New to me OPPO BDP-83 se/nu force edition

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ghostofzuul, Aug 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghostofzuul

ghostofzuul Harvester of Sorrow Thread Starter

i picked one up recently mostly for the analog audio section... although i was a film major... and used to watch movies perpetually... i don't much anymore... so the fact that it played blu-ray was way down on my list of reasons for the purchase... as a blu-ray player it is for the most part obsolete... it's only hdmi 1.3 and so i can't even use the hdmi uhd color feature on my 4k tv. it only works on hdmi 2.o connections...

anyway... i'm a big fan of the public library... turns out they have a pretty decent stash of blu-rays so i grabbed a fistful.... some newer movies.. some older... after watching a few i have to say i'm really impressed with how good the picture quality is. i would say 4k streaming video might be a tad bit better... but for my $ it's pretty gosh darn close... the oppo i got came with a nice audioquest hdmi cable also... bonus...

meanwhile... i've been doing some a/b listening between the analog output of the oppo and my teac ud-501... i was surprised to find that the oppo has the slight edge... it's a fuller and slightly warmer sound to my ears than the teac. especially through my tube amps. headphone jack is still broken on my preamp but i would like to spend some time listening to both the oppo and teac with headphones. and a/b some tunes that way...

i think the oppo was a good deal. the dude i got it from wasn't price gouging like a lot of ppl are with used oppo units these days.... it's in like new condition and i'm really enjoying it so far... i would recommend it for the audio section for sure... you would have to pay significantly more for a new disc player of the same quality...

i was actually thinking of getting a replacement laser/transport for it even though i don't need it now. i understand laser failure is a frequent problem with these units. i figure it can't hurt to get a replacement while they are still plentiful and easily obtained... and quite affordable at that...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    aarodynamic and tmtomh like this.
  2. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

If it sounds better then it is good. :righton:

I have one and the only problem with it is that it have problem to open the tray. I have found that keeping a disc in the tray as default will make the tray to open more easily. But I am more into vinyl right now..

I love that it play all types of media formats.

Warren Jarrett and ghostofzuul like this.
  3. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

I'm still very happy with mine that I bought ten (?) years ago. When word came out that Oppo was going out of the audio player business I was tempted for a moment to buy a new one (just in case...), but ultimately decided to stick with my BDP 83SE.
    And yes, about 2 years ago the CD laser gave out. Got a replacement off eBay (about $80 I believe), replaced it myself and now it is good as new again. So though laser failure might be a common issue with these units, it's not like it's happening quickly (in my situation at least).

tmtomh, Vinny123 and ghostofzuul like this.
  4. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

I was in the same situation but I chosed to buy a new UDP 205. Only issue I have had with my BDP 83SE Nuforce Edition is that it never played a couple of my SACDs. All of these play fine in the new 205. Today I use the 205 and keep the 83SE as a backup - happy camper :D

aarodynamic, tmtomh and ghostofzuul like this.
  5. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I have an 83se also. Very good sounding player. Oppo fixed the laser a couple of years ago and it’s hanging in there. You don’t hear much about this model. It was touted as prioritizing sound quality.

tmtomh and ghostofzuul like this.
  6. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

Just within the past month, I bought three Oppos to compare: a BDP-95, BDP-105D, and a BDP-105D with ModWright modifications. They totally gut the analog output circuitry, replace it with thier own tube based analog section, and power that with a separate outboard tube power supply. So it has two power supplies, and two power switches: one for the operating functions and digital playback, and the other for everything after the D/A conversion.

What I found was that the sound is better from the BDP-95 (stock) than either of the BDP 105D machines. Even the ModWright didn't make-up for the audio superiority of the older model. From all the reviews I read, the BDP-105 and 105D have better picture quality, but I didn't do a video comparison myself.

So I got rid of the BDP-105s, and bought two more BDP-95s for my various rooms. The sound quality from DVD-A and SACD is shockingly good, compared to other universal DVD players I have bought and sold.

