Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

There's definitely some truth to this, and good call on Depeche Mode (also on one of my other favorite all time bands.) I still think the technology boom of the 1980s made things sound very futuristic, and sadly all that was considerably toned down in the Rock acts of the 1990s due to an oversaturation of it. There were a lot of underground electronic acts in the 1990s that help evolve the style, and I'm glad to see a return of it in modern mainstream music.

I still think AMLOR was a good step forward. The electronic aspects were refined and worked really well on some of the tracks on TER and DB. It still remains a top ten 1980s album for me.

2. Tiago Fernandes

Tiago Fernandes Forum Resident

Don't know what you mean. :D

[​IMG]

St. Troy, siveld, BeatleJWOL and 23 others like this.
  3. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

I was not refereeing to music when I wrote "everything that has Pink Floyd printed on it" but rather all kinds of more or less useless merchandise. Like I said I used to be like that and would buy stuff just because it said Pink Floyd.
    I have been collecting for more than 20 years and have most box sets, several versions of each album on Vinyl, singles, every solo album, VHS tapes, DVDs, Blu-rays books etc. So basicay I have everything I ever dreamed of when I started collection, and I only buy if I discover something rare and unusual like a vinyl with a different cover or if something new is released like a new album, box set or RSD releases. Maybe if I find a nice poster I would consider buying it, but I'd never buy a steak knife, a beach towel or a wall clock just because it had Pink Floyd printed on it.
    But to each their own :)

Nice collection btw!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Tiago Fernandes likes this.
  4. Tiago Fernandes

Cheers!

Ah. I don't buy any of that stuff. I'm only guilty of having two huge posters on my walls but that's it. One of them:

[​IMG]

St. Troy, petercl, drum_cas and 8 others like this.
  5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

DG sounds way less dated than About Face

6. floydfan2410

I love it!
    I have a Gilmour at Pompeii poster that I still haven't framed yet lol.

Tiago Fernandes likes this.
  7. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

yep. about face has some great material but sadly weighted by some of the production. the no frills DG is a stone cold classic and one of the most enjoyable guitar centric releases of the seventies!

8. :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

9. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

A beautiful collection! However, you seem to have to go through a lot of hassle to play those Immersion sets.:D

mc9 likes this.
  10. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

Love it. Awesome collection. I only own a few of those boxes now, as I sold most of my stuff and went digital/streaming. But TLY is probably going to be my first physical PF box in awhile.

11. Tiago Fernandes

I have just done this 3000x1500.

[​IMG]

Now to convince the wife....

Cheers! Just a temporary spot for the moment. Although I've taken all the discs out and put them in jewel cases. Horrible design to hold them in the box.

I can't part with any of them. Although I have multiples of everything on vinyl and CD.

12. floydfan2410

I feel the same! Don't think I could ever make myself sell from my collection! I'm too attached to it now.

Tiago Fernandes and footlooseman like this.
  13. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Excellent, spot-on post.

14. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Oh well, merch is not music so I try to avoid buying them. T-Shirt been an exception. I would however be interested to see the revenue numbers from these crappy items.

PF Animals BBQ tools should definitely sitting around your BBQ pit! :biglaugh:

15. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

The merch stuff isn't really that crazy. If you look at similar stores for Deep Purple, Genesis, Led Zeppelin, etc they all have a fair amount of guff for sale.

People buy it, so they sell it.

16. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

Yeah, pretty much. And some of their shirts are ok too. I'll probably buy a few TLY pieces when they go up.

17. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Sometimes what is included can be superfilous and sometimes cool. Lately it seems like some of the stuff included and the size is just, to me, too much.

18. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

Reproduction memorabilia is OK to look at once but I definitely prefer to have a nice book that covers all the relevant information in sets like this. With a book I will pick it up and flick through it repeatedly and use it for reference, but I won't for example pick out all those bits of paper memorabilia from the Early Years box again.

Six Bachelors, mc9, D-rock and 5 others like this.
  19. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

No news on an official announcement? I’m ready to pre order...

20. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I totally agree - I look at the rather good book in the Shine On box a lot more than TEY memorabilia.

21. floydfan2410

100% agree. I'd much rather have a book with pictures of the tickets, posters etc. I don't even think I've looked through everything from the Early Years box yet, and honestly I could have done without most of it. A poster or 2 would have been enough imo. I hope there will be a companion book with TLY.

22. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Pffft to any ephemera, just gimme the music, posters I finally grew out of forty odd years ago in my early twenties, booklets I look at them two maybe three times at most.

23. brfloydfan

brfloydfan Forum Resident

I strongly recommend 'Echoes - The Complete History of Pink Floyd' by Glenn Povey and 'Mind Over Matter - The Images Of Pink Floyd' by Storm Thorgerson and Peter Curzon. Be sure picking up the most recent editions.

24. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

One more week gone and still no announcement. :waiting:

@rontoon, any clue what is taking them so long?

mark winstanley likes this.
  25. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

The “ephemera” in these box sets is all designed to make those counterfeiting lives much harder ..only gotta look at box sets on eBay ..loads from China at cheap prices designed to lure you in

D-rock, realmdemagic and coffeetime like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.