2019 Beatles UK Singles boxed set (Was: "Beatles Mystery Boxed Set")*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monasmee, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The same person who approved that ultra-scratchy version of the "Penny Lane" promo mix on the Pepper box was in charge of picking the sleeves for this singles box... ;)

2. Calico

Calico Senior Member

It reminds me that in the 70s, an ex-Beatle new single was often only available in my country (Belgium) at first in a not too nice looking locally made picture sleeve which I sometimes hated, but I had to buy that record anyway if I wanted to hear the songs on it. Only later the same single became available, either with a nice sleeve or with just a generic sleeve, as a UK or US import, which means that I bought most of my singles twice.
    Now whenever I find these local 70s sleeves at garage sales or flea markets, I can sell them very quickly and sometimes for a good price on eBay!

But then I don't complain, because here is also a good place to find goodies such as the Beatles' very rare UK export singles on Parlophone ("If I Fell", "Yesterday" and "Drive My Car"...) or the first print of the UK "Revolver" with the alternate "Tomorrow Never Knows" mix, which must have been heavily imported at the time.

3. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

So when's The Beatles 78 rpm collection coming out?........lol!

Cookie! likes this.
  4. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

The same person will supervise the "needle drop" mastering for this set. Nicely complimenting these eye catching picture sleeves.

5. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Billy Budapest likes this.
  6. Cachiva

Cachiva Forum Resident

It's the amateurish, cheap, tacky look that absolutely reeks
    of 1960's cachet! I'm in, and suspect the steady cascade of
    responses to this thread reveals Apple's savvy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Umpteen!

...and, Yugoslavia!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lost In The Flood and DRM like this.
  7. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

It's all a gag. Soon enough, the leaker will say that he never actually said that these would be the released sleeves. That people just made assumptions and got all twisted up for no good reason. Leaker 1. Fooled posters 0.

Or maybe not.

Apple could pivot if nimble enough, anyway.

These may have have nostalgic value to many in certain countries. Like the Capitol swirl has for me when I played I Saw Her Standing There over and over as a child. A nostalgic value that we cannot fully understand. Just like the detractors of Capitol Beatles can never understand the fans of Capitol Beatles. And cannot fathom why Volume III means so much to some people.

Apple may be targeting fans in a broader way internationally. For good reasons. Even if it turns off some.

Or it's a big put on and gag.

Lewisboogie and Shawn like this.
  8. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Nailed it.

Cachiva likes this.
  9. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I love Yugoslavian Beatles cassettes. Reportedly they received master tapes straight from the U.K.

Cachiva and Man at C&A like this.
  10. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

11. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

richierichie and mrjinks like this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Interesting. Yesterday and Drive My Car are very scarce in the UK. I've never seen either. I have If I Fell and see it occasionally. I've never thought of looking where these records were exported too, but I can't see it making a big difference in price.

Calico likes this.
  13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Man, can they just announce this damn box and get it over with.

14. But.... but.... insiders.....

DRM likes this.
  15. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Good question. VJ went bankrupt, someone bought the rights to their catalog along with the artwork for each release, but being that the Beatles material was surrendered in 1964, there would be little reason to renew any copyright on the artwork, but maybe it was.

16. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

I sorta answered this a while back regarding the Tollie picture sleeve of "Love Me Do," and instead of just copying exactly what I wrote there, I'll just reiterate sorta. I did some research a while back, and I found out that the stuff once distributed by Vee Jay is now distributed by Concord which is distributed by UMG, which also distributes all the Beatles' stuff now so I don't think the issue of being on a different label isn't a worry anymore, especially in terms of artwork, since it's all under the same umbrella so to speak, so I doubt any of that really matters anymore. I would assume the copyrights for the artwork would've been transitioned to the Beatles (as an entity, not just the four of them as people, the 'franchise' so to speak, for lack of better terminology) around the same time their rights shifted and their work was re-distributed. I've since seen Vee Jay artwork in official Beatles material since like booklets, merch, etc., so I would assume that's the case.

Shawn and MerseyBeatle like this.
  17. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

And the Tollie LMD sleeve was reproduced on the poster that came with the 1 LP. That same poster also used the Swan SLY sleeve. Do you know if Swan is also under UMG?

Colinjpush likes this.
  18. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

They might not even officially announce this singles box until after the Abbey Road deluxe box is released in late September.

19. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I agree. There's probably more potential buyers of this set out there that don't even know these original dodgy looking 60's foreign picture sleeves exist.

Newly produced "period correct" sleeves using the best photo sources at the highest quality possible would be far more appealing to most buyers.

I really wish they would have used the same approach to detail and quality that was used on the mono vinyl LP box. It would have made the perfect singles companion set. That said......I hope this new Beatles singles set sounds a lot better than what it apparently will look like.

20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yeah, I’m sure you’re right.

21. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I’m guessing it will be announced in October for November or possibly early December release like the Xmas box was

saborlord123 likes this.
  22. saborlord123

saborlord123 "I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy."

Perhaps October 2nd, like November 2nd for the Christmas Records, which was released on Decmeber 15, and this one is going to be released on November 15, so...

joeislive likes this.
  23. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

While Apple is updating sleeves that may hold sentimental value in various countries, if they really ARE going to use international sleeves, they might as well change the generic name of Beatles For Sale. Unless that was a well thought out title for their rushed Christmas offering. Maybe update their weary worn out faces with something more upbeat for the cover.

Beatles for Sale - Wikipedia

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  24. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Remember when people thought the Christmas Records might come out on CD the following year?
    I recall some having that hope.

25. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I was one of those wide eyed optimistic people. God, I was so young then.
    Still shocked there hasn’t been a cd or rerelease of the vinyl. Between the Xmas and mono set, Apple seems to really mean it when they say limited edition these days!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.