(1) Does anyone know if there was a SE version or D version or Signature version of the 95? I would like to buy it, if there is one on Ebay to find, to complete my comparisons. I am done with any 103 or 105. And the 203 and 205 are too expensive now, used, to even consider. So any upgraded version of a 95 would be my baby.

(2) I didn't even think of trying an 83 or 85. Was there a BDP-85 and/or 85 SE? And, if yes, would it have been marketed as having improved sound rather than improved video, compared to the 83?

7. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

Nope, no 85 model

Warren Jarrett likes this.
  8. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

The BDP-93 came in a NuForce edition, in which the analog section was replaced with one that used second order harmonics. Steve was a fan. I should rescue mine from my parent's house one day.

But no, no special editions of the BDP-95, which was kind of in of itself the special edition of the 93.

bluenosens, tmtomh and Warren Jarrett like this.
  9. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I just want to ask this again. :confused: :laughup:

Of course, after I wrote this, I see that Rolltide answered. Maybe there was a 95 NuForce to look for, no?

10. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Just got myself a NOS BDP-103D unit. I play only 2 discs a week so I hope the laser won't give me any problems. First time I read these units have any type of problems with that.

11. bluenosens

bluenosens Forum Resident

I understand where you're coming from with that Nuforce modded Oppo as I own both an Oppo 105 and an Oppo Nuforce 93NXE. The NXE has a nice "roundness on notes while the 105 is leaner and more detailed. Each has its charm but the NXE board is very easy to listen to. Relaxing if you will.

ghostofzuul likes this.
  12. The Pinhead

The only think that disappointed me about my unit is that the transport takes a good 3.5 secs to cue to any track on CDs. I would have thought it would be faster at the price point. Why are current transports so sluggish ? Been told it's due to all the microprocessors involved ? The Technics I retired was lightning-fast in that regard.

13. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Was the Technics a CD-only player or a multi function DVD/etc? I think the delay comes from figuring out what kind of disc it's working with.

ghostofzuul likes this.
  14. The Pinhead

It was a CD-only unit :

[​IMG]

My Pioneer DVD player from 2005, is just as fast.

It's understandable it has to determine what disc it has to deal with, but once such disc is loaded and playing, should it not cue tracks faster ? I'm playing track one, cue to track five, and the display flashes ¨track five¨ for 3.5 secs till the counter comes back and the unit starts playing. Modern stuff, slower stuff ? I could come to terms with that if I had an explanation.

c-eling likes this.
  15. Bronica S2A

Bronica S2A Forum Resident

I have the same model, was it difficult to replace? What skill level would you say it would require to do the job?

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

You can contact Oppo and see about having them check out your 83SE. I recently had the optical drive changed out on a used 93 I bought from AVS. The 93 was bought knowing there was an issue reading discs. Oppo charged a flat fee of $99 to replace the optical drive and also went completely through the 93 giving it a clean bill of health. The $99 fee also included return FedEx shipping. The turnaround time was about a week from the time that Oppo received the 93 and to it's delivery to my door. If one is in the US there really is no need to risk doing the repairs IMO.

OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players

chili555, The Pinhead and ghostofzuul like this.
  17. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

No, it wasn't difficult at all, I thought, changing the laser. I did need to buy a right size screwdriver (a really tiny one). I'd say anyone who can properly handle a screwdriver and is a bit careful in handling material can change it. You don't need a degree in electronic engineering to do it. :) I took my time and was careful and got it replaced in 1 - 1 1/2 hours (really taking my time and from opening the case until having it all closed again and wired to my amp, etc.).
    The player is built very well to have some components replaced. So the disc drive is made in such a way that parts can be replaced. If you need to do it (or plan on doing it eventually) just open the case once, just to have a look on how it looks on the inside.

Here's a good step-by-step instruction, with pictures (post #4887 and onwards):
    Farewell to OPPO Digital

ghostofzuul likes this.
  18. knish

knish Forum Resident

Searching [ oppo 93 nxe for sale ] brought me here, after presumably first meeting you here? Oppo Nuforce BDP-93NE | Audiogon Discussion Forum If yes, then I recall that you have the 93NXE and the 83SE. Two channel DVD & BD movie sound (not multichannel) analog sound quality is essential. How does stereo movie (not CD or DSD) two channel sound from 93NXE compare in all respects to the 83SE?

