Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

2. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Primephonic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"The trios owe their style more to the first part of the nineteenth century, rather than when they were written. That said, they don’t strike me as outmoded, just not overladen with Romantic angst. If I was to cite Beethoven, Schubert and Mendelssohn as style guides, that shouldn’t hide the fact that Mayer definitely has her own voice. She also has the gift of melody, which raises her above the throng of many forgotten composers."

MEYER - Piano Trios CPO 555029-2 [DJB] Classical Music Reviews: July 2017 - MusicWeb-International

Wes H and Eigenvector like this.
  3. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

In my heavy rotation the last couple of weeks, a live recital of Backhaus from 1966, including an exceptional BWV 893 in B Minor and honestly the best performances of Mozart's piano sonatas I've ever heard. Also nearly finished the Melodiya Rachmaninoff Collection, another very fine box from Melodiya. As well as Kempff's final complete Beethoven cycle recorded live and some of his transcriptions of JS Bach as encores.

What I posted from the classical mega box thread about this CD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ToddBD, crispi, ibanez_ax and 2 others like this.
  4. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Recorded 6/2-4/97, Snape Maltings Concert Hall, Suffolk, England. Producer: Steven Epstein. Engineer: Charles Harbutt.

cdgenarian and ibanez_ax like this.
  5. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Number nine .
    [​IMG]

ToddBD, vanhooserd and ibanez_ax like this.
  6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD1 from the following box, a recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

samsondale and Mr Bass like this.
  7. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I have about 80% of all the Vocal music that Mozart wrote but I mainly listen to the late Piano Concertos and Serenades and Divertimentos particularly with wind instruments for instrumental. One must remember that few composers composed great instrumental music before 30 even Beethoven (I'm leaving out solo piano). As far as I know Korngold was the only child prodigy with an exceptional grasp of the instrumental music of his day. However if there wasn't Haydn I would listen to Mozart's chamber music more. I do feel that often Mozart's instrumental works are played less well than the vocal music.

NYMets41 and Wugged like this.
  8. coopmv

IIRC, Don Giovanni and Magic Flute are the only two Mozart operas in my collection and they are on LP. I think I have most if not all Mozart choral works ...

NYMets41 likes this.
  9. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I received this set in the mail today and started with No.5. My original set fell victim to the great LP purge in the 90s. I've enjoyed it on CD and SACD, but the LPs have an organic quality that digital just can't match. A resplendent performance.

[​IMG]

Eigenvector, ToddBD and Mr Bass like this.
  10. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

I have Magic Flute (Bohm, Fischer-Dieskau, Wunderlich) and Die Entfuehrung aus dem Serail (erm....... Bohm and Wunderlich again :)). :D

Not bad for a non-fanboy :D

Eigenvector and Mr Bass like this.
  11. coopmv

Now playing CD13 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vanhooserd likes this.
  12. coopmv

I have 6 Mahler cycles but I am no fanboy of Mahler, only a serious classical music collector ... :agree:

13. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Hah ! LOL :D
    Maybe acupuncture can help ?

14. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

So...you collect music you don’t really like? Just to have it?

Not being snarky, I’m honestly curious...

Marzz likes this.
  15. coopmv

I do slowly grow into the music over time. I have significantly warmed up to Bruckner Symphonies over the past half-dozen years and now have at least 8 Bruckner Symphonies cycles ...

Over 3 decades ago, Mahler and Bruckner recordings were no-touch for me.

NYMets41 likes this.
  16. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I asked the same question a while back. The answer was deflected towards Berg, Schoenberg, etc.

17. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Primephonic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Eigenvector and Wes H like this.
  18. coopmv

Add Bartok to the list. I think Berg, Schoenberg and Bartok are perpetual no-touch for me ...

19. HiResGeek

Fair enough. I asked because I do enjoy Mahler quite a bit, and I probably only have 2 or 3 more complete cycles than you!

20. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

My point is, at the time you never addressed why you collect Mahler. You did sort of answer @HiResGeek.

I'm not being critical of how you spend your money, it just baffles me.

21. coopmv

Mahler is no Beethoven and I do have some 30 Beethoven Symphonies cycles ...

22. HiResGeek

Mahler is no Beethoven, I agree. But then, who is? (I probably have somewhere around that many LvB cycles as well.)

23. HiResGeek

It’s weird for me to see Bartok lumped together with Berg, Schoenberg and the generally unlistenable (IMO) serialists. He’s far more listenable, his later works in particular are quite tonal. I’ve listened to his music so much at this point it almost sounds like Haydn to me :D

I used to avoid his music, but I had an “aha” moment with his Concerto for Orchestra played by Kubelik/BSO, and then with his piano concertos played by Anda with Fricsay conducting. Now I’d rank him at or very near the top in terms of my favorite 20th century composers.

I’m with you on Schoenberg, Berg, Webern and the like, though. The 12-tone stuff does nothing for me.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I like Bartók's orchestral music and his piano concertos very much. Especially the Concerto for Orchestra and the Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta are pieces I keep returning to. I don't know his chamber music and solo piano works very well, even though I have four complete string quartets sets and Zoltán Kocsis' complete solo piano set; I should do something about that.

Byrdsmaniac, crispi and vanhooserd like this.
  25. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Bartok has grown on me over the years. Fortunately for my bank account, I haven't had to spend hundreds of dollars on his music for that to happen.