Fogerty: the Grateful Dead ‘sabotaged our chance in the limelight’ at Woodstock

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TerpStation, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone." Thread Starter

John Fogerty on the Grateful Dead at Woodstock: 'They sabotaged our chance in the limelight'

Fogerty in this article claims “By the time we went on it was 2:30 in the morning,” and blames the Grateful Dead for "sabotaging" his chance at the "limelight" whatever the hell that means.

However, per this website CCR went on at 12:30 which would appear to be the perfect time: Time Schedule

Other bands of course went on much later.....Janis at 2am, Sly at 3:30 and the Who at 5 and the Airplane at 8am! The would seem to have much more to complain about.

Really weird comments by him that don't make him look good in my opinion.

2. Poetry1

Poetry1 Forum Resident

Nevertheless, later he says he grew quite fond of them - even though belittling their afinity for LSD at Woodstock.
    He likes to keep his clean cowboy rock and roller image and he is 74 now - so quite a bit more conservative in this respect than earlier, I would guess.
    He played with the Dead on a 1989 charity gig, where they backed him.

ianuaditis, ARK and GoodKitty like this.
  3. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

He's bitter about a lot of things. And he goes on about some of them at length in his book ' Fortunate Son '.

4. Poetry1

Poetry1 Forum Resident

One would have thought he would mellow a bit having a great family life and a stable career unlike after the mid 70s. He is one of those who like to complain about things .
    Still glad he performs and is in good health. One of my favourites, musically from the late 60s/70s with CCR.

The MEZ likes this.
  5. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

He said the GD “mumbled” through their career, so I’m not sure how much of a fan he really is. I like CCR’s music and some of his solo stuff. But he seems like a guy whose artistic/music ability far exceeds his judgment.

6. Wildest cat from montana

To be fair to his bitterness , he was truly ripped off by his label to the tune of millions of dollars and that must rankle.

7. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Ugh...get over it, John.

piepants, Aftermath, funknik and 5 others like this.
  8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is a bit more complicated than that, and it doesn’t explain his spite and negativity toward so many parties, which apparently now includes the Grateful Dead.

piepants, Cervelo, painted8 and 7 others like this.
  9. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

This whole "John Fogerty is the victim of the world" act is growing tiresome no matter how great he is.

piepants, LouieG, Rfreeman and 13 others like this.
  10. Wildest cat from montana

...and someone else next year. Or month.

ARK and AppleCorp3 like this.
  11. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

According to the Woodstock schedule on Wiki , Mountain performed from 9 - 10. The Dead started at 10:30 and played until 12 - although their last song, 'Turn On Your Love Light' lasted 50 minutes. CCR started at 12:30. (There were 30 minute intervals between acts.) John Sebastian played that afternoon, but he was not scheduled to do so. He was asked to play to fill time because the other acts could not get to the venue on time because of the traffic jams. Also, The Incredible String Band was suppose to appear the previous day, but refused to play because of a thunder storm. They were slotted in during the afternoon on the second day. So, there are two extra acts - about an extra hour that would have delayed CCR's appearance. So, despite the 50 minute jam, it was not all the Dead's fault.

Woodstock - Wikipedia

It's really too bad, but Fogerty comes across as a very self-centred individual and not terribly humble.

piepants, arisinwind, astro70 and 5 others like this.
  12. Wildest cat from montana

He seems unwilling or unable to do that.
    Same thing with McCartney with the way he goes on about wanting to change the writing credits from Lennon-McCartney to McCartney -Lennon on the songs he wrote. You would think that with his wealth fame and glory that that wouldn't matter a damn really. But it does to him.

13. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Ugh, get over it, Paul.

:)

DTK, SG47, Aftermath and 7 others like this.
  14. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

CCR was about 1,000 times more famous in their time than the Dead were. Yes, they got ripped off, but that's show-biz.

Was he always such a cry-baby?

15. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

They backed him again a couple of years later at the bill Graham memorial concert in golden gate park.

ianuaditis, GoodKitty and beccabear67 like this.
  16. Poetry1

Poetry1 Forum Resident

Great artists are very talented, but still people = they have as many flaws as most - some are grumpy, bitter, or downright mean, etc. The work of art may be perfect, the artist is not.

17. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Just watched a doc, Sly and Family Stone got the crowd rocking in the middle of the night.

SG47, melstapler, jwoverho and 10 others like this.
  18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yeah, five decades later, as he lives comfortably in Beverly Hills (and elsewhere) with the freedom to perform and create, it has gotten old (and the new owners of Fantasy reinstated his royalties years ago). Let it go John, and move on.

Aftermath, mcwlod, budwhite and 14 others like this.
  19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yet he's still very very rich. If he was destitute (like many late in life rock stars who end up with nothing) I could understand still being bitter. But he's not. He's rich, healthy, has a loving family, and continues to enjoy performing for adoring fans. If ever there was a textbook example of someone who needs to get over it and stop whining about what happened in the past, it's him.

piepants, elborak, budwhite and 12 others like this.
  20. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Paul's not entirely wrong. He himself saw somewhere where it said Yesterday was written by John Lennon. Obviously a mistake, but it was based on the Lennon-McCartney credit and Lennon's name being first. As a songwriter in a partnership myself, I could see his point. However, he made that partnership deal and that should be the end of it.

21. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

[​IMG]

HIGHER!

tages, DTK, SG47 and 7 others like this.
  22. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

This is nothing new - Fogerty's been saying this about the Dead for YEARS. I think it may be in some official live cd or dvd (?). I know I've heard him yammer on about it at concerts, and I've only seen him once in the last decade...

fourfeathers likes this.
  23. Wildest cat from montana

Yes...
    If you believe what he writes in his book he's annoyed and pissed off about pretty much everything. His upbringing , his band , concert promoters , his label , Nixon , the price of gas , climate change, the emergence of CDS and the shortage of quality flannel shirts.

Coricama, budwhite, Tjazz and 11 others like this.
  24. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

CCR played during Prime Time as far as Woodstock went considering how late into the morning some bands had to play due to all the delays.

They played a great set and it was well-received.

I deem his complaint as being without merit. :D

guppy270 and frightwigwam like this.
  25. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

I remember seeing video of him playing a Vietnam veterans' benefit in the '80s, and his message to the men in attendance was essentially, Try to accept that what happened to you, however unfair, happened to you. There's no going back.

Too bad he can't take his own advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.