Project debut carbon dc sub platter

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Philip De Ste Croix, May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

I don't have a way of weighing but it's definitely heavier than the old one!

2. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Seems interesting. Might consider this upgrade for my current Esprit SB DC with a 2m Blue stylus...

3. Robert Godridge

That is exactly the combo I have and just upgraded. So far it isn't a night and day difference for me but it does make a bit of a difference!

Soundslave likes this.
  4. Budgetphile

Budgetphile Forum Resident

This is a very interesting upgrade because of the price, but you guys aren't selling it very well.

5. Robert Godridge

I must say, a few lps later, notably some records I know very well indeed (piano and violin) the soundstage does seem to have improved and the bass sounds a bit tighter, more precise, etc. I never know with these things if I just want it to sound better so imagine it, but honestly, if I were you I'd upgrade it. If you're having the arm resonance I spoke about Hollow sound from pro-ject debut carbon esprit, is it normal? uploaded clip there it does help a fair bit, doesn't get rid completely though.
    It's another upgrade to what is a pretty nice deck, I imagine as well if you sold it on in future you'd get more due to the upgrades and the 2m blue etc.

6. Robert Godridge

I forgot to mention a couple of things
    setup: don't be silly like me and lose the
    small white thrust plate which was inside the bearing, it looks like a little white medicine pill. He had put a cotton bud inside the bearing to prevent it coming out, well I accidentally knocked it, lost it, fitted the upgrades without it and got a lot of noise for my trouble! Anyhow I asked him what'd gone wrong, he told me, I found it, fixed it and all is now well!
    It really should take 10 mins to fit, as has been said before he is extremely helpful and sends everything you'll need, oil and all (in a syringe)
    sound: I have tone controls (using a high quality mixer as preamp as I love active stuff and have 2 turntables, a computer and a cylinder machine as well as a cd player, try a normal amp with all that!) and was always fiddling with the mids to get a fuller sound. Since the upgrade I turned down the mids and haven't turned it back up again, which should say something!
    I'm listening to mostly classical stereo lps on this tt and they need and deserve the best I can afford, I think! this has definitely helped!

7. Fool Me Thrice

Fool Me Thrice Forum Resident

Username checks out

8. Fool Me Thrice

Fool Me Thrice Forum Resident

May be tough as that model is currently sold out on their site

Soundslave likes this.
  9. Robert Godridge

He had a few left when I contacted him that were slite seconds, just cosmetic marks.

Fool Me Thrice likes this.
  10. Krzych

Krzych The one who listens

Today I’ve installed the Acoustand sub platter on my ProJect Debut Carbon Esprit SB. The original sub platter was 119g, the Acoustand is 338g.

Here are the RPM app readings for the original and the upgrade. The readings for Acoustand were made after a few hours of spinning. For both I used Michell clamp.

[​IMG]

Fool Me Thrice and Soundslave like this.
  11. Robert Godridge

I'm totally blind but would love to know about the rpm readings, what are the differences?

12. Krzych

The upgrade provides better speed stability (lower wow and flutter), but the side effect is increased speed variance (which is still within specs' tolerance). To me it looks like the motor is tad too weak to carry the heavier sub platter. However I think that this upgrade makes audible difference - the turntable sounds better.

Soundslave likes this.
  13. Robert Godridge

Would that varience be audable? I haven't noticed any problems,
    I can still hear the motor a little bit on very quiet records or very quiet passages, mostly through headphones but very rarely through my speakers. I guess I was hoping for too much from this upgrade.

14. Krzych

The conventional wisdom is that as long as the change in speed is constant, the variance of 0.6% will not be audible. But that’s a very subjective thing and depends on your individual perception. I can not hear that the turntable is slower. It was running slow even before the upgrade, and the difference is not that big.

I didn’t have time for a critical listening with headphones, so I can’t tell you if there’s any improvement in motor noise level, but I wouldn’t expect miracles here. Usually I can hear the motor on runout grooves, when the cartridge is closer to the spindle.

15. brad1138

brad1138 Well-Known Member

I was all set to buy the replacement Sub Platter for my Debut untill I saw they changed from Aluminum to "Delrin", and went with a bearingless design... It looks cheaper, and Delrin is lighter than Aluminum, seems cheaper overall to me (especially not having any bearings anymore), so now I am disappointed and think I will hold off, at least until I can see some reviews of the new design.

16. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I replaced the platter on a Debut III with one that is heavier by 916 grams and the speed still shows to be accurate with a printed strobe. The additional 119 grams of the upgrade subplatter is probably not slowing the motor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.