"A Charlie Brown Christmas" CD remaster.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mattb, Oct 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Welcome to the Forum and enjoy your 88 CD until you get you 45's! :wave:

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Welcome to the forum Chris. Glad to have you here.

I think you made a wise choice. The AP vinyl is the real deal. You're going to love it even more than the '88 CD.

3. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

You'll love the vinyl.

I have to say I do like the bonus tracks and the "wrong" take of Linus and Lucy. It was nice of Concord to get that wrong and supply me with a 5th bonus track. Steves vinyl rules, but those 5 bonus tracks sit right beside them on my needle drop (boy shockingly different I have to say)...but the bonus tracks are worthy if you're an uber fan of this material imo. I've forever collected "demos" and other material by artists i love where the sonics usually suck and this is no different for me.

rbichamp likes this.
  4. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

I too got the new 2006 version with bonus tracks. I have yet to open it and will not based on this thread. I am returning it and ordering the older version. Amazon here in Canada does not have the 88 version listed BUT Mymusic.ca lists a 2000 version. That is the one I will be purchasing.
    Thanks for the great info.

5. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The same alternate take is on the new U.S. Postal Service compilation, A Very Special Charlie Brown Holiday Collection, available at a post office near you. Maybe not the closest one (my local one is too small to have it), but one not too far away.

Six songs from the Guaraldi remix/remaster are on this CD, and they sound like the trio is playing in a lecture hall with dead acoustics rather than in a recording studio. There are two new recordings by the David Benoit Trio, "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "Jingle Bells," that sound much more "alive" than the vintage stuff.

6. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Tim, that is a very good description of the sound of the current CD!

As an aside...while setting up for a Christmas party last night, the convention center had one of the Sirius satellite radio holiday channels on the overhead speakers. When "Christmas Time Is Here" was played, there was no doubt in my mind that it was the new remix/remaster. Even on the small overhead speakers, I could hear the difference (the cymbols and percussion are a dead giveaway...there is what sounds like a near complete treble roll off). The new remix sounds dead.

7. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Did anyone hear the 45 rpm vinyl yet?
    Any comment about the sound?

8. jeffrey r

jeffrey r Member

9. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

I was in Urban Outfitters yesterday and noticed yet another cover of the Charlie Brown Christmas album on CD. Different cover, but a 1988 Fantasy issue and tracklisting (12 tracks):

[​IMG]

10. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

What an unusual photo for the cover but cool, I can see the caption, "Can't you do anything right Charlie Brown?" Hee Hee :D
    Snoopy cracks me up.

11. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

12. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

This is the cover to the original hardcover book of A Charlie Browm Christmas. I still have it somewhere in my mother's attic.

13. Irwin Mainway

Irwin Mainway Senior Member

Lot's of great information here! Thanks everyone.

I wish I had a turntable. I'd spring for the new vinyl.

After listening to the 88 CD and the new one, I believe that track 9, Christmas Is Coming, is another alternate take! It is nearly the same time, but ever so slightly different. I'm sure of it!

So there are 6 new takes here.

Like most everyone, I like the original CD, but this new CD sure is interesting!

14. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I think what they need to do is to dig out the session tapes one more time and just do a definitive edition with all recorded takes and be done with it. No remixing.

Then, we can just argue about the mastering itself! :D

Joking aside, I am very serious.

15. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

16. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I was playing with a noise-reduction plug-in in my computer a few nights ago, and found it was very easy to get rid of that "room noise" and any other reverb, and make the recording sound "dead" by cranking the noise reduction way up. Not saying the new remix is this way, but it just sounds so "processed" to my ears, one can only wonder...

17. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

18. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

You're correct. It is definitely a different take. For obvious proof, listen to the section that begins around 1:10. It's completely different.
    I also agree. Now, when my Analogue Productions vinyl arrives, I'll have 4 different versions to enjoy!

rbichamp likes this.
  19. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Wow...some of those people are tougher on it than many of us!

For that guy who claimed that he was able to "hear" the upright bass for the first time thanks to this remix, what do you suppose he would say if he could hear the new Analogue Productions vinyl version? I'm guessing his head would explode. :)

20. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

:biglaugh: :laughup:

21. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

If Steve does the mastering, they'll be no argument. :righton:

Derek

22. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

I spent about an hour playing with a needledrop of Steve's 45rpm version to clean up the noticible hiss on those masters (for playback in my car, where that hiss is a more serious problem than in my living room). The best result I could get in a quick hour sounded worse than my clean up of the 1988 CD version. This makes me think that the new remix has to be a combination of EQ and NR to achieve the results they got. I did not do any re-EQ work in the hour I spend playing around with my NR tools. Maybe I'll invest another hour to see if I can better my first discouraging results...

Derek

23. Irwin Mainway

Irwin Mainway Senior Member

Are you sure it's hiss, not just the brush work on the drums?

24. SiriusB

SiriusB New Member

I think it useful to repost what 'izaboo' (who seems to have an inside track on the new remaster) wrote on this thread many pages earlier

Is it possible that by 'originals' , Izaboo means 'as heard on the TV broadcast' (plus some bits that were edited out), instead of meaning 'as heard on the LP/old CD version (plus some bits that were edited out)'? Or were the LP/CD and TV versions always the same takes up to this point?

25. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

Yes, it's hiss. Listen to it during the piano intros before the rest of the combo enters the piece.

Derek

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.