David Crosby (Cameron Crowe)- Croz's life, "Remember My Name" documentary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Feb 8, 2019.

1. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Probably because Neil doesn't talk much about his decisions, or talk dirt about others. Silence is golden.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  2. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

3. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

I'll give the man credit for his answer to this question. I agree 100% with everything he says here.

4. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

He rocked pretty good at one time.

ARK and Chrome_Head like this.
  6. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I saw this today and thought it was great.

I am a fan of the Byrds and also of the various CSN&Y incarnations, although not a zealot. (Nash is probably my favorite.)

I thought this was a very honest portrait. Crosby comes across as quite a character - a big ego, but totally willing to admit his failings. He still has the voice of an angel and a thirst for life even at an advanced age and in obvious ill health.

135 minutes very well spent.

7. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Does anyone know when this is coming out on DVD? Or UK screenings?

8. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

Saw the film today. I was surprised that Stills wasn't interviewed and the NY interviews in the film were from 2000. There was nothing about Crosby's son locating him and playing music with his son. Crosby talking about Joni and his conversation about the loss of Christine Hinton were powerful.

Good stuff.

O Don Piano and Chrome_Head like this.
  9. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

was his brother, who committed suicide mentioned?
    used to play double bass for freddy neil, among others.

10. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

There was nothing on James Raymond? Their story together could fill a good half hour, if not a documentary of its own!

James has been David's most important collabotator since the 1990's when they found each other. I would argue that much of DC's resurgance (begginning with the wonderful CPR albums) is due to James's work and talent.

It still gives me chills when David introduces James at concerts and says ".......and he is my son".

If you wrote a piece of fiction telling this story, people wouldn't believe it.

Christine is of course important but I would argue James has been more important in the last 20 years or so to David's history. You can't make up stuff like that.

ARK, scousette, Humbuster and 2 others like this.
  11. Autotune Sucks

Autotune Sucks Forum Resident

Well...Croz has released two autobiographies so far, so maybe he needs at least two documentaries to cover everything properly. The first one could have ended with a cliffhanger with Croz's pipe falling off of the amplifier during the Crosby/Nash session. Then the film could have cut to a pissed-looking shot of Nash, a stoned shot of Dave and Cameron Crowe intoning off-screen "Stay tuned for Part II: David Crosby - Jailhouse Rock".

Muggles likes this.
  12. J Borland

J Borland Forum Resident

Christine is of course important but I would argue James has been more important in the last 20 years or so to David's history. You can't make up stuff like that.[/QUOTE]

I believe that Christine's death caused David so much pain that it was the push over the edge into drug addiction, which of course is central to David's story.

ARK, JDeanB and guppy270 like this.
  13. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

I've never understood why the Byrds were so angry with Croz for sitting in with the Buffalo Springfield at the Monterey Pop Festival. In books it comes across as they felt it was this huge betrayal. I always felt he was sitting in with pals, like happens at festivals.

Sure, the Kennedy Assassination stuff pissed them off too. But again judging by the outtakes I've heard, Croz mentions it once, briefly.

I've just never fully understood why the other Byrds considered this some "last straw".

JoeRockhead likes this.
  14. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

It's easier to find a last straw when you are looking for one

ARK, JDeanB, mikeburns and 5 others like this.
  15. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

The footage in the film of Croz's JFK rant at Monterrey led me to watch the full (?) performance on YouTube. Croz seems very hopped up onstage at the festival (or excited?), and very much seems to be posturing as the frontman.

Now, I know it's fashionable to say "the Byrds had no leaders", but clearly McGuinn thought it was him. After all, he's the only Byrd that appeared in every iteration of the band.

I don't think it was just the JFK rant, or just playing with the Springfield, or just hanging out with Jefferson Airplane in San Francisco, or just bringing a song about a menage a trois to the group like "Triad". It was all these things and probably his abrasive attitude and his burgeoning drug use on top of it. Croz is the first to say what a jerk he was back then.

guppy270 likes this.
  16. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

That's all very true. Monterey was one link in a growing chain. I guess I never got why Monterey seemed to piss them off so much. But I can see McGuinn thinking Crosby was hogging the spotlight. Everyone was on wonderful pure Owsley, but who knows what else Crosby was on (I don't think he could've played while under STP, despite what his guitar said!) The other Byrds getting pissed at Crosby is one of the few negative experiences I've ever heard ANYONE had at Monterey. Everyone else seemed to be in heaven.

