Record stores in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island & Connecticut!!

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by panicproject, Dec 28, 2017.

1. seave

seave Well-Known Member

Skele-Tone Records in Rochester, NH. Vast selection of used vinyl. Great selection of new vinyl also.
    They specialize in Punk, Metal and Classic Rock. Guaranteed you will see something of interest!
    Lots of stuff you won't see in every Record store! Worth a visit for sure!

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  2. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

My only issue with Skele-tone is that their pricing is all over the place. Some stuff is reasonably priced while other things are wayyyyyyy bonkers. But overall, tons of stuff to look through and well worth a visit (I'll be going Friday on my way to visit family).

3. seave

seave Well-Known Member

Typically the "over priced" stuff is vintage rare M- stuff that you may even have a hard time finding online. Typically...

uzn007 likes this.
  4. PB with J

PB with J Forum Resident

Right - agree with seave that the "over-priced" stuff is generally rare. I have purchased bunch of stuff from there - some of the bargain stuff as well as regular priced items. I visually scan the disks before purchase, but all my purchases have played well on my system.

5. seave

seave Well-Known Member

Totally forgot to report the SkeleTone Records is hosting their very first Record Store Day! Looking forward to it!

6. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Google brought up Joe's Albums, Jelly's, Union Music and EL Music in Worcester MA, any reviews for them? I'm primarily interested in digital but classical and jazz on vinyl is fine. Thanks.

7. Jelly's in Worcester was a fun place to visit, deep CD "catalog" of some artists, pretty good sized store, stuff I hadn't seen for sale in a store for a long time. Prices on the high side but it's great to be there, like shopping in a time capsule. They do carry new releases too.

-s1m0n-

hvbias and ARK like this.
  8. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I've got to big up whoever mentioned the Newbury Comics in Norwood. I finally visited there a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised by the depth of their inventory. Saw a number of items that I've been idly watching out for but hadn't seen anywhere else.

ARK and panicproject like this.
  9. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

Speaking of Newbury in Norwood- anyone ever sell their vinyl to them? I have a bunch of vinyl in excellent condition I was thinking of using Newbury since they seem to be in a convenient location for me.

10. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Take a walk through the store to get a sense of what your titles are selling for, and figure that you’ll get 20-25%.

uzn007 likes this.
  11. snowrs

snowrs Forum Resident

This just blew my mind, I graduated from Madison in 94, The Record connection was my conduit to music. Once a week I had guitar lessons at Down Home, then would head over and grab a new single or CD. It is awesome to hear they are still going strong!

krisjay and CaseyJames like this.
  12. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

yes I may have to take some time and take a ride down there to look around and ask them to get a feel for it.

13. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I’d be interested to hear more about these stores, too. The wife and I are planning a jaunt that will take us through Worcester in a few weeks.

14. strymeow

strymeow Forum Resident

I went to Joe's Albums for the first time a couple weeks ago. It's a nice place in a good location. Not a giant store but plenty to browse through and very well organized (except the dollar bins, but what can you do there). I was also struck by how clean the place was. Picked up a couple vintage Van Morrison albums--Period of Transition and Beautiful Vision (that one sealed!) for 30 bucks.

From what I saw things were reasonably priced. Lots of new albums mixed in with old. Some good stuff in the jazz and classical sections, and a big batch of MFSL Miles Davis. I went in looking for Morrison, so I didn't browse all that much. A small CD rack, FYI. For vinyl folks, definitely worth a visit. I intend to go back.

Haven't been to any of the other stores yet. We're brand new to the area.

uzn007 likes this.
  15. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

FYI, I was at the Bull Moose store in Scarborough, Maine today and was very happy to stumble upon a boxed set sale there. Many older boxes are marked down with 25% or 50% discounts. I picked up the Super Deluxe of Bob Dylan’s Cutting Edge set for $55. Among the other stuff I saw there was the Super Deluxe of The Verve’s Urban Hymns set for $31 and there were plenty of other goodies there too.

FWIW, I also picked up a sealed copy of the 2 CD set of the Congos Fisherman Versions for $8 which had an Other Music price sticker of $18. Kinda makes me wonder if they have some of the older inventory from that great and lamented NYC music store. If you were a fan of their style of curation, you might enjoy checking it out.

uzn007 and CaseyJames like this.
  16. Go back through posts for my quick Jelly's Records review, from last year.

-s1m0n-

17. Stopped at Mystery Train Records in Gloucester MA this past week. Only had about 40 mins and barely scratched the surface. Mostly LPs but it's a big space so they do also have a lot of CDs inc a shelf by the front door of free discs (limit 5) - thought that was pretty cool (think, free jewel cases at the very least). Oh and I got some first run Original Jazz Classics CDs so I was happy - just wish I had an afternoon to kill there

-s1m0n-

Maurice and uzn007 like this.
  18. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

thanks for that. considering I do not buy CDs, is the store worth it for vinyl?

19. They definitely had vinyl but I was focused on CDs at the time so can't recall what their stock was like. FYI the comic book store next door also has vinyl - if you get to Jelly's.

-s1m0n-

20. audiolab1

audiolab1 Forum Resident

Any updates for Vermont since this thread was started? I'm going to be in the Stowe and Burlington areas for a week and would love any recent recommendations and any non-record-store leads such as thrift shops, flea markets, antique malls, etc. Thank you!

21. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I didn't know Mystery Train was still around. I used to be a regular in their Boston and Cambridge shops in the 80s and 90s.

Maurice and SimonSaysCake like this.
  22. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

I'm going to be in Montpelier and Burlington next weekend. Nothing to see, move along :whistle:

In all seriousness, I know Burlington has a few spots. Autumn Records and Burlington Records I can give my highest recommendation. Pure Pop and Speaking Volumes, I haven't visited yet. Leave some stuff for meeee.

audiolab1 and uzn007 like this.
  23. putney_swope

putney_swope Forum Resident

Speaking Volumes moved to a different location recently (looks like the record and book stores split to separate buildings). Compared to the last time I was there a few years ago, it is a much better store now.

audiolab1 likes this.
  24. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

For 45's Olympic on the East Side of Providence, RI, and Sunset Records in Somerset, MA, are both very worthy of visits - large selection at both stores which are not far from each other > both locales are just off I 195 > Somerset is about 20 minutes or so from Providence. Both stores have very fair pricing, and the 45's are organized much better than many places.

uzn007 likes this.
  25. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Mystery Train is an eight-hour minimum if you're interested in more than one or two genres or eras. I have literally had them hold a pile for me so I could go eat something and then come back for a few more hours.

Maurice and uzn007 like this.