Parting with CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam9, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Please provide the empirical evidence that streaming is good for artists. I’m willing to entertain your defense of streaming with proof.

Nikki & The Corvettes notwithstanding, do you really think you can persuade more folks to jump into the stream when the water looks dirty?

Reality, like gravity, is a harsh mistress. It’s doubtful that anyone cares what you curate online any more that they care what I collect on CD. To impress uninitiated music fans requires exposuring them to unfamiliar music in a controlled setting, such as an informal gathering of friends or a party.

No offense, but I’m becoming persuaded by your arrogance that the only folks following your posted opinions are people who like being led. As for fair compensation, you haven’t proven that streaming provides that.

:cheers:
    Cat

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    no.nine, Colocally and Pop_Zeus like this.
  2. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Modern Dad approves this message.

mikestar likes this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

What you guys take away from his post is very revealing. I read it at least twice and the "3 BMW's" line didn't even register for me. :laugh:

4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Wow. Thanks for that, buddy. Much appreciated. Never knew I couldn't think for myself.

5. schnitzerphilip

Don't worry. They're not the arrogant ones judging others and seeking validation for an unpopular lifestyle decision. LOL.

The thread title really needs to be changed to "Keeping My CD's, Living With Hypocrisy"

dkmonroe likes this.
  6. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Back to ignore for you. Your posts are quite juvenile.

7. schnitzerphilip

If it is true that most artists don't make money off of physical media and they hope to just break-even to offset debt and use it as a way to build an audience so they can make coin on live performances, then Streaming is definitely better because it has the potential to drive a much larger audience than terrestrial radio and a PR man ever could.

I'm not arrogant. Just realistic. And putting a "cheers" emoji at the end of your sniping posts doesn't make it right to snipe.

dkmonroe likes this.
  8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I still own a MiniDisc....does that count?

Pop_Zeus and Colocally like this.
  9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

He was talking about used CD's and I already provided the numbers. A few times now.

I more enjoy the trolling and how people react to it. It's entertaining, but also somewhat enlightening.

And I do agree with him on how streaming users are vilified here and how there's a steady stream of hypocrisy, as a result.

10. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I love my CDs. I maybe don't play them as often as I used to, but I still pop one in fairly often. I do buy a lot of music from HDtracks, some of the albums are ones I own on CD. But I like to have a physical copy too I guess. And many albums can't be found in hi res. Streaming is fine, I use it to preview music I will buy.

I know it isn't as common for music, but if you love a certain artist, and suddenly they are gone from Spotify or other sites you are out of luck. I know that doesn't happen as much in music as it does on something like Netflix, but it could happen. Plus I just like owning the music, reading the liner notes. Most CDs have decent booklets, I guess it just adds to the experience for me.

I started buying CDs around 1999, so I do remember paying $18 for new CDs. But that was right about when the bubble burst, except for places like Sam Goody. I sometimes paid $25 for a single CD. Crazy I know, I guess I figured I was in the mall, might as well get the disc while I was there.

I feel old talking about Sam Goody, kids these days would probably think the store would be a knockoff Sam's Club. Saying "kids these days" makes me feel even older.

11. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Sam Goody? Whaddabout Record World:

12. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

MiniDisc steals music without compensating the original artists.

Spencer R and Gaslight like this.
  13. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Bear in mind that's the rate paid to the rights holder. That rate doesn't necessarily make it all the way to the artists. Various people and organisations will take their cut along the way, as they do with a CD or LP. There has also been accusations of fraud via Tidal streams. How big a problem is fraud remains unclear.

14. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

That might have been the best record store advertisement I've ever seen. The flashing and neon. And squishing the tomato was the icing on the cake!

15. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

People have to be secure with their choices. It's the extremists who we have to be careful of. Spotify isn't the enemy and CD's don't have to be disposed of and burned.

16. schnitzerphilip

Sidebar:

Believe it or not, I've been enjoying the Joe Bonamassa Essentials playlist on Apple Music. Does anyone know if the song "I'll Take Care Of You" is available in a mix without that awful lead guitar?

17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Agreed on Tidal's business dealings, but then there have been stories here on artists who never received royalties from CD sales also. I have to assume that these artists are getting paid what is claimed, else hopefully they'd be pulling their albums off Tidal.

And tmk those numbers are royalties. If the artist is only getting a percentage of that from the rights holder I would recommend that they renegotiate, no different than they would a CD or LP royalty rate.

18. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Bob Mould is the man to ask about royalties from record labels. He has had some unfortunate dealings in the past.

Never mind buying an used Sugar CD, just steal it. Because you can be sure Bob Mould probably hasn't ever seen a cent from it, even when bought new.

19. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I actually saw a used CD of his yesterday.

Didn't buy it.

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  20. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

So do I, first generation still plays but doesn't record. Buried in my closet. Not a format I would promote, though loved it at the time in 1994?

Pop_Zeus and Gaslight like this.
  21. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Music has been at the centre of the culture wars before. If I had no physical product I'd be concerned that pressure from any number of groups might see their ideology imposed on streaming services, and certain tracks, even artists, could be culled or only available in bowdlerised form. Tipper Gore on steroids.

22. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

I have less cars than you, and they are not BMWs. You win! :biglaugh:

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  23. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Exhibit A of totally uncalled-for vilification of streamers whose only "sin" is legally using services the market offers them.

24. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

My CDs and I have been through too much together to get rid (that and I like the SQ). Sound naff, but true.

In fact I re-cluttered last year and dug more out of storage boxes.

25. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

"If" is a mighty big word when evidence isn't provided in support of it. We've already gotten some idea of the piddling percentages from streaming though and a lot of artists aren't happy.

The friendly "cheers" emoji is almost always at the end of my posts, regardless of content, and the only time I've ever ever sniped is the occasional eBay bid, and with CDs I prefer BIN to streaming. :winkgrin:

Seriously, artists likely benefit more from unit sales of each CD ...even without any shared profit for resale... than they're likely to see royalty-wise from hundreds of streamed songs.

It's entirely possible that given the similarities to many comments made your's may have been conflated with another's. That said, you should have a DNA test, he may be a not so distant relative.

:cheers:
    Cat

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Howard Bleach likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.