Fogerty: the Grateful Dead ‘sabotaged our chance in the limelight’ at Woodstock

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TerpStation, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

Fogerty was still ripped off, even if he subsequently started receiving royalties, and spent many years without the wealth that he had earned. On the other hand, Fogerty made poor business decisions on his own and should have hired a financial adviser. I think many people would still be bitter to some extent.

2. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

One of the most easily predictable things here at SHF is the group of posters that lay in wait for any post about John Fogerty to post about whey they don’t like about him. John has brought joy to millions and millions of people. Unless you are Cosmo Clifford, Stu Cook, or a family member or business associate of one of them, I’m pretty sure John Fogerty has had a positive effect in your life. Actually, no one would know who Clifford and Cook were if not for John Fogerty.

Umbari, robcar, DavidD and 6 others like this.
  3. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

May I walk on yours?

4. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Ha! So true.

And actually, I would kill to have a 9-5 job, which I DID have up until about 2 years ago. Now I work mostly nights, and every Saturday. Working for the same company, and no pay cut.
    But it sucks when you have 2 little kids
    that you don't see nearly as much anymore.

But yeah, as much as I love John and CCR's music, he can come off a bit as a crybaby. This became crystal clear after reading his book.

5. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Those two have made a good living out of Creedence Clearwater Revisited, playing the famous songs they didn't write, and they are both really excellent performers, their shows get good reviews.

BobFever, GoodKitty and Bluesman Mark like this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

what is he expecting to gain from being a moaner? respect? sympathy? I'm miffed by his actions...geez, it's been a long time worrying about the past of which he lost nothing and gained much. His music is still being played, sold and enjoyed...he should step back and kiss the Gods feet for forgiveness for being such a cry baby...

frightwigwam and street legal like this.
  7. TS582

TS582 Forum Resident

Fogerty’s made it so easy for you to make that prediction. He’s a mental case. Every time he opens his mouth he has a new statement about his greatness. It’s nice to now know that Woodstock happened because of him. You can go kiss his feet. He needs it bad. He even joked about chasing his dead brother through eternity.

I was never so excited as when he came back with Centerfield. But he’s pathetic now. It’s amazing what fanboys defend sometimes.

8. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

After reading the article it's not so bad. Never knew he didn't want to have his segment in the film because everyone in front was asleep and would make his band look bad. At least we are getting a little new info about the Fest during this anniversary week! So you could do worse with yet another rehash.

9. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Hey ! Every thread has to mention The Beatles in some capacity. It's an unwritten rule .

Vinny123, AppleCorp3 and Uncle Miles like this.
  10. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I'm not buying that for a second.
    They played in the middle of the night.
    Even if the cameras DID go to the crowd, you wouldn't see a damn thing, least of all people sleeping.
    I cannot remember ANY Woodstock footage (officially released or otherwise) where the cameras spend any time at all on the crowd after dark.
    It's all daylight footage, because it was very dark in that field at night.

ARK, guppy270, IndyTodd and 3 others like this.
  11. Some folks are born with bitter spoon in hand . . .

2trackmind, ARK, arisinwind and 3 others like this.
  12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Crosby has been full of himself since before joining The Byrd’s, it is nothing new, and probably part of what has driven his greatness over the years.

With respect to his membership in The Byrd’s, a lot of music fans care. I also think a lot of people would disagree with your position that Crosby would be a footnote without Stills and Young. CSN doesn’t happen without Crosby, and his creative influence is all over the legendary debut.

13. Wildest cat from montana

"Ooo..they send you off to Woodstock "

14. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Who got ripped off more? Fogerty by Zaentz or Jagger and Richards by Oldham/Klein?

dlokazip likes this.
  15. Wildest cat from montana

I appreciate your viewpoint but what would have become of Crosby after being booted out of the Byrds if he had not hooked up with Stills?
    I seriously doubt he would have snagged a record deal anywhere. A solo career ? Unlikely. What then? Get together with John Sébastien as a duo ( Sébastien & Crosby) ? Hook up with John Phillips and company ( The Mamas and The Papas and Crosby ) ?

16. Wildest cat from montana

Fogerty..give or take a few million.

17. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

18. maandrade

maandrade Forum Resident

Badfinger by Stan Polley: Pete and Tom lifes.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  19. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

So agree w you....despite anything Croz says or his behavior (who cares?) he will always be a monumental imo.
    He’s done so much great work and continues to today. Been a huge fan for over a half century and will be no doubt fairly depressed when he finally leaves us.

20. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Badfinger.

<mic drop>

21. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Beat me to it!

jwjeffrey and maandrade like this.
  22. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

Or Elvis by Col. Tom Parker.

23. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I don’t think I’ve ever said a negative word about Fogerty on this forum but it just struck me reading this thread... Leonard Cohen was ripped off too and late in life at that.

And boy, the way they reacted publicly couldn’t be any more different.

Doesn’t make me enjoy Cohen’s music more or John’s less - but I do sometimes feel a bit sad if in fact some of these guys are as bitter and unhappy as they often seem. Van Morrison, et al.... Just as a basic human value, I do hope they are happier in their private lives than they come across.

I think it’s a fair point that the MAIN thing to focus on, as fans, is the music. But these days, famous people are so much more accessible that it’s nearly impossible NOT to notice some of their personal traits - and, in fairness to criticism, some of these guys really drive it home one way or another.

And since people have brought up Crosby, I actually respect his candor - at least recently - he seems fairly willing to take aim at himself, not all his arrows are pointed outward. And the fact that he has had such a welcome return to prolific form is icing on the cake. And I say this as a guy who was never a Crosby fan, I mean not at all, until the last year or two.

24. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Or as the Dead call it: tuning up

sekaer, J Borland, ti-triodes and 7 others like this.
  25. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

John Fogerty is a superstar. I am a big, big fan. Anyone that can create this song is aces in my book:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.