Biggest Band Drop-off After One Quits/Fired

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Aug 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Songs

2. Voice and attitude. Michael says Bill has the best voice in the band.
    Peter and Bill liked to rock, after he left R.E.M. became quiet, somber and boring to me anyway. In 2007 they recorded the John Lennon song with Bill, and played some Georgia Awards show with him. I believe that invigorated the band to record Accelerate, which is the most rocking record they made in years.

3. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Now I want to listen to both albums and compare.

4. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

The Final Cut is excellent if you listen with the right frame of mind. Theres a lot of humor there. Sick, twisted humor.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  5. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Gotta bring the Russian bear to his knees.... Maybe not the Russian bear, maybe the Swedes" (I thought it was funny how quickly he changed course)

I haven't heard the album in a while, what are your favorite moments of humor?

6. Sunburst Finish

Sunburst Finish Forum Resident

7. BITBANGER

BITBANGER Senior Member

Supreems

8. Sunburst Finish

The post above should have read -

"Mott the Hoople" becoming "Mott" after Ian Hunter left and eventually becoming "Ariel Bender's Mott the Hoople" after everyone else who had ever actually been in the band left...

9. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

All of Fletchers, NNJ, parts of Post War Dream. Its all pretty dire really, its more somber than anything else but I think a lot of people really have the wrong idea about it. Its great for putting the cans on and really getting immersed.

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  10. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yes, but unfortunately, there is not enough melody to go with it.

11. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

REM was the first one I thought of.

12. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

The threads in the last couple of days have just aligned in such a spooky way! I just have to do this: Wilco and Jay Bennett!

13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Status Quo when their original drummer, John Coghlan left. The groove and feel was never quite right since, though they still had their moments and were great live.

Fast Eddie from Motorhead. The three piece line up is one of the greatest and almost certainly the loudest rock 'n' roll bands ever.

Cliff Burton - Metallica. A steep decline and a pure embarrassment since the mid 90s, but the first few albums are metal classics.

Graham Coxon - Blur. One mediocre album then they split for ten years.

Mick Jones - The Clash. They went on to release Cut The Crap, which didn't, while Mick went on to the excellent and inventive Big Audio Dynamite.

Queen without Freddie.

mbd40 likes this.
  14. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

I agree that they lost something once the girl/boy dual vocals were gone. But we did get a treasure trove of wonderful post Fairport Matthews albums out of the deal.

bekayne likes this.
  15. erikdavid5000

Spinal Tap after Mick Shrimpton exploded

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Invalid choice: he neither quit nor was fired! :D

17. erikdavid5000

And I’m also forgetting that he was somehow back for Break Like The Wind!!!

Oatsdad likes this.
  18. erikdavid5000

Mick Taylor’s on that album.

19. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Dr. Feelgood after the departure of Wilko Johnson.
    The Monkees after Peter Tork quit in 1968.
    The Crickets after Buddy Holly left in 1958.

20. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Ariel Bender left before Ian Hunter; he was replaced by Mick Ronson.

John Fell likes this.
  21. Sunburst Finish

The chronology runs from beginning to end and thus you've misunderstood the intent of the statement -

"In the 1990s, Grosvenor returned in a Spooky Tooth reunion. In 2005, he revived his pseudonym, forming the Ariel Bender Band. In 2007 and 2008 he performed under the name Ariel Bender's Mott The Hoople performing both Spooky Tooth and Mott The Hoople songs, as well as cover songs. "

Luther Grosvenor - Wikipedia

22. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Mott eventually became British Lions. That's where it ended.

23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Funny, I thought they got better. I loved Antiphon, but, admittedly, one album against three is a small sample size.

I know a few of the guys. :ignore:

24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

What is? The Final Cut?

I disagree. I think, in some ways, it's better than The Wall.

That said, threads like these are kind of stupid. It's really all just opinion. Hence, why they go everywhere and nowhere at the same time.

erikdavid5000 and tkl7 like this.
  25. Sunburst Finish

The
    British Lions were a short-lived British rock band, together from 1977 to 1980, with former members of Mott and Medicine Head. They released just two studio albums with little commercial success in the UK.

British Lions (band) - Wikipedia

In the 1990s, Grosvenor returned in a Spooky Tooth reunion. In 2005, he revived his pseudonym, forming the Ariel Bender Band. In 2007 and 2008 he performed under the name Ariel Bender's Mott The Hoople performing both Spooky Tooth and Mott The Hoople songs, as well as cover songs.

Technically it hasn't "ended" as "Mott the Hoople" were resurrected in 2009, 2013, 2018, and January 2019. The band are due to tour the USA in October/November 2019, performing 11 shows.

The OP is "Biggest Band Drop-off After One Quits/Fired" and so the point of the post was the drop off after Ian Hunter left and the eventual ultimate nadir of a band touring as "Ariel Bender's Mott the Hoople" after the departure of virtually every other Mott the Hoople alumnus whilst being fronted by a member whose two year stint (1973 to 1974) was somewhat less than overwhelming if not fairly uninspired and clearly derivative and thus consequently will never be mistaken for either Mick Ralphs or Mick Ronson.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.