Parting with CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam9, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

i'm thinking that they won't still be pressed in 20 years....in 10 probably, but not 20. Sales are dwindling too much despite the percentages you quoted. It may be 80% of physical sales, but it's 80% of something that is like 70% less than 20 years ago

2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I listen to @Synthfreek 's personal Yacht Rock playlist on Spotify Free. I think he gave me access to it about 2-3 years ago. Thanks, Synthfreek!

I'm not keeping track of all the permutations of argument in this thread, but I will say that something that keeps becoming apparent is that a lot of people who reject streaming just don't really know much about it. It is a really powerful platform. It can do a lot of really cool things. And you don't have to ditch all your CDs and vinyl to enjoy it, it's just another way to enjoy music.

3. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Streaming is fine and for me, its really just Radio 'on demand', but it won't replace physical purchases for me ; rather it is an additional option. I use it primarily to access streaming only options (and rip those through the analog hole or captures to be honest).

4. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Exactly. Not exactly the things that memories are made of are they?

j_rocker and Pop_Zeus like this.
  5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

But of course, no need for it to replace anything. That's one of the difficulties of this debate is that people seem to think that you've got to ditch all your physical media and live in a one-bedroom dome home. :laugh:

6. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Google.

Joe Bonamassa is seemingly concerned with the financial plight of his studio writers, musicians, and producers yet takes no responsibility in the fact that, perhaps, he and his label are getting too big a cut of the streaming revenue and it's not just the delivery service that is to blame. Where is he attacking his own label that signed a Spotify contract that he finds objectionable? Where is he rallying other headlining artists to take 10% of their own personal revenue and funnel it back to the studio team that helped put them on top?

When it comes to the subject of money, I very much know what I'm talking about. Or are you saying that the superstar headliner and the label don't have a responsibility to writers and studio support?

An industry is being disrupted and I'm not seeing any sacrifice on the part of the superstar talent and the record labels. Why is that?

7. winders

winders Music Lover

“Video Killed the Radio Star”....no....wait....

8. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Why, do they need to be?

The first time I heard The Logical Song by Supertramp I was blown away. Does it matter what format I heard it on? Do you think that when it comes on in my car this afternoon via Apple Music that it has any less of an impact than it did on WPLJ New York circa 1979?

The form of media doesn't matter. What matters is the music, and the music is no longer tethered to a room in your house. It can go everywhere you go.

Gaslight likes this.
  9. Fifth-Chord

Fifth-Chord VG+

Will you be utilizing the Hoffman classifieds? Let us know!

tmtomh and Jim Duckworth like this.
  10. trusso

trusso Forum Resident

The real magic to me is having WiFi internet access in a cabin in the woods.

Gaslight and schnitzerphilip like this.
  11. Jim Duckworth

Jim Duckworth I can't lose with the stuff I use.

I certainly will now that it has been suggested. Thank you.

tmtomh likes this.
  12. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Could you could you be any more obtuse. I forgave you with all the hey Jude stuff last year but I’ve had enough of you now.

13. trusso

trusso Forum Resident

Then you are incorrect. Success does not make an artist an artist. It makes them a starving artist. So, the artist is the same guy the day before and after his big break. Those unemployed guys in the basement are artists. They justbhavent been discovered. The Beatles were sharing a ****ty room in Hamburg Germany one day and were on top of the England’s charts a month later. They were a bunch of unemployed guys in Hamburg making peanuts for performing 8 hours a night. If that’s what unemployed nobody’s sound like, I’ll take it over anyone that’s famous. And I don’t feel bad for them while they were in Germany. But they were as much artists as anyone else were.

14. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Let's all burn CDs like the Fascists did in 1939 and dance around the Holly trees. Jolly good times.

15. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Especially as there are many in threads here who magnanimously offer the same

no.nine and Gaslight like this.
  16. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

The fact that you don’t even know who Joe is pretty much writes off your viewpoint as unworthy of second look, AFAIC.

I know the gentleman and can state without equivocation that he’s a savvier business man than 99% of touring musicians. He never expresses opinions based on greed or a biased agenda. If he claims that there’s an issue with Spotify that is unfair to musicians, you can bank on it.

:cheers:
    Cat

Mr D and tmtomh like this.
  17. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

It doesn't sound like I have anything in common with you or your grandfather... thank god for small favors.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  18. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Agreed

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

even though I have tons of CDs I still find it hard to get rid or think of getting rid of any....I need to change this, but I am overwhelmed...

bluesky, Pop_Zeus and Eric_Generic like this.
  20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

more anxiety! LOL!

21. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

No, it’s not just radio on demand. As I posted in another ongoing thread on roughly this same topic, I just finished reading Alex Ross’s The Rest Is Noise, a history of twentieth century classical music. I’m not an expert on twentieth century classical music, but last night I read about Morton Feldman’s work Rothko Chapel ... and then listened to it on Spotify. I couldn’t afford to buy CDs blind to listen along when I read a book like that. I liked Rothko Chapel and may well end up buying it on CD, but, while reading the book, I checked out other modern composers, such as Iannis Xenakis, whom I didn’t like. Glad I didn’t waste $14 on one of his CDs.

If you’re serious about music and regularly push outside of your normal comfort zone of artists and composers, Spotify is an invaluable tool to discover new artists whose CDs you may well end up buying down the road.

Freedom Rider likes this.
  22. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

ANALOGUE OR DEATH Forum Resident

Honestly mate,I've given up responding to these couple of doughnuts.Peace.

R. Cat Conrad likes this.
  23. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

ANALOGUE OR DEATH Forum Resident

But you can't sniff your 'album's or whatever you call them.Ah! musty cardboard!!!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  24. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

We get it. You have sooooooooo many songs at your fingertips. Well done.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  25. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I put at least 350 CDs in a box on the floor in the guest bedroom to sell. MANY MFSL golds (40+/-) , targets, Japanese CDs, collectable ones, good ones, etc. - CDs that would sell. 3 years later they are all still in the same box on the floor in the guest bedroom. So much for getting rid of CDs.
    Since then... I've probably bought at least 700 each M- more. :shrug:

I'm too am 'overwhelmed' in CDs... & LPs too - BOTH. I'm way overwhelmed in M- LPs.

( & and then there's the Big Box speakers in the closets. o_O )

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Pop_Zeus and Eric_Generic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.