Once Upon a Time in Hollywood SPOILERS! SPOILER THREAD...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

And another thing I just hate: I just bought the Jackie Brown soundtrack on vinyl (man, what a movie! I just watched that and Inglorious a few weeks ago for the first time....what a ride). I also have the Pulp Fiction soundtrack. I play vinyl in my shop, sometimes with other people around. How I HATE that they put snippets of the film dialogue on the soundtrack! Not everyone wants to hear the F word while playing music, especially if you don’t always know who might walk in the room. I just don’t see the need for that. If I want to hear the script, I will watch the film. I listen to soundtracks (in those cases especially) for the music. The dialogue takes me out of the music which isn’t what I want when spinning vinyl. However, I would bet we would be pretty evenly split on this issue!

2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

The only way I’ve been able to find Bloodstone’s Natural High on vinyl was to buy the album. I don’t like rap either, but the rest of the songs are worth putting up with it for imo. Worth it for me just for that song. Man, he really was a creative musical genius with the way he used those songs in that film! And he topped himself with Hollywood. Very curious how the box office numbers play out this weekend with all the repeat viewings.

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Lot was cut”?

The narrator was irritating, sorta cut to the chase.

Spahn ranch scene was a bit of a anticlimax. Went on to long. Guess no jacuzzi skinny dipping. Or frolicking nude in the woods eating magic mushrooms. :D

4. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Just back from seeing it. No 70mm screenings in the UK unfortunately but caught a 35mm showing. Excellent technical presentation at the Barbican, thought the film looked great.

I have mixed emotions overall - some great scenes, some that went on far too long. Acting was generally strong and I thought the soundtrack was great. I think it's the editing that I have an issue with.

tommy-thewho and Carl80 like this.
  5. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Completely disagree. It gave a good feel for exactly how life must've been there. And it gave good (further) exposition to Cliff's character and how he handled adversity. I think the whole scene was perfect.

6. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Saw it this evening. Enjoyed it very much. Dread to think how much digital location composition had to go on but it worked. I want Brandi the dog too!

Would love to actually see a sequel set 3-4 years on. Oh well...

7. rodrigosanche55

rodrigosanche55 Forum Resident

do you think? that much digital? Tarantino has critized many times the current widespread use of green screen to digitally add backgrounds. He hates it and I've read how he wanted to give us the real look of 60's LA, filming on location with the appropriate cars, clothes, props.. It all seem real to me!

Lewisboogie and Jrr like this.
  8. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Oh dear... you might be disappointed. That stuff doesn't exist anymore.

It's so good now you do not notice. If it looks realistic...its probably digital composite.

Chris DeVoe and Dudley Morris like this.
  9. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Really? Digital in this movie?
    I'm all ears, what scenes?

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Yeah there's gotta be *some* in the big wide LA shots and scattered cleanup throughout but I don't expect it's a large part of what we're seeing.

Lewisboogie and Chris DeVoe like this.
  11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Some surprising usage:
    Behind the scenes: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

As far as practical goes,
    Other instances in the article: ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’: Quentin Tarantino Gives Tinseltown a Nostalgic, 50-Year Facelift

A video example:

Butterfly Blue, Dan C, AaronW and 2 others like this.
  12. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Finally saw it tonight, if I’m being honest I was slightly disappointed overall, think I had hyped it up too much , I kept on thinking as the film went on when is it going to get going but it didn’t till the end really, it was a clever twist I thought on real life events at the end and Brad Pitt was brilliant.

Maybe it might grow on me with more viewings like others have said on here, one thing I was surprised about was Dalton at the end, when the first leaks appeared on you tube before any trailers where made available a fan put some clips together and it had Dalton having a mad melt down scene that was not in the film, I thought we would have seen more from Rick at the end, anyone else think there is more to come from this film or will the ending stay the same ?

Think I am gonna try and go too another screening again soon for a second viewing.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  13. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

That's not how they did it. They did physical recreations of the period.

“When you’re talking about a movie that’s shot on film, where you have all of Hollywood Boulevard that is physically transformed into 1969 with no CGI, this is kind of a real throwback to an era of film making that we’re not going to see anymore,” DiCaprio said. “In a way it is a bit of a dinosaur.”

Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio on ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,’ Working With Quentin Tarantino

Dan C likes this.
  14. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Not those wide vista shots though. I don't think a third of LA got the makeover.

15. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

They shut down areas of the freeway and used over 2000 vintage cars.

16. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I think a lot has been cut, I’ve seen Dalton and Tate scenes that have been cut and Tim Roth’s scenes where cut.

17. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

Amazing attention to detail,can't imagine all the work it took to do this.
    This would have been a perfect Westworld set,go hang out in 1969 L.A. for a few days.Or maybe Disney or Universal can do it now,like the world of Harry Potter or Star Wars for hip adults :)
    Strip Clubs,X-Rated theater,period movies,clubs,record stores..it would be packed.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  18. Really no digital. Even the outdoor movie theater was a miniature.

Lewisboogie, BeatleJWOL and Matthew like this.
  19. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Wasn't Disney in the running for financing this film before Sony made the deal? We might have seen Sharon visiting Disneyland and riding on the Skyway, as well as the PeopleMover - rebuilt, of course, for the film.

20. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

I don't think anyone answered this but the song you are looking for from that scene is "Twelve Thirty (Young Girls Are Coming To The Canyon) by the Mamas & The Papas. It was left off the soundtrack album for some unknown reason.

alexpop likes this.
  21. alexpop

I’m surprised QT used the song ( great that it is) due to composer John Philips controversy.

Aside..be great if the Blu Ray has the uncut film.

Jrr likes this.
  22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Whoa. Whoa. Go see it again. Bro. Yer breakin my heart. It’s great Tarantino.

Lewisboogie and Jrr like this.
  23. alexpop

12 thirty song should have been played while Cliff was cruising the s t r I p.

Wasted opportunity TT spinning scene.

Best bit about the ranch was Bruce Dern.

Also when Tate goes to the cinema ( freebie) outside looked a lot of stage set( way better than inglorious...though).

Most of my observations are nit picking cept music ( yeah d j radio original was good )...being an oldie that’s to be expected.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  24. alexpop

Happy Trails.

Great album sleeve.

Lightworker likes this.
  25. alexpop

Lewisboogie likes this.