Parting with CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam9, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

We're there anyway. Regardless of how you may feel about, say, R. Kelly, his music has been censored or banned by many of the streaming services.

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  2. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

3. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

:laugh::righton:

EG.

Shiver likes this.
  4. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

He sounds like my granddad going on about how all this used to be fields.
    i was a lifelong (im 42) vinyl buyer, i was always searching out record stores to find lost music, records i needed, alternate takes etc. then i realised apple music syncs with my existing digital library. i have only bought one record this year and i haven't even opened it.
    i can now play all my music and all the music i want all the time from my phone. ive started selling the records off.

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Fair enough, but who says that the grand-dad who goes on about 'this used to all be fields' doesn't have a good point?

6. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

People want to eat the sweet corn, but they don't want to plant it...
    (probably don't even know what a fresh stalk of corn looks like, for that matter.)

389 Tripower and Man at C&A like this.
  7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Doesn't sound naff at all. Why wouldn't you want to be around music? Just because a new mindset comes into play doesn't make other options obsolete. This whole "I don't want physical media" thing will go full circle, it always does.

Shiver, clhboa and Eric_Generic like this.
  8. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Well, I've got three sweetcorns in the fridge because they had it at half price. I'm going to cook one later. The farmers used to sell it where I lived in Massachusetts. Nothing beats fresh sweetcorn.

9. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

He has a point. And the clock cannot be turned back once those fields are built over.

10. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

they paved paradise and put up a parking lot

389 Tripower and clhboa like this.
  11. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

No. We have other musicians stating emphatically that physical media sales never paid the bills either. That once the production costs and the money fronted by the label is paid back they are lucky to break even, and then they take that platform of PR push and CD sales to tour and sell tickets and t-shirts.

So this entire argument of "streaming doesn't pay a lot" is no different than "CD's don't pay a lot" and before that "cassettes don't pay a lot". The difference is that the number of streams seems so staggering compared to physical media sales, and that's just a perception problem. The reality is that what the artists expect from the sale of their music hasn't changed. What has changed, for the better, is the reach. There are a lot more streams promoting an artist than there ever was on terrestrial radio or because a 45 could be bought at a record store.

So all of these artists should stop the whining. Streaming is treating them no differently than the industry machine has going back to the 1940's. And due to its reach, streaming is better than physical for them. Go tour. Stay on the road for 24 months. Do some real work. That'll pay the bills.

12. schnitzerphilip

Mild censorship is good. I don't need my kids hearing the crap that's out there right now. In fact, in Apple Music I have the explicit content filter enabled, I bet most adults do likewise.

13. schnitzerphilip

[​IMG]

Well done.

Putting those CD's out to pasture was the best decision I've made in music in the last 10 years. Same for the HomePod. As an Apple Music subscriber, please tell me you've purchased one.

14. schnitzerphilip

Everyone else on the planet.

You know, sometimes the majority happens to be right.

15. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

average per-stream payouts from the company are between $0.006 and $0.0084
    (source: How Musicians Make Money — Or Don’t at All — in 2018 )

After the label, the distributor and the retailer took their cut, an artist could expect to make $1.20 from selling an album on CD.

Let’s assume there are 10 tracks on an album — seems like a fair average. So: Artist revenue from selling a single track on a CD = $0.12
    (source: Were Artists Really Paid More In The 90s? )

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  16. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

It's pointless to engage this. He's approaching this topic entirely from the perspective of self-interest/greed (he's a recording artist).

If market practice A pays him less money than market practice B, then people who engage in market practice A are evil.

Possibly someone to be pitied, but not someone whose perspective on this topic is worth more than a used Third Eye Blind CD to a group larger than himself and anyone else similarly situated.

I think it's unfortunate when people can't see a world larger than the one that directly affects their own self-interests, but that's often the case.

17. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

Plus an artist gets income from the licensing of material to us humble reissue labels stubborn enough to insist on physical media. The only time they may not get a royalty payment from the money the majors receive is if there's still an amount owed on the recording. The fewer titles being licensed for physical media of some sort because people think streaming is the progressive way of listening, the less the artist receives. In fact, as I've found the hard way, at times the money us third parties pay the labels to license and reissue an album means that long lost album may eventually show up on streaming services, although to no benefit to us who paid for its reissue. So without someone making the effort to license the album for physical release, thus causing the owner to review the contract and pull out the masters for transfer, then fewer "lost" albums will ever be rediscovered.

18. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

And sometimes they are horribly wrong.

no.nine, Lost In The Flood and clhboa like this.
  19. schnitzerphilip

$0.12 cents ÷ $0.0072 cents = 17

So for that same track to generate the same $0.12 cents for that artist, it has to be streamed 17 times. I can tell you with authority that over the course of the 10/20/30 years a consumer will own the physical CD copy of Adele's 21 album I will have streamed all of those tracks far, far more than 17 times each. Hell, last year alone I must have streamed that album 20 times.

Like I said, the issue with streaming is one of perception. You post up those tiny fractions of a penny and people react negatively. Because they don't comprehend a) how many hundreds of millions of subscribers there are, and b) how few streams are actually necessary to generate the same amount of profit as a CD, and c) how many years a CD lasts in someone's collection.

dkmonroe likes this.
  20. schnitzerphilip

What, that climbing up in the attic, rifling through a dozen cardboard boxes, and dirtying ones knees to find that 30 year old Culture Club CD is a better experience than uttering the phrase "Hey Siri, play Kissing To Be Clever"?

I haven't seen a corded phone in use for the last 30 years or an answering machine in use in the last 20. I can't tell you to stop using these relics, but don't tell me the majority is wrong with their smartphones. Sometimes the truth is self-evident.

21. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

22. schnitzerphilip

Yeah, I bought a 3rd one for my elder son going off to college a few weeks ago, the $199 price really makes it irresistible for Apple Music streamers to add a few more here and there.

More importantly than the lower price are the new features coming with iOS13, the big one being that the voice recognition software will be able to differentiate Apple Music users within the same family, office, dorm, etc. So when my youngest son says "Hey Siri, play Hot Potato by the Wiggles" Apple Music won't recommend it to me the next time I say "Hey Siri, play my favorite songs", closing one of the last loops that (infrequently) made the experience questionable.

23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Utter rubbish. But I think you know that. Not doubting there's a large majority though, or what they are doing is right for them.

I don't question the appeal or convenience of what you've been posting about. It's all good, but it's not for everyone.

Pop_Zeus and Curveboy like this.
  24. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Well, I won't hold it against you.;)

25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yeah, but there's an opposite side of the coin where people want something for nothing.

Howard Bleach likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.