemporary Karate Kid 2 song

RTurner and Big Blue like this.
  5. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

IORR sucks obviously, mainly due to Keith's habit and Mick's brain having been eaten by David Bowie, but Goats Head Soup has some very strong songs on it. Heartbreaker is one of their most impassioned tracks, Winter and Coming Down Again are among their most beautiful ballads. 100 Years Ago is also a great great song. Hide Your Love is cool. It's still a step down from the run from Beggars Banquet to Exile, but there are still flashes of them being at the height of their powers. I remember the Creem magazine review when it came out--it was an overall good review, but mainly what it focused on was the fact that it was actually quite a quiet and grown up record for the Stones. It was kind of the first album where they were in a pretty reflective mood. The "classic Stones" rockers are meh--Silver Train, Star Star etc., Dancin With Mr D is a misfire, but the mid tempo and slow songs on GHS are on the whole pretty stellar IMO anyway....

Timjosephuk, Zoot Marimba and DTK like this.
  6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I see your point, and also recognize there was maybe a drop in the immediate aftermath of his departure. I think it’s fair to say they picked it back up and then some, though.

7. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Both parties suffered as a result of the split.

8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Even Jim has admitted that members leaving/being sacked seriously impacted the chemistry of the band and obviously how they wrote the songs. After Derek was out they were essentially down to a trio with hired hands, and ever since Mick left it's been the Jim and Charlie show. They recovered nicely but I'd say Real Life and Good News are their most uneven albums, and that was due to Mick being gone to a large degree.

negative1 likes this.
  9. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

i agree but I can put on something like AMUSED TO DEATH and listen all the way through...

10. Fannymac

Fannymac Forum Resident

Fanny, once Patti Quatro replaced June Millington.
    While Patti was a decent enough guitarist, she didn't have the scope, breadth and diversity of June.

jwjeffrey likes this.
  11. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

But they weren't at all bad on tour. At the time, I thought the idea of a funky and R&B influenced Deep Purple was a terrible, terrible idea. Now, I listen to those Tommy Bolin live shows a lot and love them.

12. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

Love CTTE, but my favorite Yes album is GFTO.
    Topographic and Relayer are also up there in my book.

13. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

This may be controversial...Fairport after Ian Matthews quits.

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  14. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Soft Machine after Robert Wyatt is fired.

peskypesky likes this.
  15. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

If you read the book Sunken Treasure it goes into detail about how the film was purposefully edited with footage rearranged and taken out of context to make him look bad.
    The quote where Leroy Bach says ‘the friendship had run its course’ was part of a story where he was telling the filmmakers how surprised he was that Jay threw him a lifeline by asking him to join Wilco after Jay had been in Wilco for a few years and Leroy hadn’t heard much from him for a while and had assumed ‘the friendship had run its course’.
    He was actually talking Jay up and they made it look like he was bashing him after he left the band. Awful stuff.
    The book also says the film crushed Jay and he felt embarrassed to even go out and be a part of the local scene.

And yes, the magic left Wilco with him

unclefred likes this.
  16. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think Henley wanted to see how it would be to lead.

Timjosephuk likes this.
  17. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

Have not read the whole thread but have been listening to some Bob Dylan and Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers from 1986 and while Petty & The Heartbreakers never stopped being excellent, they were never the same after Stan Lynch quit. He was a great drummer plus he took the occasional vocal ("Down The Road Apiece", "Psychotic Reaction"). I guess he left because Petty's decision to record without the Heartbreakers (but still with Mike Campbell) got under Lynch's skin. Steve Ferrone was a decent replacement but the band never really kicked it the way they did when Lynch was behind the kit in my view.

18. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

They absolutely did not have greater success. Their only real "hit" since his departure has been "Precious" and the "Playing the Angel" album, apart from that, sales are a fraction of what they were. Yes, their touring audiences are healthy but that's partly down to a shift in what people want from music now, the general move away from owning records/CDs and instead having experiences which has boosted everyone's live profile in the last 15-20 years.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  19. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Chuck Negron being fired from Three Dog Night due to his heroin use.

jwjeffrey likes this.
  20. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I'm blaming John.

21. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Why are you posting this great album here?

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  22. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yeah, that is a pretty big turd. I'd say the drop off came when Wright was fired.

23. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

No, they were a lot better than average with Dio, and Heaven and Hell is a lot better than the two records that came before. I'd say the drop off came with Born Again and the departure of Dio.

four sticks likes this.
  24. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Black and Blue isn't better than those two albums. I don't get the love for it here.

25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I agree except I love Dancing With Mr D. The song, that is :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.