Elton John new 2018 remasters shm.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by swintonlion, Apr 11, 2018.

1. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

Well I hope the backorders come through. At first when I initially ordered the bulk of the set I didn't order the S/T or tumbleweed since they aren't my favorites from his collection.
    Now after listening to what was delivered I definitely want to complete the set. probably should have just done it initiallyI guess:shrug:

2. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

If ImportCDs cant fill my order and i miss out elsewhere for them, i guess ill save my money for now. Im sure once theyre completely gone there will be a cheaper jewel case reissue. Wont get the fancy packaging but at least ill save more money and get the same sound

3. I don't think it's Universal Japan - this is more about American retailers understocking a new Japanese import that happens to be hot because they feature new remasters. Has been happening for a while now. Retailers don't like carrying excess CD inventory these days and Alliance (the distributor in this case supplying all the Amazon outlets and ImportCDs) underestimated demand.

Will be interesting to see if these really get restocked.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  4. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Having watched other artists catalogues over the years and especially the fondness for UICY-7**** series, they often don't get a jewel case release, so I would be wary.

For example, I missed the Roxy Music "For Your Pleasure" version on release and now the prices are stratospheric.

5. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It’s true some releases only get one pressing. The Bryan Ferry SACDs only got one MLPS edition. As far as I know there was no follow up, cheaper, jewel case option.

The only consolation I can offer is that the last series of Elton MLPS SHMs were reissued a few times over the years. Although this doesn’t mean it will happen with the 2019 versions.

Though this time they have gone to the trouble of remastering the Elton CDs so you’d think they’d want to milk that.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Jarleboy and Oyster Boy like this.
  6. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

With as big a name as Elton John is, the movie that just came out, and hes on his final word tour; id think they milk every chance they could to get more money out of this than a 1 off pressing that sells out in a month. Especially considering how long it took to get these out

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. I agree with both of you.

It would be insane to limit this run to small numbers.

supermd, Oyster Boy and patient_ot like this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

Yes, this is the first time these albums have been remastered (in some cases) in over 20 years.

I’d imagine there’d be a lot of interest.

Though of course the first run is always more collectible.:D

Jarleboy and Oyster Boy like this.
  9. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Find it incredible that after the movie, HMV has Elton stuff on stands and its the 96s. Anyone else would've cashed in and stuck new versions out, especially as the vinyl was all remasttered and put out. Still, its cheap being an Elton fan unless you know about and love Japanese CDs.

c-eling and Bobby Morrow like this.
  10. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

received this from ImportCDS. I asked then when they expect to get them-if at all:
    Thank you for contacting ImportCDs!

Hello
    The items are on back order,
    A time frame on when the items will become available is not provided at this point in time.
    As soon as the items becomes available we will ship it to you.
    Again, thank you for writing ImportCDs. We appreciate your business.

wondering if I should just cancel and get from japan. cost is up but guarantee to get it.

jhm likes this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

It’s true. And as far as I know, most of Elton’s albums are still in print so they aren’t hard to find.

Those 1995 remasters seemed like the height of luxury when they were first released.:D

Jayseph and Oyster Boy like this.
  12. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

My quandry exactly.

13. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

call me impatient or just not sure about a site I have no experience with, but I did request a cancellation.
    I'm not much of a gambler....

jhm likes this.
  14. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

I ordered both GH albums on 8/7. Received tracking that they would be delivered on Tuesday 8/20. Just received them today.

15. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

The information I have got from reading through this thread is that these new mini sleeve cds are definitely a new mastering so that is good. I have earlier Japanese mini card sleeves by Elton plus numerous other acts and the standard of artwork is always spectacular. With the drop in the £ these are expensive but I guess I can't blame Elton for that. I have a bunch on order and they will be here in a few days. I probably will not get the hits sets or the debut to start with. Certainly Elton cannot be accused of redoing his catalogue the way most of us change our clothes. No mainstream remasters save I guess GBYBR since 1995/6.
    Were the deluxe albums done by Universal a new master for the main album or just the 95 again?

supermd and Oyster Boy like this.
  16. Oyster Boy

Well this is Tumbleweed, the DR suggests its the same as the 95/96
    Album list - Dynamic Range Database

Flaming Torch likes this.
  17. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Can't see an entry in the DR Database for the 2019 release. Are you saying it's the same as the 95/96 version?

Thanks for quoting the DR figures. Much as it's good to hear other folks' subjective views, as we all hear things slightly differently I appreciate the DR figures.

ispace likes this.
  18. I think he's saying the "deluxe 2-CD" version from 2004 has the same DR numbers as the '95.

There is no entry for the 2018/19 version yet.

Musicisthebest and Oyster Boy like this.
  19. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Captain Fantastic...I have:
    A Japanese DJM
    The 2-disc deluxe
    The 5.1
    ...I am trying real hard to justify this...

fredblue likes this.
  20. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I agree. I mean...I listen in surround a lot and honestly, can anything sound substantially better than that?
    So maybe I’ll get DSMIOTPP, Caribou and Blue Moves. The rest sound amazing already. Maybe Rock of the Westies...would some kind soul compare that to the AF?

fredblue likes this.
  21. Oyster Boy

There aren't any yet for the 2019. The DR suggests to me that the Universal deluxe uses the 95.

Musicisthebest and Flaming Torch like this.
  22. PeteH

PeteH Shoes for Industry!

I'm still hoping someone will compare these to the MFSLs, DJMs or MCAs, or give us some DR numbers. I'm sure that the packaging will be second to none, but I can't justify the high cost of buying these again unless the sound quality is at least close to previous issues.

ispace, fredblue, sonnyrock and 4 others like this.
  23. Consensus is the new SHM’s sound terrific. Some, including myself, have said they’re probably as close to definitive as redbook is going to get. Are you waiting for the (often misleading) DR numbers to show your eyes what others ears can’t?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I may have to get these!

mikaal and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  25. PeteH

PeteH Shoes for Industry!

No, I just know from experience that "sound terrific" often isn't enough. There are people who think the 1995 remasters sound terrific. I don't happen to agree. I'd just like a comparison to a version that I know, and that I know sounds good. I have all of the MFSLs, all of the German DJMs, and all of the Japan for US MCAs. They all sound great. I don't really need another set of these, but if the SHMs are as good (or even close) I would probably buy them for the superior packaging. DR numbers never tell the whole story, but they can help spot the clunkers.

Paul H, ispace, supermd and 7 others like this.