Parting with CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam9, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I hope they're giving more than 5p a disc now, because even with 200 you'd only make £10. Personally, If I'm left with things I cannot reasonably sell anywhere, I prefer to donate them to charity. The money they'll make from those 200 CDs would be a lot more than MusicMagpie would give me.

EG.

2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

$30-40?! I routinely see every U2 CD in the $1 bins at HPB.

3. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

True confession: I have absolutely no concern for the music industry or for "supporting" recording artists. Not interested in being a "good consumer".

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It's not inevitable that all music will be streamed. Just as a lot of music never made it to CD or download, a lot of music will never make it to streaming.

Is he still arguing about this schitt?:rolleyes:

tmtomh, Andrew Smith and eddiel like this.
  5. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

Yesterday I gave these away to a friend....

Aqualung - Jethro Tull
    ITCOTCK 30th - King Crimson
    Camembert Electric- Gong
    Ship Arriving Too Late - FZ
    You Are What You Is - FZ
    Burnt Weeny Sandwich - FZ
    Going For The One - Yes
    (ooh, and Axis : Bold as Love - Jimi Henrix on LP)

...all had been replaced with better versions over time.

tmtomh likes this.
  6. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I think he meant he could have picked up the lot for that price.

tmtomh likes this.
  7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

That's true but I've seen all of their CD's, at one time or another, in the $1 bins also. So that's $16 / tax for all the studio albums + UABRS and WAIA.

Maybe the last two studio albums are harder to find for a buck.

8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Unfortunately yes.

9. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

There should be a law that CD's can only be sold new and at a fixed price of 19.99. When a person is done with a CD it should be brought be burned at a proper facility. All items should follow this pattern. No used items are allowed.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  10. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Actually, I wouldn’t assume the abundance of used CDs at Half-Price Books and various music stores tells the whole story, ...or even the right one.

The ways people buy, sell and trade older media have changed a lot over the years. Also, there is a lot of music out there which isn’t as popular/interesting to new music buyers much less older collectors. If you want to get a snapshot of where CD markets are headed, look online and at music concerts.

Discogs and eBay sales are thriving in the collector markets for those titles in demand. In some cases rare, in demand CDs are skyrocketing. CDs of popular music is probably still snagging a fair share of the market through Amazon vendors as well.

The only stores whose margins have been sliding on CD sales are big package brick and mortar stores like Walmart and Best Buy, but CD sales are the least of their business worries. Specialty music stores and discount book stores like those you mentioned are easy places for folks to sell CDs at pennies on the dollar so you probably are going to see bins full of unsold CDs, but I bet a cross section of titles reflect a lot of replications, music commonly sold, but rarely repurchased.

:cheers:
    Cat

11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I think we found Garth Brooks' forum handle

Lost In The Flood, zphage and Grant like this.
  12. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Some things are important to me. Sound quality. Variable dynamics. Defending cassettes, stereo Beatles products, and The Beatles via Capitol Records when people go out of their way to defame them. I guess we all have our pet peeves and pet projects.

If I could only understand why it is the mission and passion of some to go out of their way to promote streaming and put down physical formats to the point of predicting and almost wishing for their extinction.

tmtomh and no.nine like this.
  13. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I believe only one person is doing that here. Define "some" please.

Meanwhile I've seen a number of posters (here and in other threads) with the streaming pitchforks out. Double standard much?

Witchy Woman and schnitzerphilip like this.
  14. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing.

15. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Thanks for not answering. Your silence only strengthens my comment.

16. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Ah, gotcha. It's been a while since I've had a good listening party myself.

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I got six for 50p each yesterday. I left a few aswell.

Eric_Generic and Spencer R like this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

nice gesture!

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

there's always going to be a balance...on this forum though the scales may tip to physical media! LOL...

20. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

"My used CD's may be bad for the artists because I'm not compensating them but blame the person who sold that CD to the used CD store! Go after them!"

"I download songs from YouTube which is bad for the artists because I'm not compensating them but blame the person who uploaded the material in the first place! Go after them!"

Accountability much?

Witchy Woman likes this.
  21. schnitzerphilip

You will be streaming in the next year or two. You will have no choice.

22. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I wasn’t even looking in the one dollar bins, moreso looking in the $3 to $5 bins with the “desirable” used CDs. But spending a day shopping for used CDs (and records) in Atlanta was overwhelming. I saw tons of used CD copies of pretty much every title from the Dylan Bootleg Series, which surprised me, because I would assume anyone who likes Dylan enough to buy 2-CD sets of his outtakes or live shows wouldn’t just dump those titles.

23. schnitzerphilip

What I'm saying is that there is a decades-long pre-planned natural selection going on in the music industry where the millions of wannabe's are put through dozens of filters and gates and only make it onto the public's radar when they have run the gauntlet that separates the cruise ship singer from the next Billy Joel.

So when I'm asked to weep because some band in a Wisconsin basement is only making $0.0032 cents per stream I don't care. They're not actually "artists". They're just a bunch of unemployed guys in a basement.

24. schnitzerphilip

I don't like or support live performances. Concerts lost their luster when I turned 25. The Beatles were never better than when they were in the studio producing a great album like Revolver or Abbey Road.

25. schnitzerphilip

Do a little introspection and find out how little the populous cares about people who call themselves "artists" who actually aren't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.