Elvis at the International Hotel Las Vegas 1969 Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by emjel, Apr 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Depends how they allocated budget to the release. I guess no more than any other soundboard release. Kinda like a tv show, FTD spends more on some "big budget" episodes (like remixing and mastering multitrack tapes), and treat the soundboards like "ship-in-a-bottle" episodes, minimal cost. They retail for the same so the additional margin on the soundboards helps cost-average on the multitrack releases.

If the original source is indeed 2-track binaural of some kind, and assuming it's all one show (that's been questioned before), the engineer would need to do additional editing and mixing work prior to mastering; more hours. My hunch is FTD put this out as cost effectively as possible, ran the tape to digital with some EQ (and I suspect some compression/limiting) and put it out. Note it wasn't mastered by Vic Anesini, like so many of the Classic Albums, but farmed out to Jan Eliasson, who's done a smattering of soundboard work for FTD.

I believe they have a "pre-LP-master" source of some kind. When people started to notice all that had been remastered for Rock Around The Bloch was the processed 1980 EAP LP tape (listen to when the tape drops out, the 1980 added reverb tails over it.) I recall some self-defense from the FTD engineer that he wanted to use the pre-LP master source, but it was out of his control. It was never conclusively explained.

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I do not like it, in fact, I consider it to be one of the most, if not the most, disappointing Elvis box sets ever released. Also, you don’t need it with respect to the 1969 recordings, especially if you have the new 1969 box on order.

3. I appreciate that. :tiphat:

4. PacificOceanBlue

Yes, FTD/Sony has the reel to reel master tape, but was unable to use it. Ernst never revealed what the issue was, whether the tape was in a damaged/deteriorated state, or if there was a lack of access to a machine that could play the tape, or some other complication. Perhaps it was budgetary. Who knows? I am also not convinced use of the original reel to reel tape would have produced a noticeably superior result; it is still a would have sounded like the inferior tape source that it is.

melstapler likes this.
  5. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

The Feb. 1970 remixes on the Live In Las Vegas box (2001) are especially atrocious. I recall the mix of the Aug 70 show on that box being pretty good.

Shvartze Shabbos and RSteven like this.
  6. PacificOceanBlue

The 8/11/70 m.s. from the box set was the only redeeming aspect and one of Ferrante’s best mixes. The third disc, with February 1970 and February 1972 recordings (IIRC, the horrendous 1999 On Stage mixes were re-used), was indeed atrocious, completely recycled from previous releases. It was incredibly lazy.

7. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

2-track stereo and binaural are interchangeable terms in this case. Binaural (at least in this instance) means something recorded to 2-track tape, albeit unmixed. Both terms are acceptable.

Kevan Budd was the one who laid the bombshell that the 2-track/binaural tape was in the vaults a few years ago. I agree that The Return To Vegas FTD is the best sounding version available.

PacificOceanBlue and RSteven like this.
  8. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks POB. I take it we can safely assume the recording (which I like and would have put in the box) of 3rd August is from that date or a date very similar?

9. PacificOceanBlue

It is most likely from early in the engagement, not sure if anyone has ever verified that it is actually from 8/3, but it is clearly an early show.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

The way I look at these concerts, sound quality preferences aside, are that they arent meant to be listened to back to back. If I feel like gettin' my Elvis on then I listen to one randomly. I think of it as if I got to go to all the engagements at my leisure. I might only listen to 4 concerts from this set a year. So I dont think about the repetition in the setlist. Its cool each time.

11. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I have been comparing the first disc of the box (8/21) vs. disc 2 from "Viva Las Vegas". Same show, except Blue Suede Shoes and Baby What You Want Me To Do. No contest. Mr. Ross-Spang, you still have a couple of things to learn.

Listen to What'd I say. Congested on the box set, just wonderful, fast and furious on "Viva Las Vegas".

12. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

As I've been getting into this set it's struck me just how much enjoyment diving into different shows is giving me. I'm not getting bored.

