Elton John new 2018 remasters shm.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by swintonlion, Apr 11, 2018.

1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Actually as stated previously in this thread. DR number's can provide some good information.
    Have you heard or compared these to the old Japan For US discs? Trusting Bobby's ears and his take on these, of course these new one's are going to trump the 95's and even the God-awful 2014 Brick Road.
    So I'd say anyone who doesn't have any of the early 'flat masters' :winkgrin: go for these :righton:

2. No, I haven’t heard the old Japanese discs, I’m of the mind that old A to D mastering/conversation technology has vastly improved in the 35 years since the first CD’s (including old Japan for US) and what you’re describing as ‘old flat transfers’. Therefore I’m keen on the new SHM’s - all things considered IMHO they sound much better because of the utilization of current mastering technology along with the source tape used to master these. :tiphat:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  3. Understood and I’m in the camp that thought the 95 Rocket Remasters were an improvement from the 1980’s discs, so you’re probably wise to wait for others to chime in, although so far most have been very positive, or wait for your DR numbers. :agree:

Mooserfan likes this.
  4. c-eling

Tough to say on the converter aspect. Might be some truth, but some I've heard with new technology have been pretty sterile. Almost too much resolution, where they sucked the soul out of them :laugh:

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

ok, who has these?

OE3 and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  6. Perhaps but the majority of the time the Japanese do a fine job, there are exceptions but the flat transfer SHM, SHM Platinum and SHM SACD’s do, for the most part, sound spectacular vs previous iteration of same title. That is certainly the case with the 13 EJ titles. The point of my reply to the OP is that it seems to be the consensus that these all sound sweet but as soon as the DR numbers go up, that’s another story. Lol.

PhantomStranger and c-eling like this.
  7. I have the whole lot and posted a review up thread. I’ve since listed to the rest and I think they all sound great, dare I say definitive.

8. c-eling

That 38 Special SHM 'flat' title I posted earlier sound's identical to my old 86. Converters offered no benefit.
    Same goes for the flats of The Human League SHM's. I'm thinking the DR's will be a close match to the oldies (which is a good thing)
    Blue Moves, being a whole now will probably be my only purchase :)

9. Michael

Thanks!

10. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Respectfully, if you haven't heard the Japan for US discs, how can you conclude that these new remasters are "definitive"?

11. Good question. It would be impossible to listen to every EJ mastering from around the world. I’m basing it on the old 80’s discs which I jettisoned. The 95 rockets, all deluxe editions and the 4 MFSL’s - all of which I’ve kept. I also have all of the SACD’s and the one or two SHM-SACD’s, but for this discussion I’m comparing all of the heretofore listed redbook discs to the new SHM’s. My conclusion is based on that.

supermd, Carlox, Tom Campbell and 2 others like this.
  12. Interesting. Not to derail, but as I’ve never had any 38 special in my collection, I recently bough the 38 special ‘millennial best of collection’ and BGO two-fer ‘Wild Eyed Southern Boys’/‘Special Forces’. Really happy with these.
    Love the three Van Zandt brothers. Talk about talent in one immediate family tree. Wow!
    We now return you to our regularly scheduled Elton John SHM program already in progress . . .:tiphat:

13. :righton:

14. Michael

: )

15. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Not sure if the MCA Blue Moves I picked up recently is a Japan for US, but the sound is fantastic to my ears and has made the dilemma of getting the new version worse if anything. If only it had Cage the Songbird on instead of Out of the Blue. Heck, if I don't end up getting these, I will get an old Rocket to get that track. To think I had been happy with the 96 all these years:)

ted209, Shvartze Shabbos and c-eling like this.
  16. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

The new SHM of Tumbleweed Connection really shows off the musicianship of the band. Dee Murray's bass playing comes through very nicely along with Caleb Quaye's guitar work throughout with some beautiful arrangements by Paul Buckmaster.
    Particularly "Son of Your Father" and "My Father's Gun" are two highlights that are very well done. Outside of the lead guitar solo and cowbell on "Ballad of a Well Known Gun" the instruments are not outdoing each other or pushed back on the entire album.
    The vocals on the quieter two songs (my opinion) "Love Song" and "Come Down in Time" are extremely nice with more beautiful arrangements.
    "Burn Down the Mission" to end the album had me wishing for more songs to come. All involved on this album did a great job.
    I've liked all I've listened to so far in this series with "Captain Fantastic" and "Tumbleweed Connection" being my favourites to date.

CBackley, Carlox, Oyster Boy and 4 others like this.
  17. Did you compare this to the Mofo?

18. These surpass vs the MFSL, at least to my ears. And that’s saying something as the four MFSL sound excellent indeed.

Oyster Boy, Bemagnus and wayneklein like this.
  19. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Randomly I've just checked my Amazon UK order of "Don't Shoot Me..."

Having ordered it last Thursday on 1 to 2 months availability, it's due for delivery either today or tomorrow.

The problem is I'm away from home for the next couple of weeks!

C'est la vie.

20. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Wonder if they’ve got them all now?

They’re still showing as 1-2 months delivery as I write, but I’ll keep an eye on them.

21. Bobby Morrow

It’s MFSL. Mofo is something else altogether.:D

22. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Mine are in the post somewhere between Japan and the UK! I forgot about ordering them earlier due to Woodstock box set syndrome. I went through all my Elton cds last night while playing the remix cd the Superior Sound of Elton John. A right old hodge podge and mix of the good the bad and the ugly - my Elton cds not the superior sound which is simply odd/bizarre even. Going to need to keep some just for the bonus tracks which is always annoying.
    Anyone have a list of which of the albums up to Blue Moves had an MFSL or DCC release? I have a few Mobile Fidelity titles - Madman, GBYBR and a couple of others I think.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Oyster Boy likes this.
  23. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

MFSL, the two you mention plus Honky Chateau and Tumbleweed. The only DCC I know of is Greatest Hits, plus theres an Audio Fidelity for ROTW.

24. Bobby Morrow

I’ve been playing Caribou (properly) for the first time today. It sounds great. For all those people worrying about DR numbers, I want to say please don’t. This album is no louder than the DJM disc from the 80s. It sounds like a more refined version of that. Except the channels aren’t reversed on the SHM.:)

Has @fredblue received his package (oo-er!) yet? Like so many, I can’t wait for the ‘Blue View’:)

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Do you mean the MCA CDs? I wouldn't expect that those would be any different than the discs made in the US, and presumably most come from US copy tapes, for better or worse.