Fogerty: the Grateful Dead ‘sabotaged our chance in the limelight’ at Woodstock

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TerpStation, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone." Thread Starter

I suspect he regrets not getting the fame he thought he deserved from Woodstock as CCR is never talked about in terms of the legendary sets that weekend like The Who, Hendrix's star spangled banner, Carlos Santana and the others..........

So what does he do with his anger...lashes out against the Grateful Dead who i think he really hates because the GD ended up being much bigger than him and way more important culturally. Pretty pathetic of him ....and i love CCR too, great great songs.

budwhite, IndyTodd and Dr. Zoom like this.
  2. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

At least now you're accompanying your tired, relentless scolding with interesting artwork

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  3. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Did any acts really become famous because of Woodstock?

4. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Santana?

ARK and Frozensoda like this.
  5. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Ten Years After to a lesser degree

Doggiedogma likes this.
  6. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

There is sure a lot of hatred for a man who created some of the greatest music of the 60's. Time to listen to the Dead:

When the last rose of summer pricks my finger
    And the hot sun chills me to the bone
    When I can't hear the song for the singer
    And I can't tell my pillow from a stone
    I will walk alone by the black muddy river
    And sing me a song of my own

----Black Muddy River

County50 and Frozensoda like this.
  7. boe

boe Forum Resident

Sly was already famous by Woodstock but delivered what might have been his best performance ever. He toured off that performance for years but after no-shows, ridiculously late shows, and lame shows that never came close to what was captured in the film, his reputation was shot and his career was essentially over (substance abuse a huge factor). But if he hadn’t been at Woodstock, his career might have been over much earlier. Joe Cocker and the then totally unknown Santana got a huge boost from being in the film.

8. Damn those Grateful dead! CCR might have become famous if the Dead didn't "sabotage their chance in the limelight".

9. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I wonder whether Fogerty’s initial reluctance to be in the movie/album was out of frustration/spite with the organizers? Feeling like he was wronged by having to go on late and follow the Dead? The movie and album were the financial saving of the festival and maybe he didn’t feel like helping them out?
    Just a thought.
    They put on a fine set (10cd version). If the Dead really put the crowd to sleep, it was his job to wake them up. I think they succeeded.

arisinwind likes this.
  10. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I think my point being that none of these names synonymous with Woodstock are at the butt of this “complaint” the gd didn’t jump on something that would otherwise be ccr legacy today. Who cares John? If ever someone should stick to public performance over speaking it’s this guy

11. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Perhaps he just meant that the entire audience was asleep after the Dead finished, so CCR was forced to play to a slumbering audience.

12. GlobalObserver

GlobalObserver Observing The Globe Since 1964

The way I see it, John Fogerty single-handedly sabotaged MY chance in the limelight by writing all of those classic songs before I ever had a chance to write them.

I've seriously considered taking him to court for plagiarizing songs that I would have eventually written if he had not written them first.

I spoke to a lawyer a few years ago and he thought I had a pretty solid case.

mrjinks, fishcane and Royce like this.
  13. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Considering the very poor conditions...bad weather, travel difficulties, chaotic scheduling, no lighting (save 3 spotlights), and a rudimentary sound system...most of the artists & bands put on very good performances at Woodstock.

14. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

He's now posted his tragic tale to Facebook. I wish the poster froma few pages back who related the actual timeline of the evening would school JF and his fans about what really went down.

15. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

IMO CCR's set was friggin' awesome! It wasn't the GD that "sabotaged CCR's limelight" - it was John's by not allowing the CCR set to see the light of day until this year. Seriously, CCR rocked Woodstock (so did Canned Heat)!

16. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Hot Tuna played at Woodstock?

17. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Lol - corrected.

Dr. Zoom likes this.
  18. I don't believe Santana's first record was even out yet at the time. Supposedly Bill Graham insisted on Santana performing there as a condition of his involvement in producing the festival. I heard they got paid $1700 for the gig.

seed_drill and Dr. Zoom like this.
  19. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Santana and Sha Na Na probably got the biggest boost. I watched the PBS doc last night (recommended) and several people said they had never heard of Santana and Soul Sacrifice was an incredible musical experience. A member of Sha Na Na recently said they have made a nice living ever since their Woodstock show based on their performance.

Frozensoda likes this.
  20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

If anyone was cheated it was Hendrix.

piepants, ARK, ti-triodes and 2 others like this.
  21. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That's right. He played 9 am on Monday morning when at least 90% of the crowd had left.

22. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

It was pretty much an accident that got them filmed and it was so fun it got included in the movie, which put them at the forefront of the 50's nostalgia craze and ultimately landed them a TV show.

23. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

He was born a grumpy old man.

ARK, Paper Wizard and Mark E. Moon. like this.
  24. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

And interestingly enough, that performance isfamous even among non fans

ARK likes this.
  25. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

He was smart enough to let his set be included in the film, warts and all.

ARK and fishcane like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.