There's an intimacy to this first engagement that's like "hangin' with Elvis" that's attractive and largely disappears in later engagements - after all, as good as the 2nd season is in Jan/Feb 1970, he had to shorten his show and come August 1970 he's performing from a different place, more the commanding superstar and less the hungry "it's now or never" performer, unsure what's ahead.

And the 4 shows that are either complete for the first time, or previously unreleased are really essential for fans us this period. I had wondered if I had all the live 1969 material I "needed", but I'm very happy to have these additional shows.

Right now it's kinda "pick a number between 1 and 11" and going along for the ride!

DirkM, Solace, Brian Mc and 4 others like this.
  13. PacificOceanBlue

I’m experiencing the same thing. I’m surprised at how much I'm enjoying this release so far. The 8/25 dinner show has really caught my attention so far.

14. The Freedom Man

The Freedom Man The Freedom Man

I really enjoyed listening today to the new release.I am not very familiar with the Vegas shows.I’ve been an Elvis fan from an early age but mostly focused on 1970 and after.
    So what strikes me is his powerfull voice which is much better than later the 70’s.Also I had too laugh a few times when he’s telling jokes or stories.They were new to me and I am
    not used to hear them on other Vegas shows.Nice setlist also with good performed songs.Guess I need the complete Vegas set now, as long as it is on vinyl cause that’s all I listen too when listening to music.

15. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Good show, that's the show where the Runaway and Yesterday masters come from I believe.

I dig the August 23rd, Midnight Show, and will be coming back to that one often I feel.

RSteven likes this.
  16. PacificOceanBlue

After the release of Hot August Night, the 8/25 m.s. show developed a reputation as perhaps the best of the 1969 multitracks. After listening to the dinner show, it became clear that Elvis was simply “on” during the entire evening of the 25th.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    mgb70, ZoSoUK, laf848 and 4 others like this.
  17. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Indeed, interesting to track the vibe on the different days. The last evening of recording on the 26th definitely has a way loser vibe across both shows, and much the same as the August 13th, 1970 clearly Elvis has been asked to run through some additional tunes for potential use on the album (and in that case, the film).

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  18. PacificOceanBlue

The 8/23 m.s. is a great one, and nice to have in much better sound quality than before. I just listened to the much maligned 8/23 d.s. and it is like hearing it for the first time outside of substandard confines of the Live In Las Vegas box set.

Another thing this box set has done is reaffirm the notion that Elvis never topped this July/August 1969 engagement. Some great live work followed it during 1970-1972 (especially 1970), but this was a truly special series of concerts. Having all of these multitracks in one place for the first time is quite an experience. Definitely the surprise box set of the year (although I strongly dislike how the CDs are packaged).

Mr. H, laf848, Mark87 and 4 others like this.
  19. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

That's the 24th.

20. PacificOceanBlue

Yes, thanks for correcting my typo.

21. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

My pleasure old man!

frightwigwam likes this.
  22. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Just got my copy of this set today. At first glance it looks beautiful, but I'm REALLY not a fan of those cardboard sleeves that threaten to either scratch the CDs or simply tear when you're trying to get the CD out. In the past I've ruined more than one digipack/sleeve trying to get the CDs out. Anyway, I'm looking forward to spending some time with this box this week!

23. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

The trick to getting them out easily is to roll them out. Get a grip at the top of one side of a disc, and slowly pull down and outwards. Works for me at least.

But otherwise I agree, this style of packaging has never been welcomed.

Shawn, RSteven and Mr. H like this.
  24. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I have to admit that I had some reservations about the sound on this set, based on the RSD sample that was posted on YouTube quite some time ago, but after listening to Disc 1, I'm absolutely DELIGHTED by the way it's mixed. Little things like the guitar solo on Heartbreak Hotel, or the drum fill that kicks off Hey Jude, sound fantastic here. I know a lot of Elvis fans love Anesini's mixes, but I just can't get past the hard-panning of the instruments (the drums, in particular, suffer from this approach). This mixing style is much more to my tastes.

No idea why Amazon.uk's price was so much cheaper than Amazon USA's, but I was able to save about $40 by getting it there. It also helped that about half of this box's content is new to me, so that made taking the plunge even easier.

laf848, RSteven and PacificOceanBlue like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.