Monty Python's 50th anniversary plans

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Raf, Jun 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

But is it suitably silly?

2. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

One of the releases has suitably annoying menus. Can’t recall which, though.

All Down The Line likes this.
  3. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

It could be a lot sillier. And also edited down to about 20 minutes of good content.

Don't know why you'd want to watch a costume-thing.

cloggedmind likes this.
  4. Laservampire

The Sanctuary PAL DVD does.

cloggedmind likes this.
  5. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

It really wasn't very good. I laughed at the airline pilots sketch, but otherwise ...

The Hud likes this.
  6. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Same here. The rest was very irritating, so I guess they succeeded.

Meng and All Down The Line like this.
  7. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

That may have been a contractual obligation.

Vidiot, longdist01 and The Hud like this.
  8. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

"Not to leave the room, even if you come and get him."

9. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

It's basically a FROST REPORT with Cleese hosting instead of Frost, and fellow Oxbridge-ers instead of Corbett and Barker.

goodiesguy and All Down The Line like this.
  10. Laservampire

The WHIZZOBUTTER2019 discount code expires in 4 days if anyone still hasn’t ordered the Blu-Ray box from Network.

11. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Exciting about the new 3 DVD sets for the pre-Pythons shows Do Not Adjust Your Set (with a new inclusion of a season 2 episode, so thinking Terry Gilliam animation) and At Last The 1948 Show. There seems to be loads of new extras listed for both and some stray clips and even audio from some no longer existant episodes. I have the earlier 2 disc sets and am very tempted by these new ones, but so far I think there only plans for them as region 2.

12. Laservampire

The new BFI discs will be a giant improvement over the old DVDs. You can always rip the discs and re-burn them to remove the region coding.

13. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I can play region 2 (and I think even 4) discs myself, but I know many can't.

14. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Dear customer,

First, some slightly not-so-good-news - we’re really sorry that we have had to delay the release date of the magnificent box set until 4th November 2019

The absolutely spiffing news, however, is that during the course of the restoration, just as we thought we’d seen everything, yet more cans of film material emerged from other quarters that could, frankly, have been anything. We’re still painstakingly going through every frame of the archive but have discovered a wealth of Python nuggets, a lot of it unseen.

It would be impossible to include this material and still make the original release date but, it was an easy decision as not only is a lot of the material being seen for the first time, it is all being restored and presented in HD.

As a thank you for your patience, enjoy this preview of an exclusive, very rare and reinstated piece of animation we have restored to HD quality:

15. cloggedmind

I seem to recall another big bluray set getting a case of the delays not too long ago..

Also, just as I suspected, there are changes-- the animation clip posted differs from the broadcast version. The audio contains less audience response than the original.

The sound on the clip is crappy, but you hear the difference:

Just like in classic Doctor Who, get ready for a whole slew of sly, new alterations slipped in beneath the "Restoration".

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  16. Laservampire

I don't think they're going out of their way to be subversive with changes like this though. The film print audio with some audience reactions flown in is probably the best quality elements that exist.

17. cloggedmind

I see your point, and I'd agree in this instance. The clip looks and sounds great! I can finally hear Eric clearly. Losing that first audience gasp when the crucifixes are revealed, though, lessens the overall impact and reduces the perceived shock or surprise.
    With this as an early guide to the effort, I'd argue that the box set we'll end up with will be a close reconstruction and not a restored series. As it is with the clip, it is not what was originally transmitted, but almost!

It just worries me to think who worked on these programs, and consider what has come before and what put me off the classic Who releases (among others. and I spent a ton on those old vhs's's): First, a tape dropout is cleaned up. Then, a splice. A chunk of audio swapped here and there. Captions redone. New color scheme. New dalek voices. New cgi effects because someone handling the original elements thought the old effects looked too cheap (for a low budget show in 1963?!). Delete a shot or two because of bad makeup (bald wig). Edit out ad caps and idents(a-la Rising Damp). Cut part of Perrin's pre-breakdown speech to protect us from seeing a tape dropout. Eliminate the episodic, cliffhanger format, create a feature out of separate shows. Filmize video content. Utilize alternate takes. Change music just for a fake 5.1 sound mix. I recall much discussion about the "Hand of Sutekh" back in the day...

18. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

You’re still upset about that Dalek episode having an alternate movie-length version, even though that is essentially the version many people saw in 1975 when it aired as a post-Christmas special?

Wikipedia: Genesis of the Daleks was one of the most widely known serials of the original run as it was repeated often. It was edited into an 85-minute omnibus version and broadcast on BBC1 at 3:00 pm on 27 December 1975, attracting 7.6 million viewers, and also was repeated in two edited 45-minute episodes as part of the "Doctor Who and the Monsters" on 26 July and 2 August 1982, which attracted audiences of 4.9 and 5 million.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  19. will_b_free

Distortions and exaggerations. “New color scheme” - meaning matching color grading from shot to shot, not a new color scheme at all. “Captions redone” - uh, yeah, they’d have to be, or they’d be a stair-stepped mess. “New Dalek voices” - without even looking this up, based on your record I’d bet a dollar this means they re-recorded a line that was damaged. “Eliminate the episodic, cliffhanger format” - a reference to the bonus inclusion of the recreated “TV movie version” of one serial. “Filmize video content” - except not really video content, since you are referring to film content that was transferred to video being restored to progressive film frames through the use of VidFire. And so on and so on, just one distortion after another. If you can’t win an argument honestly, maybe your argument is faulty.

I’m sorry to sound harsh, but I held my tongue when these lies went around the first time, and I am not staying silent as they come up again.

20. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

I just got confused mid reading that post at the idea of original broadcast Doctor Who having ad caps and idents.
    and weren't BBC & ITV content on dvd worked on by completely different people and released by completely different dvd companies :confused:

Agree the the Doctor Who restoration team went too far sometimes, and remember plenty of moans about missing adcaps on roobarbs dvd forum.

cloggedmind likes this.
  21. cloggedmind

Well, it's kind of a weak tie-in as I thought it was Network that released Rising Damp with the "End of Part 1" and such removed. T’were ITV.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Lost In The Flood likes this.
  22. cloggedmind

Any bashing is welcome, but it won't change my opinions. The Python clip is merely the latest example of altering video content. Changes will continue and I do not have to like them and you do not have to like my reasons.

Based on your "record", well, I can't comment as I never saw the likes of you before. Good to know you're keeping an eye on me!

23. Raf

Raf Senior Member Thread Starter

So, based on the rather vaguely worded statement in bold, can we surmise that there will be eventually be another release of these restored "Python nuggets"?

24. Royce

Royce Senior Member

I think they mean that the release date for the set is being pushed back so they can include this new stuff they found.

25. will_b_free

By your record, I only meant all the distortions and half-truths in your two posts about Doctor Who. Not checking up you, I assure you.

And if the dead parrot is replaced by a CGI parrot, I will accept that your warning of the dangers of restoring old shows was not as hysterical as it sounded.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.