Parting with CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam9, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

In 20 years' time, I'll either be dead or stone deaf.

Besides, I know the difference, and I lean toward original or older versions unless they're mud.

audiomixer and Eric_Generic like this.
  2. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Agreed. Even within the album era, the format and content of the pop/rock album changed, from the two-single plus ten filler songs 25 minute album of the pre-Beatles era, to the fourteen song, 35 minute album of mid-period Beatles, to the nine song, 45 minute album of the Who’s Next or Led Zeppelin 4 era. When CDs supplanted LPs, the length of an album shot up to 53 minutes in the case of OK Conputer and 71 minutes in the case of Oasis’s Be Here Now, because a single CD allows a longer running time than a single LP, and nature abhors a vacuum. Despite the stereotype that streaming has destroyed the album, in some cases, as with Drake’s Scorpion, with a running time of 90 minutes, it has produced albums even longer than those of the CD era.

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

This is one of my biggest annoyances. The last four or five hi-rez downloads (not exactly cheap either) I bought came with no booklet, just a scan of the cover art. I'm more likely to get a digital booklet on Bandcamp from a small independent label for a fraction of the price. The majors have no excuse. It's just laziness and a middle finger to the consumer.

Lost In The Flood and Curveboy like this.
  4. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Yes, I agree with the observations. In fact, I remember reading an article or two in the 1990s about how CDs "ruined the album" because of their longer running time and bands' compulsions to fill up the CD.

5. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Just discovered this thread. Took me a few years to sell off my expansive CD collection. Funds went to help pay for my kids’ college education. I enjoyed my collection for many years but haven’t regretted the divestment for a second. Streaming works great for me, always discovering something new. My decision was the right one for me but I don’t read anything bigger into it. To each their own.

kwf, eric777 and AlecA like this.
  6. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Thank you, dkm. That is an accurate summary.

dkmonroe likes this.
  7. schnitzerphilip

Each of those 12 times people like you purchased a used copy of A New Day Yesterday, Joe Bonamassa lost the very revenue he was complaining about in yesterday's video which you admired sooooooo much.

Joe Bonamassa doesn't care about used CD shops or the so-called "fans" who support them. You bought used Joe Bonamassa CD's, you essentially stole money from Joe Bonamassa and his writers, producers, and musicians.

Howard, please make sure the next album you write is entitled "Hypocrite" and features songs like "Do as I say not as I do" and "Two-faced". Let me know when it's up; I've got my $0.0023 ready to contribute to the plight of so-called "artists" such as yourself.

8. Best thing I've read here today. So effing true!

Somerset Scholar and Man at C&A like this.
  9. schnitzerphilip

Joe Bonamassa and Phil Schnitzer thank you.

dkmonroe likes this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Cheers!

SteveM likes this.
  11. schnitzerphilip

[​IMG]

Doing my part. Sounds very punk-ish.

12. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

I tend to be verbose, so I’ll take exception here by just saying “BALONEY!”

:cheers:
    Cat

kwf and ism like this.
  13. schnitzerphilip

What you just typed is precisely why streaming is good for fans and good for artists. When we're all streaming, we can all listen to whatever we like as often as we like with no restrictions and no expense outside of the reasonable $10 a month.

So I just discovered Nikki & The Corvettes today thanks to this thread. And because I listened to them in Apple Music today, everyone in my family sees that when they launch the app. And if I add it to one of my curated public Playlists, then the 100's of people I follow and/or who follow me see it too. And that's not robbing artists; that's fairly compensating them.

14. schnitzerphilip

Except its not.

Today I discovered Nikki & The Corvettes and yesterday I discovered Joe Bonamassa. If I fire up one of my three BMW's and drive to the local CD shop and buy all 13 of Joe Bonamassa's studio CD's, Joe Bonamassa doesn't see a dime. If instead I purchase all 13 of his CD's from Amazon or stream all 13 of his CD's from Apple Music, Joe Bonamassa and his writers and producers and musicians get compensation.

So don't sit here and tell us that used CD's are harmless. Used CD's are the enemy of sustainable artistry.

15. schnitzerphilip

And that's the point here, really. New CD's, like radio, are primarily designed to compensate record companies and pay off an artists debt. From that exposure, artists tour and sell merchandise and that's when they see significant revenue.

So in that context, Streaming is God for an artist. Because unlike radio (which is random) and CD's (which are expensive) streaming is on-demand and affordable to hundreds of millions of listeners. I've got every Joe Bonamassa CD he's ever made- all 13 studio albums, all 15 live albums, even the 5 LP's he did with Rock Candy Funk Party- they're all sitting in my Apple Music collection and every time they get played, Joe Bonamassa gets paid.

God bless Streaming.

16. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

ANALOGUE OR DEATH Forum Resident

'My 3 BMW's'.Ha Ha.Tells us all we need to know.Jesus on a bike!!

17. schnitzerphilip

It doesn't matter. Spotify has the ability to generate an audience far larger than radio and CD's ever could. Getting paid by Spotify isn't the point. Getting exposure is.

Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora, Tidal, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Snapchat. If you were managing your social media properly, you wouldn't need the pennies from media; you'd be selling out the Paper Valley Hotel 5 nights a week, dating Jillian Bonamassa, and driving a Bentley.

18. schnitzerphilip

In 1973 my sister and I used to sing Three Dog Night songs in our pajamas in our parents unfinished basement. She banged on a Playskool piano while I tapped away on a Lincoln Logs container. We never got paid. We were so good, too.

dkmonroe likes this.
  19. schnitzerphilip

Whoa there, Cat. You have me confused with someone else. I have never, nor would I ever, accuse someone of a mental illness. Especially since it affected my extended family in many ways.

While you're out there giving your very important point of view on how I speak to others, how about you lecture the two posters who last night said I was dropped on my head as a child, held my own grandfather in contempt, and had a mother who gave birth to me on the side of the road. Good?

bicyclops, Gaslight and dkmonroe like this.
  20. schnitzerphilip

Yes, Nettle. Very good point.

The album is dead. Streaming is all about the song. And it's better that way. Albums are just filler to pick the pocket of the fan.

21. schnitzerphilip

Digital booklets support albums, which are dead, and have been replaced by videos and Instagram posts. The way new releases are supported and promoted today provide the listener with a far more robust experience than a piece of printed cardboard.

22. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Pan Sonic's Kesto is almost 4 hours long. What's the problem here (apart from the fact that 71 minutes of Oasis sounds like torture to me).

23. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Three BMW's? If you're telling us this thinking it will impress us.. Dude, Read The Room. Nobody gaf about how many cars you have or how big your house is or isn't.

24. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Yes. A man who must tell us which car(s) he owns clearly wants approval. Despite it being totally irrelevant on a music forum. Do we need this thread to descend into a d*** swinging contest?

25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The John Cale CD I found in a British Heart Foundation charity shop in St. Ives, Cornwall for £2.99. Expensive for a charity shop, but a bargain in terms of the music (it's a Nimbus disc). It was OOP at the time, which is why it took 10 years. I manage to get the 90s CD version of Honi Soit from my local store. The Medication discs were in Volcanic Tongue, Glasgow, a great shop, now sadly closed (it was run by Heather Leigh Murray, formerly of the Charalambides, and David Keenan). VT was always worth a visit when in Scotland.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.