Another big concern is DVD video performance, as reviews show that many BD players don't do this as well as you would think, for whatever strange reason. How you noticed which player produces the best DVD images and the least artifacts?

Finally, can either player do with BDs what virtually all players can do only with DVDs- multi step slow/fast motion and zoom control? If yes, which player can also do this while outputting the slow motion or zoomed image via HDMI?

bluenosens likes this.
  19. bluenosens

bluenosens Forum Resident

Hi, Knish. Sorry to be so late in replying. I no longer had the Oppo 83se as the Nuforce 93nxe replaced it. I used it strictly for cd playback in a second system so I really can't directly compare with the 83SE. All I can tell you is that it was a step up sound from 83SE as I sold the 83SE as soon as I bought the 93NXE back in 2011 I believe. But I quickly got an Oppo 105 when they came out to play everything on. I don't watch a lot of movies [okay game of thrones] I did :) I watch everything on the 105 Now the 105 is connected to the tv by HDMI and to the Luxman by RCAs. It fully functions via the HDMI for dvd Blu-ray movies. Queen , Eagles, Stones, Amy Winehouse dvds are excellent on playback. Cheers, Bluenosens.

20. ghostofzuul

so I have had my oppo for about half a year now... i recently upgraded the interconnects between the oppo and the preamp... in doing so... and after some critical listening... i've come to the conclusion that the DAC in my nuforce edition is slightly better than my standalone TEAC UD-501. i knew the nuforce edition was something special which was the reason for me seeking one out... but now that i've had some time with it i'm beyond impressed...

i know it's possible to stream my digital collection through the oppo but the teac can still hold its own... after all... it's a "world standard" according to hi-fi news... and i like having two different digital sonic profiles... i mean... for years i would switch between vinyl and cd... and so i don't think it's so far fetched to be able to enjoy to distinct sonic profiles equally... and for the most part there's not a lot of overlap between my digital library and my cd collection... so using the oppo is a distinct experience separate from streaming my digital library off of a hard drive...

anyway... this is one instance where i've been pleasantly surprised by a piece of gear... and where all the hype i read about it before i got it seems to be justified... that's not always the case... in fact... more often than not it's the opposite....

21. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I was rather tempted to order a Nu-Force board for my 93 before I finally decided upon getting my Direct Stream DAC.

22. knish

knish Forum Resident

Got my Oppo 95; what a beaut! But I'll probably leave it in stock condition to use with my current home theater rig. The desktop/JRiver/Exasound e38 (or another USB multi DAC) 5.1 system I'll build in the other room seems the most cost effective way to best exploit DVD and BD sound quality.

23. ghostofzuul

when i got my oppo i read that there were some fake NuForce editions out there... not wanting to jinx myself... i never actually opened mine up to make sure it had the right board and matching serial #'s on the chassis and on the board... i decided today was the day i was going to find out once and for all...

the serial # on the chassis is relatively easy to find. mine is right on the bottom of the player...

[​IMG]

then i cracked open the case... apparently NuForce editions use Special Edition boards with NuForce mods...

[​IMG]

so there we go. matching serial #'s... NICE! lol.

i've read that the fake NuForce editions have the red NuForce badge on the front of the player but don't say "special edition" on the front and don't have the "special edition" board w/ a NuForce unique serial # that matches the serial # on the chassis. there is some confusion b/c some of the special edition's say "special edition" underneath the analog rca outputs (mine does) but not all of them do. I read that NuForce got a bunch of BDP-83 chassis from oppo and converted them and sold them directly... but also that you could send your BDP-83 to NuForce to have the modifications done to a unit you bought previously. I think it is a similar situation with the Modwright editions as well... Modwright made several BDP-83 special editions they sold direct... but you could also send away for a kit to do it yourself or send yours to Modwright to have it done... the music room has a Modwright modded BDP-83 and you can see that analog output board is totally different from the NuForce board...

anyway. now i can rest easy...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.