New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Python

Python Forum Resident

Great album, best since Magic for me (granted, the past few are not exactly a high bar to clear...) and much better than I expected. The only real duds (and they're not hideous like the duds on the past few) are, seemingly in cadence with others, Miracle and Smoky Joes, yet I also really don't like Stones, which a lot of you seem to love. Just don't like the melody/delivery, find it very repetitive, but to each his or her own!

My main complaint is that he's not touring! We've had enough ESB the past few tours, he hasn't done a real solo run since D&D in '05, I believe. Yes, there was the Broadway thing, which took a lot of time and was solo, but it was basically the same hits-laden set in the same exact place night after night. I want a real solo tour of different venues, with great setlists like the last run.

But who gives a **** what I want? My wife certainly doesn't! I'll go see ESB if that's who comes...just please, please no Tom Morello and his incessant squeaking and squawking...hideous noise! (And I'm no old fogey, I was in my 20s when Rage was peaking and I love most 90s rock but his awful shtick never did it for me...)

2. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

This great album will now be forever linked in my mind, to warm summer nights.

3. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Hitchhiker is my personal favorite too:)

Wildgift, Rockford & Roll and Adam9 like this.
  4. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

This.

5. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

That's odd, because stage lighting always seems so natural.

Girlpower, Randy5554 and windfall like this.
  6. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident

I keep going back to this record over and over and over....

7. Jesus Jeronimo

Jesus Jeronimo Forum Resident

Been listening this afternoon the whole album again after a couple of weeks busy with other stuff.
    Just thought it was even better than I remembered.

It’s one of his best albums. I was not expecting much when it was announced, to be honest......great surprise.

J

8. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident Thread Starter

Trailer for the Western Stars documentary....

9. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Thanks for posting, hopefully it will get Blu Ray or dvd release

The MEZ likes this.
  10. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I'm sure they will be out in time for Christmas giving. Maybe a short theatrical release to create buzz and then the discs.

JoeF. likes this.
  11. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

Saw the trailer to 'Western Stars' today. It was the shown just before "Blinded By the Light". It is probably attached to that film. Same distributer. BTW 'Blinded By the Light' is one of the best films I have seen so fat this year.

The MEZ likes this.
  12. powerq

powerq Forum Resident

I hope that's just stage lights.
    The only good Orangemen are at Syracuse.
    I also saw recently that the film is published by Warner Brothers. Is someone at Sony getting fired?

wrappedinsky likes this.
  13. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Two months after release and I am still loving `Western Skies' (as Dave Marsh called
    it last week) as much as ever. Even more, in fact. `The Wayfarer', `Tucson Train' and
    the utterly sublime `Sundown' are all Top 10 Springsteen songs for me. And I simply
    cannot see that changing anytime soon.

14. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

The official trailer for the documentary:

Davido, wrappedinsky, DavidD and 6 others like this.
  15. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Looks interesting. Lots of previously unseen vintage clips.

OptimisticGoat, The MEZ and JoeF. like this.
  16. Bill

Bill Senior Member

This film may be as incredible as the album,

17. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

If I didn't see photos of a tanned and well-rested Bruce swimming while vacationing in Italy a couple weeks ago, I'd be worried that he had a life threatening medical condition after watching this trailer. The things he says kind of make it sound like he's saying "goodbye."
    But I'm morbid like that.

If the film is as good as the album, we're in for a treat.

18. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

A short-theatrical release so the film will be eligible for Oscar consideration..
    Which --going by the amount of awards he's gotten over the past couple of years, he'll probably win.

OptimisticGoat and Bill like this.
  19. geojo

geojo Forum Resident

I've been loving this album too. Not sure if this has been mentioned here already, and if so my bad, but there are two songs on here--"Chasing Wild Horses" and "Moonlight Motel"--that I can't help associating with "Wild Horses" and "Moonlight Mile" from "Sticky Fingers." And of course the "moonlight" tracks are the last tracks on these respective gems.

DavidD and OptimisticGoat like this.
  20. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

The album keeps growing on me. As an album, pound for pound, it might be his strongest album since TOL !! (Rising and Magic have great moments, but not as cohesive as WS)

If the film is as good as the trailer (and as long as we get complete performances), it will be awesome.

I hope this gets a blu ray release- which Broadway sadly did not. And no tour sine 2009...(but that’s another, frustrating, debate)

21. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

This was mentioned when the track list was first announced.
    Don't forget the song "Stones."

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  22. Wildgift

Wildgift This is the modern world that I've heard about...

Totally agree on this. It's his best in decades. This trailer made my girlfriend and me cry!

OptimisticGoat and The MEZ like this.
  23. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Perhaps Bruce’s new film about his latest album can play on a double bill with Neil’s new film about his latest album.

I look forward to watching both on Netflix, along with the Crosby film, in the future.

24. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Cool, as I'm going to see it tonight!

"Western Stars" is having it's premiere here in Toronto at the film festival in Sept.
    Odds are good that Bruce will be here for it.
    The film will be in theatres briefly in October!

DavidD, Adam9, OptimisticGoat and 2 others like this.
  25. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

"Western Stars" has been the perfect soundtrack for this summer.
    I love listening to it during a sunny afternoon.
    It's wonderful and I'm wondering if maybe a previous poster was right in saying that it may be his best overall album since "Tunnel Of Love"
    It's certainly up there!

Can't wait for the film; I'd love to see it at our Film Festival next month but that will be likely impossible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.