Yeah, Crosby did seem to be piling it on at this time. I don't blame the Byrds, but god imagine if they could've only worked it out? Of course, it worked out better for Crosby than McGuinn, ultimately.

Sorry for kind of derailing this thread.

17. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I can't dislike the guy.

vegafleet, ARK, slosaint and 4 others like this.
  18. Chrome_Head

On the other hand, I honestly can't see Croz sticking around for something like Sweetheart Of The Rodeo. At the very least he'd be very vocally against it.

I also don't see where there was any chance of the original Byrds not splintering or the original members remaining intact. The fact that there was a reunion album at all with the original group was remarkable (though the album itself wasn't).

ARK and guppy270 like this.
  19. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

My own prejudices say that at least keeping McGuinn, Hillman and Crosby would've been great, and better than anything post-SOTR. If there even would've been a SOTRVif Crosby had stayed. But I prefer most of what the originals did than what Gram brought to the table.

Imagine the CS&N songs, and IICORMN songs as Byrds songs?!

CybrKhatru likes this.
  20. Chrome_Head

I have no doubt the Dr Byrds & Mr Hyde album would've been far better with Hillman and Croz in the band. And weak albums (IMO) like Byrdmaniax and Farther Along never would've existed.

To spin this thread even further off, has Hillman or Michael Clarke ever said why they left the band? They seemed to get along with Roger, and Notorious Byrd Bros I think is the band's strongest studio album by quite a lot.

I honestly have a hard time imagining Roger letting Croz release the IICORMN songs as they were as Byrds songs, he'd have probably made Croz develop them more (and I love that album as is). Though Croz did do a version of "Laughing" on the reunion album.

21. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Listening to that interview where Crosby goes off on the interviewer.
    First 20 minutes very casual and cool - starts asking about Joni Mitchell and Crosby is getting bored with the pace of interview

Then the question about how csn first came together- Crosby has had it all of a sudden.

Awkward and uncomfortable at this point.
    Best thing Crosby could have done is stopped the interview and taken a break or asked to reschedule. But he allows himself to stay there and endure something he doesn’t want to do.

Crosby regains himself and continues with interview. And is actually doing so with a good attitude. For 15 minutes

Then the Joni thing comes up again with Our House. Crosby throws the name calling and insults for a bit off mic.

Interview over.

Is a nerve hit with Joni? The one that got away?

22. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

probably would have mostly written different songs had he stayed with the byrds

ARK and guppy270 like this.
  23. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I think all Byrds would tell you they would have handled things differently had they been more mature/older.

guppy270 likes this.
  24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It certainly wasn't the last straw in that they didn't fire him until three months later. But from what McGuinn has said, they felt that it was unprofessional of Crosby to go off on these multiple rants about JFK, spiking peoples' water with LSD, etc. If you listen to the Byrds' full set, his between-song rants definitely have a flavor of attention-seeking "look at me!" to them, and they're designed to be provocative. The other Byrds didn't feel it was the time or place for that. It's telling that both McGuinn and Hillman were completely silent, saying nothing onstage.

It's important to note that their irritation about him sitting in with Buffalo Springfield occurred within the context of him having started to insult the other Byrds as not being good enough musicians to play his music, as well as him specifically telling McGuinn that he wasn't as good a guitarist as Steve Stills. There even was an incident in which McGuinn, Crosby, and Stills were sitting around (it may have been at Monterey) and Crosby was encouraging Stills to show up McGuinn, having him play stuff and then saying to McGuinn, "you can't play that, can you?"

The final straw that led to Crosby's firing was probably his outright refusal to sing on the track "Goin' Back" because he didn't think the band should be doing covers and was also pissed that they were reluctant to put Triad on the album they were recording.

Chrome_Head, jwb1231970 and guppy270 like this.
  25. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Anyone else this doc? A bit frustrating that it’s been out for a month but only in select cities - just stream it already - we’ll stay pay for it.