Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

SAY IT AGAIN

:D

boggs, zobalob and hidlive like this.
  2. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I enjoyed the article and the review of what's in store for us come September.

That said, I couldn't help but laugh at these people he described "getting into" this apparently horrible sounding mix (even shushing him when he commented on it).

I'd like to think most of us here would hear the first 10 seconds and say "that's not right..."

Beatle Ed and Bern like this.
  3. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I think so, but then I’m one of the remix-enthousiasts in this forum. You could buy/try the quite cheap ‘standard’ version and play it on your own system.....

4. Yovra

Even when these listening-sessions don’t go wrong I take these with a huge pinch of salt. More often than not it’s really about the impressive audio set-up at Abbey Road and/or the imposing surroundings “It felt like Lennon was there in the room!”.

joeislive likes this.
  5. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

6. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Keep in mind, there were two listening parties, and presumably they didn't screw up both of them! Also, the Atmos presentation came off in both.

there were plenty of delightful surprises lurking in the previous mixes, and lots of outtakes that haven’t made the rounds. The remixes unveil many previously hidden elements in the songs - mostly subtle ones, but exciting to fans all the same - and, speaking as someone who has heard every second of this album hundreds of times since the age of 6, it sounds amazing.

Sneak Preview: Beatles ‘Abbey Road’ 50th Anniversary Edition Features Dazzling Sound, Unreleased Outtakes

7. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

How does that even happen? I mean weren't they just playing either the CD or digital files of the remix? How did the Atmos version work fine but not the stereo? And did they not test at all before it started?

8. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

See what happens when you leave things to Magic Alex...I thought Apple learned their lesson with that guy!

9. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

From the comments:
    The Afternoon Session
    Submitted by John Atkinson on Tue, 2019-08-20 04:15
    Michael Fremer wrote:
    The afternoon session attended by Jim Austin, Art Dudley and John Atkinson among others no doubt went far better!

it did (after a long delay to reboot the system). Correct stereo on "Come Together" and no missing guitar solos on "The End."

John Atkinson
    Technical Editor, Stereophile

FJFP and Shaddam IV like this.
  10. Yovra

I'm still amazed mr. Fremer didn't know "Goodbye".....

hi_watt, Lewisboogie and geekzapoppin like this.
  11. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

George never saw the need for more than one speaker. Maybe this is how he listened to stereo albums.

12. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I can’t believe that this Michael Fremer didn’t know “Goodbye.”

13. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Some Beatle expert!

Lewisboogie, crossroads69 and nasa09 like this.
  14. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Seemed like an opportunity to get in a dig at Paul and his "granny music." He even cared to speculate and how Lennon must have reacted.

It was a home demo for Mary Hopkin...are we even certain the others heard it before it got released?

ralph7109, Bern, Pawnmower and 2 others like this.
  15. recordromantic

recordromantic Forum Resident

Also check page 44 of this thread where I had posted part of the interview with Giles Martin featured in the same Mojo’s article.

16. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Thanks, hadn’t picked up on that comment before. Enlightening.

17. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Thanks for posting that! I somehow missed it scrolling through the remix vs not posts....

I expected the mix changes to be subtle and hope they make a more immersive and enjoyable experience. I’ve enjoyed the new Something mix since it came out.

Interesting that they mixed Come Together 5 times and still felt they couldn’t really improve on the original. For fans of centered drums, they tried it but it didn’t work as well. So let’s see what they finally ended up with....from snippets, it seems like bit of panned drums (verses) and centered (chorus).

18. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Where do I know this from but can't recall?

19. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Well, obviously many people have a different opinion, why the outrage?

I think the best Pepper is still the mono, but I feel the remix is superior to the 67 stereo, which always sounded somewhat disjointed and unbalanced to me (although it still has the best A Day in the Life).
    The main problem with the remix is the mastering, not the mix itself. And even so, I can enjoy it very much.

20. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

YES.

21. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Absolutely. The Esher demos and outtakes are fantastic.

hi_watt, jammincrowe, jfire and 2 others like this.
  22. hidlive

hidlive made you look

Well it's more so because the song is bass-heavy. I'm sure centered drums work with the rest of the album, except for Sun King maybe.

23. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I guess not. According to the video where the Treatles were filmed playing, his little table top stereo had 2 speakers.

24. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I would have liked If Ringo’s Tom hits on CT had moved across the stereo spectrum as he moved from left to right. And each guitar solo in The End should ping pong between left and right instead of all 3 staying in the same channel.

hidlive and MPLRecords like this.
  25. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

It sounds like that's exactly what happens.

pablo fanques likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.