Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Just got my first of two shipments from MMJ which I placed within days of each other. Again, I could have save 2x $9.95 for the Media Mail shipping, but the second order was more of a spontaneous one.

In any event, the first one arrived only one week after placing it, so that means it went across from one coast to the other in very short time for Media Mail.

I got the 45rpm of True Blue, so I'll be able to compare the 45 and 33. The loser will be sold off (If anyone has an interest, let me know). I also got Back To The Tracks in this shipment.

2. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

I decided to prioritize cleaning my recent MMJ purchases, as I can't wait to listen to Fuchsia Swing Song. All of my copies, Fuchsia (45), Judgment! (45), Cape Verdean (33), and Our Thing (45) have perfect pressings. I wish I could say the same for my the recent RTI-, Pallas-, and Optimal-pressed albums.

I have listened to the aforementioned albums before, so there are no big surprises for me as far as the music. Usually, when the music is good enough for me to purchase, excellent mastering pushes my appreciation of the music over the top. That is not the case with Fuchsia, which I will listen to a bit more. Cape Verdean and Our Thing sound like a typical MMJ release to my ears.

Having said that, Judgment! is an eye opener -- I like it a lot and my favorite among the four albums. The mastering and excellent, quiet pressing make the vibes come alive and really complement the piano. I just wish I purchased this album sooner.

timzigs and Joe Harley like this.
  3. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Unfortunately....only a wish....but a damm good one right?

4. Hgavinyl

Hgavinyl Forum Resident

I have some interest in the loser :)

5. AnalogJ

PM me after I post the results. I may not get to the shootout until Monday. I have a very busy weekend in front of me.

Hgavinyl likes this.
  6. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

There’s been a lot of banter about MMJ’s business practices, pricing, etc., but at the end of the day, or more likely, 10 years from now, we’re gonna look back and appreciate the fact that Ron and Joe stuck their necks out to bring us these wonderful sounding records. And it’s highly possible, anything new (i.e. TP, BN80), or even better, has been or will be a derivative of the foresight and devotion of these gentlemen. And I swear I don’t even know either of them :)

7. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Deep bow. Thank you.

george2210, MRT, Twinsfan007 and 22 others like this.
  8. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

I absolutely agree. I’ve discussed this with a buddy and we both agree that in 5, 10, 20 years, we’ll look back thinking how great a time it was to be fans of Blue Note. Fortunately, we’ll have these records to show for it.

9. AmiV

AmiV Forum Resident

Very much so. It is clear as day and has been stated explicitly that what drove BN to produce the TP series, are the new reissue standards set by MMJ. Seeing Joe and Kevin acknowledged along Lion, Wolff, RVG, and Reid Miles on the TP back covers testifies to their achievement and I wish a similar tribute to Ron could also be made, even if he was not involved in the series. Thanks to MMJ, this has been a fabulous decade for us Blue Note fans and we can look forward to its continuation by the successors.

10. AnalogJ

Which is why, much to my wife's chagrin, I'm stocking up on these titles, including MMJ ones.

11. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

This is why, in every single interview I do about the Tone Poet series, I always start by acknowledging Ron and the Music Matters series. Don does this as well.

12. AnalogJ

Oops.

Unfortunately, Music Matters sent the blue vinyl 33 of True Blue instead of the 45. I double-checked, and the catalog number for the one I ordered is, indeed, the 45, so it was their mistake. The 45 is still in stock. I hope they'll take care of it easily and quickly.

13. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

We’ll be praying for you.

birchstick likes this.
  14. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I'd just keep the 33 and ask them for a discount on 45 re-order or at least free shipping.

15. AnalogJ

No, Carol profusely apologized. She sent me a label for its return and will be sending out the 45 tomorrow. Now THAT'S excellent customer service!

Jeff

16. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Public service announcement: Music Direct has Idle Moments and Matador for $39.99. You get 10% of Idle Moments if you find another $20 to spend. Not sure why Matador is t eligible for the 10% off but I ended up getting them even though I already ave both...

Twinsfan007, B-Mike, Briskit and 5 others like this.
  17. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Wow I just checked. That’s crazy. I may buy an extra of idle moments just on principle

Joe Harley and Bryce like this.
  18. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I did! $35.99 after the discount! I got Matador too but for some reason the discount didn’t apply to that one. I added in Funk Inc’s first album remastered by Kevin Gray for $18.99 and John Cale Slow Dazzle for $12. Put a little over $100, but all good deals.

They’ll probably run a $15% deal for Labor Day but I didn’t want to chance them getting wise to selling a MMJ for close to original pricing and bump it up or take away the discount on both...

AnalogJ, Joe Harley and recstar24 like this.
  19. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Thank you! Just grabbed Idle Moments — even with shipping to Australia it's the cheapest I've seen it.

blutiga and Joe Harley like this.
  20. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Thanks brother! Matador's all gone, but snagged Idle Moments.

SJR and Joe Harley like this.
  21. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Major score! Congratulations!!

SJR and Briskit like this.
  22. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Thanks you sir. Are we getting a new cover for upcoming "Born to be Blue"? Any chance of sneak peek?:agree:

blutiga likes this.
  23. Damn Idle Moments gone. This is what I get for spending a day off the forum!!! I’ve been needing that one for a long while

Twinsfan007, AnalogJ and musictoad like this.
  24. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Seriously! Arggggghhhh

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  25. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Wow, that went quick!